Tips for Suhr Hedgehog!

fatbagg

Gold Supporting Member
It’s a unique amp and I’m curious about some ways people are using it. I know there’s a trick floating around about the loop return, though I don’t know what it is. I’m assuming maybe using loop as the master so you can push the drive more? Anyways, thanks!

Husky

It’s a unique amp and I’m curious about some ways people are using it. I know there’s a trick floating around about the loop return, though I don’t know what it is. I’m assuming maybe using loop as the master so you can push the drive more? Anyways, thanks!
Yes, simple as that. For the lead channel make sure you get the level up to 4 or 5 and use the return level as the final amp master.

The other thing is on lead channel always kick in the Boost and or mid boost, at least I do. I play with the bright on or off and play with the depth. The depth is two step and is in the output section so its friendly with clean or drive. Also remember the EQ stack is like a pre overdrive filter as are the boost and midboost. There is a balance you can get using the programable switches and once you find it with the guitar it is magic, obviously the first gain affects the drive channel too. Depending on what cab you have and speakers you might want to tweak the internal EQ in the drive section. There is an internal tone stack which is easy to access under a plate but you need to take the head out of the shell. I wouldn't tweak those until you have exhausted all settings, they are pretty dialed in and be careful in there. That is something Mr D would play with for a particular artist. Don't touch anything except the EQ pots which are pretty obvious

fatbagg

Gold Supporting Member
Yes, simple as that. For the lead channel make sure you get the level up to 4 or 5 and use the return level as the final amp master.

The other think is on lead channel always kick in the Boost and or mid boost, at least I do. I play with the bright on or off and play with the depth. The depth is two step and is in the output section so its friendly with clean or drive. Also remember the EQ stack is like a pre over drive filter as are the boost and midboost. There is a balance you can get using the programable switches and once you find it with the guitar its magic, so obviously the first gain affects the drive too. Depending on what cab you have and speakers you might want to tweak the EQ in the drive section. There is an internal tone stack which is easy to access under a plate. I wouldn't tweak those until you have exhausted all settings, they are pretty dialed in and be careful in there. don't touch anything except the EQ pots which are pretty obvious
Awesome, thanks John. I’ll report back! While you are ‘here’, I also am receiving a Badger v2, anything I should know it helpful things with that guy?

Husky

Just that you really need to play with the key controls, Gain, Power and Drive, read the manual and then play with them at the extremes so you know what they do. For instance I'll run the Drive lower than Power with Humbuckers but with singles I might want some squish. Don't push the gain higher than you need and use the boost instead if you want much more past 5.

fatbagg

Gold Supporting Member
Just that you really need to play with the key controls, Gain, Power and Drive, read the manual and then play with them at the extremes so you know what they do. For instance I'll run the Drive lower than Power with Humbuckers but with singles I might want some squish. Don't push the gain higher than you need and use the boost instead if you want much more past 5.
Awesome. I appreciate that.

fatbagg

Gold Supporting Member
So I’m my first two hours playing it I realized I barely touched knobs, more pressing buttons! The EQ at noon is really good and balanced. I went from clean to a fat, slippery bluesy and bold, molasses and barbecue kinda cool smoky flavor, something that was just a fraction of this beautiful palette that is the hedgehog.
Then I began to realize how versatile this amp is, and that a lot of that was how responsive it is to playing dynamics. I decided to see how close I could get to my SL67. Despite being VERY different amps I was shocked that I could at least get in the ballpark.

I’ll post a link to some quick Day 0 audio. Amazing amp. I wonder if this and the Badger are similar?

bsic

Silver Supporting Member
So I’m my first two hours playing it I realized I barely touched knobs, more pressing buttons! The EQ at noon is really good and balanced. I went from clean to a fat, slippery bluesy and bold, molasses and barbecue kinda cool smoky flavor, something that was just a fraction of this beautiful palette that is the hedgehog.
Then I began to realize how versatile this amp is, and that a lot of that was how responsive it is to playing dynamics. I decided to see how close I could get to my SL67. Despite being VERY different amps I was shocked that I could at least get in the ballpark.

I’ll post a link to some quick Day 0 audio. Amazing amp. I wonder if this and the Badger are similar?
Congrats man!

Badger is not at all close IMO. I played them right next to each other and walked out with the hedgehog. I do find the badger more responsive and responsive to volume control. It roars. Much more in the Marshall camp. Like you said the hog can get pretty damn close if you push the mids. It has more low end imo than a plexi style but the low end is not quite as tight. You can’t have it all- but at least the bass button controls the power section (depth) so things don’t flub out like a typical D style. I’ll also say the badger was incredibly bright, great with my les Paul but way too much with a PRS.

I went with the hog due to the flexibility, channel switching, midi, and amount of gain on tap. That singing sustain that feeds back so effortlessly has been addicting!

I played it in band context for the first time a few weeks ago and I was blown away, thunderous.

that said, I’ll still probably get a badger at some point too. :) I really dig the size and sound of that thing.

@Husky is the mid boost button more like a bass cut? I noticed that the tone control are all passive, setting them all to zero cuts the sound completely. Boost bypasses them all. That I know. Are the mid and treble preset EQ curves, of so how do they overlap with the tone controls when the boost is off?

Talus

How are you guys balancing the clean and drive channels? I'd love some tips as I'm struggling a bit.

I find the clean channel to have an absolute ton of bottom end. Even with the deep off and bright on, it's a bit on the bottom heavy side, whereas the drive side seems quite a lot thinner and brighter and gets shrill and fizzy fairly quickly even with everything off but the deep. I can get absolutely killer tones out of both channels, but at very different EQ settings. I've been running both volumes around 4-5 using the FX loop as a master as suggested by Husky. Also using a Mesa 2x12 Lonestar cab with G12-65s. I know it's a slightly smaller cab with a different back, but with the same speakers would it really be that much different from a Hedgehog 2x12?

bsic

Silver Supporting Member
I definitely run the level lower on the clean channel. about 2-3 lower than the OD channel.

I run the clean channel without boost, and the OD channel with boost (ie EQ knobs bypassed). Clean channel i use the EQ knobs and dial back the bass for my les paul else its too boomy. coupling that with OD mode with boost and mid buttons on, it balances well!

If i start adding in the boost with the clean channel, i cant get a good balance between clean, boost/clean, and OD. the boost/clean combination is always a bit too loud.

Talus

That is where the internal eq's are helpful.
I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything before opening the amp up. Being that it's tuned for the matching cab, which has the same speakers as my cab I kind of figured that I shouldn't really need to touch those, unless the difference between the Lonestar cabs size and back configuration does actually make a significant difference. Just want to eliminate the possibility of user error first.

VerodaClient

Don't know if it's been asked before but would it be possible to link the internal EQs to something on outside of the amp? Maybe have the default settings notched?

Trending Topics