Tips on Making Line6 Flextone II Sound Good?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by DavidE, Feb 7, 2008.

1. DavidE

DavidE Member

Yes, I'm used to tube amps. Some really good ones in fact.

I picked up a used Flextone III XL for some fun and figure it would be good for gigging if I could make it sound good. Well, no real luck with that so far.

Any suggestions on how to make this amp sound good enough to gig with?

Thanks!

2. samtheman

samtheman Member

Put buffered pedal to front ???

/sam

3. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member

I think if you are used to some real good tube amps, then you are going to have a hard time getting the Flextone to sound up to par. I had a Flextone, but that was before I was able to get some good tube amps. The Flextone is versatile, especially with a cover band gig, but a tube amp is a tube amp.
    I guess you may have to sacrifice some tone for the flexibility.
    That being said, I am a fan of Line 6 stuff, and think it all has its place, especially some of there pedals.
    Just my $.02
    Good Luck

4. bluescube

bluescube Supporting Member

You really need to tweak with a PC. I had a Flextone II and had some good tones but in the end I went with a Palomino V32 tube amp and I don't constantly tweak to get a good sound. i just plug-n-play now.

5. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I know how to get one great sound out of that amp. You can get this really satisfying splintering/crashing sort of distortion if you use a real axe (sledge-hammer would be pretty cool too). Sorry, couldn't resist. To be serious, I think that particular series has been disappointing for a lot of people. I don't know too many gear pagers that have stayed with it. A tube buffer in front might help a bit. Hopefully you can sell at a profit!

6. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

7. DavidE

DavidE Member

These days I'm gigging with my HK Switchblades (50 combo or 100 watt head). I also have a Bogner Shiva, two Naylors, Fenders, Marshalls, Vox AC15 (w/ blue), Mesa Mav, Mesa DC3 etc....

I used the L6 modulation and delay modeling pedals for years and they worked great. With the HK, I only add a wah, tuner, Timmy and POG. I figured I should at least try to play around with the FlexIII for even more flexibility and ease of setup.

Oh, I did hook the amp up to my computer and downloaded a ton of patches. Most sounded like ass. Why do people post those things???? I also tried tweaking through the computer. Maybe there are just too many parameters and it's easy to make it sound bad.

8. Marshall Man

Marshall Man Member

I had gotten a good deal on the HDII head and pedal board so I bought it. I played around with that piece of **** for weeks trying to get a good sound before I got rid of it. I guess those things are good for people who like to endlessly tweak their amps; I just want to play:)

9. screamtone

screamtone Supporting Member

I'm not sure what kind of music you play, but I had pretty good luck getting some blues/rock medium+ gain sounds out of one. The secret for me was using a closed back 1X12 extension cab along with the stock speaker. That made all the difference in the world. It won't really give it up by it self. Try the blackface setting with a TS9ish pedal and an extra cab and it will be good enough for a whole lotta gigs. Just don't get it wet, whatever you do.

10. DavidE

DavidE Member

It's already a 2x12 stereo combo, so I don't want to add another cab to the mix or even a pedal. If I have to bring another pedal, I might as well keep using what I'm using.

11. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

My line six sounds alright for small practices, writing or general noodling at low, low volumes. I tried gigging it ONCE, in front of me, mic'd up. I had four patches set up for the gig, I fought with the settings all night. Just too harsh and brash -even after trying to maintain a 'low' volume to preserve tone.

The closed back cab is something I haven't tried yet. I wonder if I could just add a panel to the back of the combo?

My only suggestion is try to keep the volume low and maybe run it through your monitor for stage volume.

12. screamtone

screamtone Supporting Member

My bad, I was thinking of a Flextone II.

13. Roodboy

Roodboy Supporting Member

I had one of those, its very tweaky and a tad woofy. I would search around the web and the line 6 website for downlaodable tone banks. I found some good patches out there. IIRC Rob Tognoni had some nice ones. I could email you abunch of patches too if you want.
    A COT50 in front sounded good too.

14. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

For all and any highly tweakable amps, dial it in right beside a proven stage amp as loud as you play. If you are a pedal guy, just plug in your pedals.

Of course, if you have a perfectly good stage amp why are you buying another and then trying to clone it? I am grappling with this question, repeatedly, myself.:bkw

15. TYY

TYY Member

I can only think of one thing that would make a line6 sound better:

[​IMG]

16. midnightlaundry

midnightlaundry Member

Put a chain on it, and use it as a boat anchor. It should make a nice splash that way.

Buy a tube amp. Nothing wrong with a Peavey.

17. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

Don't do the free chip upgrade...
    didn't help me at all.