Tips for the Atomic Amplifire

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by MrWulf, Apr 28, 2016.

1. MrWulf

MrWulf Member

Hi all. So finally I managed to grab an Atomic Amplifire. Sounds great so far. However, I have one or two question on using it. As it is right now I can only use the Amplifire with my headphone (an AKG Q701). Even though chords on hi gain stuffs sound huge, single strings sound rather anemic and dry. I know that because I'm listening through a headphone so it is not as realistic as running through a cab or a PA system, but is there anyway to improve the sound of the Amplifire through the headphone? Maybe a touch of reverb like in real life or a change of IR? And also, in earlier thread I said that I have a Blackstar ID 15TVP, and you can configure the line in/phones out as FX loop, so is it possible to use the Amplifire into the Blackstar via the FX loop? Thanks a lot!

2. Montana Slim

Montana Slim Member

I also play mostly through headphones. I purchased the Michael Britt presets (15 or 20 bucks). Although I think they are meant for live use, with a few adjustments like turning off the boost in the Marshall presets and lowering the amp level, they sound better with HPs than anything I could dial in.

3. acroberts

acroberts Member

+1 on Michael Britt's preset pack - he did an awesome job with those.

Chris Hayden likes this.
  4. Imerkat

Imerkat Supporting Member

All of the above. Don't know if you are using the default presets but putting the Compressor in post Studio RMS mode will smooth it out some. not all IR's are created equal but if you don't want to go down that rabbit hole there are great free ones on the google drive share page

5. MrWulf

MrWulf Member

Where's the drive share page? Thanks a lot. And also, I have a few free IRs, most of em' are for metal and such. So do you know good IR for clean and bluesy kind of tones?

6. Guitar1969

Guitar1969 Member

I have been checking the Atomic Amplifire out a bit lately. I am really curious about the other effects and what can be done, which is the thing holding me back - Amps and Cabs sound great but the rest of the effects seems just so so from the sound clips I have heard. I know they are working on the other effects to (4 tap delay) but I would need to get rid of a few other pedals (Delays and Reverb) in order to justify the cost and board space and not sure the current effects will work for me. I need to be able to do some ambient too and not sure the Amplifier can get there.

7. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Silver Supporting Member

Not sure how crazy you want to get in that direction; but @singtall Glass or Church presets have some ambient stuff going on, iirc.

8. Imerkat

Imerkat Supporting Member

9. MixMinisterMike

MixMinisterMike Member

10. Mandrax

Mandrax Member

You need to pm @Lawless33 or @chrisjnyc - send them your e-mail address and request access to the Amplifire google drive

11. Jhatem81

Jhatem81 Member

right now i am using an H9 through the effects loops. I use headphones for practice but practicing to an MP3 is a pain. I have to basically take the H9 out. Is there is an external device i can use that will let me practice with headphone and Mpe(phone) while keeping H9 in the loop?

12. dbagchee

dbagchee Supporting Member

I would pickup a small mixer for that: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/502

Jhatem81 likes this.
  13. mattball826

mattball826 Member

Small mixer or multi channel audio interface

14. Guitar1969

Guitar1969 Member

Yep - I use the Alto ZMX52 version of that one for this very reason:

Just be careful as some of the small mixers out there do not allow you to monitor the Aux in with the other channels via headphones .

I also put a cheap $10 Bluetooth receiver on my Aux in (Need an RCA to 3.5mm female cable) but it allows me to stream my phone or Mp3 player directly to it.

15. GeoffP

GeoffP Member

for me the delays are usable for ambient but not the verbs. but then i am spoilt with an h9/timeline combination. Amplifire is wonderful with them!

16. Guitar1969

Guitar1969 Member

Yeah I have a Boss DD-500 Delay and Boss RV-6 Reverb in the loop along with a Zoom MS-70CDR so I can get there with those, but hoping the AF can do it with the onboard effects at some point. The effects are pretty limiting at this pont, especially because there's no modulation on the delays at this point.