• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Tips for fitting a heel into a neck pocket?

The neck heel is tight in the pocket, but the strings aren't aligned properly. The high E is too close to the edge.

How do you approach a situation like this? Would using a vibrating sander be too much?

Ripthorn

Sandpaper on a firm block, sand in one direction. Fir the record, I would sand the bass side of the neck pocket to allow you to angle the headstock toward the bass side for better high e clearance.

John Coloccia

Cold Supporting Member
The neck heel is tight in the pocket, but the strings aren't aligned properly. The high E is too close to the edge.

How do you approach a situation like this? Would using a vibrating sander be too much?
You haven't convinced me that the neck is misaligned.

And even if you had, you haven't convinced me which part is misaligned...the neck or the body.

It could be as simple as a poorly cut nut.

Please take it to a competent tech to diagnose and figure out. To answer your question directly, a vibrating sander would ALWAYS be the wrong the answer. If anything needed to be done, chisels and/or files of some sort would be the correct approach. Maybe a sanding block of some sort. Any sort of vibrating sanding tool thingy will just lead to a mess of rounded, oblong, oddly shaped edges. They're designed for finish work, not precision woodworking.

VaughnC

Silver Supporting Member
Tough call without actually having the guitar in my hands. Whether it would be better to shave the neck or the pocket takes some experienced eyes. And, if the neck has finish on it, it might need refinished if you sand the finish away.

What you really have to be careful with is any work done in the neck pocket it's very important to keep the neck pocket's side walls perpendicular to the pocket floor...which isn't easy with basic hand tools. Sometimes an old tremblock with stick on sandpaper will work to keep the side walls perpendicular, but I typically use a drill press with a wood shaving bit to carefully widen neck pockets when needed. But each case is a little different.

Sounds like a job for someone with experience unless this is a cheap guitar that you don't care if you mess up?

Last edited:

larry1096

I realize you said the pocket is tight, but have you TRIED correcting the alignment with a little tug? The geometry of a neck is such that extremely small movements at the pocket can have noticeable changes in the string alignment.

Larry

Trending Topics