Tips on integrating a Fuzz Face into my board?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Crowder, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

Just got a Basic Audio Solar Myth fuzz face clone. I love the sound of the pedal, but it doesn't seem to cut through when I have other pedals engaged. Any tips?

Editing with more details...

My tone generally comes from stacking light boosts to get progressively dirtier tones from my Goodsell Super 17. I have the amp set with a tiny bit of edge, and there are a handful of pedals on my board that add a few db's each until I get the tone I need for a certain tune or solo. These boost stages come from things like an EP Boost, SP Comp, Dr. Scientist RRR, and for out-and-out dirt, a Plimsoul. I normally have 1 or 2 of these engaged for rhythm (with guitar volume turned down at times) and 2-3 engaged for a solo.

I have the Solar Myth first in my chain (*after* my Polytune). It sounds great on its own. When I try to add one of the boost stages after that, it doesn't do what I expect (i.e. raise the overall level of signal). It gets very muddy and messy and not much louder. Adding delay after it is a predictable mess too.

My thought is to set the fuzz up as if it will be the only thing on when it is engaged. This will mean setting the Level control quite a bit higher than unity and rolling off the guitar volume as needed. Is this the typical way these are used?

Sorry for the goofy question. This is my first "real" fuzz, replacing a Lunar Module.

2. primativ

primativ Member

Putting a treble booster before or after, works with dull fuzzes.

3. bandintheclouds

bandintheclouds Supporting Member

This. And it is kind of a nice thing to be able to use the fuzz with or without a noticeable volume increase. A boosted fuzz face makes an excellent lead tone.

I also play a Goodsell S17 much of the time with a similar approach of several gain stages on top of the amp set at edge of breakup. A fuzz face with an lpb-1 or similar booster in front of it, works impeccably.

4. captaincoconut

captaincoconut Member

It helps a lot to use a Fuzz Face style pedal in combination with a Tubescreamer or something similiar. The Tubescreamer will bring back the mids and help to cut better through the mix. I also really like Fuzz Faces with a Timmy or Jan Ray.

5. playthecray

playthecray Member

I also own a Goodsell S17 head. I set the amp the same way as described above and use a Monsterpiece Ge which is first in my chain and a TIM last in the dirt chain. Those two pedals work really well together. The fuzz knob is not dimed on the pedal and I am using quite a bit of volume as well. The TIM is set clean which is always on. The EQ on the TIM also helps. The other fuzz pedal that works exceptionally well with the Goodsell S17 is an AM Astrotone. Tremendous pairing with the TIM that I sometimes miss. Worked great with humbuckers as well.

6. Dubious

Dubious Member

i've experimented with stacking dirt over and over again... in the end it never works for me. Esp with fuzz's.

lately i've taken to setting all my pedals to unity gain... and maxed out on the gain (or left it in a sweet spot). I roll my volume back to cleanup the pedal if need be.

my rig sounds WAY clearer doin it this way.

the only"boost" i use is a dynacomp into my overdrive or on my clean tone.

ymmv