Tips on Deluxe reverb reissue

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Kinkirsi, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Kinkirsi

Kinkirsi Member

I have an original blackface deluxe reverb that is getting a going over by my tech. The amp has been modded substantially. Anyway, I borrowed a new reissue Deluxe and was wondering what inputs sound the best and how you set them up with overdrives or distortion to get a fluid sustainig lead sound. I'm trying to get away from the tubescreamer deal and more into a LIQUID marshall like tone. Anyway I am running into the first input of the vibrato channel with the volume at 3and a half, treble and bass both around 4, its just starting to break up when i hit the strings hard,great ryhthm tone, the jensen in it that I thought was too bright is now starting to break in. For lead I have a silver modded tube screamer with the gain maxed, sounds okay but the bridge pickup sounds brittle. I am thinking of keeping the reissue as a back up and would appreciate any tips on how to get the optimum cleans and the best singing lead tones.Thanks.

2. gdwill2u

gdwill2u Member

The cleans are what they are, the best sounding Fender clean available (in my opinion). As for the dirt channel, I have not found a box that will give me a solid liquid crunch, they all sound buzzy through the DRRI to my ears. I have heard many pedals suggested for this amp, but they all fall kind of short to me. I love the clean sound and the natural break up of the DRRI so much that I have another amp for the dirt channel and I A/B between them.

3. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

V-Stack Classic does the Marshall thing great into a DR... Also hear great things about the Lovepedal Eternity.

4. Kinkirsi

Kinkirsi Member

Whats your dirty amp?

5. Kinkirsi

Kinkirsi Member

Yeah they sound cool, I'm tryin' to get away from the Trey like tone with my hollowbody and in to a bit more of a liquidy fusion tone, My original deluxe I run thru a bruno 4/12 with celestion blues, nothing buzzy abut the lead tone, I just wanted more of a "signature" tone.

6. shuffle

shuffle Member

I've been looking at getting one of these too.

How hard do you have to drive the amp before it starts to break up? Is it posible to get it to overdrive at bedroom levels??

Also, the latest RI, like one made this year, is there anything suss about them?? Do they sound as good as one made a few years ago??

Thanks,

7. Kinkirsi

Kinkirsi Member

Mine with humbuckers starts to break up at about 3 and a half, its too loud really to play lead unless your in a basement.:RoCkIn

8. shuffle

shuffle Member

Do single coils need less volume to break up or more?

And for rythme chanel, would 4 be ok for Home use?

Cheers

9. JES1680

JES1680 Silver Supporting Member

I love my DRRI. A couple of things I've done to get it to work better with pedals and give me a better gain sound. First, ditch the bright cap on the verb channel. I'm running a V30 speaker which helps keep the low end tight and gets rid of the high end fizz. Mine was virtually unuseable with an OD and the Jensen.

For liquid singing solos on the cheap, try a Barber Direct Drive. You can usually find them used for around $80.00. Otherwise an OCD does a pretty good job as well. Of course theres the Eternity and Landgraff.

If I've got room, I run mine on 7, use my R9 with WCRs and using my guitar vol it will go from (mostly) clean to sining leads without any pedals.

Toss in some NOS Brimars or RCAs and its even better

10. Jayson Chance

Jayson Chance Member

Get rid of that Jensen speaker! They do ok for clean stuff, but are buzzy/metallic in Deluxe reisssues when you try to get some real gain going on...
    The Weber 12F150 is warm, fluid, and much darker than the Jensen... Much easier to get closer to a "woman tone," although a DRRI isn't exactly designed for *that...* ;-)

JC

11. papablue

papablue Member

Kinkirsi,

I am in the same EXACT boat as you right now. Just got a DRRI, and love the cleans. I can get a great rhtyhm breakup tone with my FatBoost.
    I too want to get away from the Trey like tone I have w/ my FD2 and want something more fusion-y, ala Jimmy Herring, Santana, etc.

I might try out the OCD tonight from my local shop.

12. tmac

tmac Goldmember Gold Supporting Member

Amen to those suggestions. For an OD pedal to work well the bright cap has to go. A speaker change is very good too. I use a Reverend Alltone that works well for classic Deluxe Rev tones. I've retubed the whole amp with JJ's and they're pretty nice. NOS RCA's would be better but I just can't see spending that kind of cash on it. I use a Barber Direect Drive SS that really gets nice tones with the DRRI, but it really sounds best cranked up.:BEER

13. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

I have a love/hate relationship with my Deluxe Reverb RI. I loved the cleans and dirty rhythm after going to an ancient Electrovoice SRO, but then the dang thing weighted a ton. I went to black base RCA tubes and a Weber Blue Dog, and have been combining an old TC Electronics Sustain + Parametric EQ compressor with a Barber Direct Drive SS. Not the best low-noise combination, but the liquid, singing tone is there. With just the TC compressor I can cop a pretty decent SRV tone as well. What's lacking is whomping bottom end, but that's the rub with most Deluxe Reverbs. Can decide whether to keep it or sell it...(sigh)...:rolleyes:

peace,

jb

14. trower

trower Silver Supporting Member

Amen on pulling out the Jensen...I also installed a V30 in my Blackface, put a Tech21 GT2 in front and that seemed to do the trick, on the down side the amp is friggin loud!...

15. papablue

papablue Member

Trying not to hijack the thread, but to chime in....
    With a PRS, the new DRRI, what would pedal would get me near the Holdsworth/Herring searing, but not crunchy leads?

16. papablue

papablue Member

Trying not to hijack the thread, but to chime in....
    With a PRS, the new DRRI, what would pedal would get me near the Holdsworth/Herring searing, but not crunchy leads? Will the OCD do that?

17. Kinkirsi

Kinkirsi Member

Thanks for the sugestions, the hughes and kettner tube factors are nice as well I would imagine, Jimmy Herring gets some mojo from them with his blackface amps.. I think the deluxe is a great starting spot for finding great tone.

18. gdwill2u

gdwill2u Member

My second amp is a Mesa F50 which I simply love. The clean is not too shabby too. In fact I guess if I was forced to choose I would get rid of the DRRI and keep the Mesa because then I get a very good clean channel and an excellent (for me) dirty channel with all the crunch and liquid smooth sustain I need.

But as long as I have room I will never get rid of my DRRI. I put in a Weber F150 speaker (mine came with the emminance not the Jenkins) and I put in all NOS tubes.

I know that if I sold the DRRI I would miss it, and probably end up getting another one, so I will try not and make that mistake.