tired of music gear, sold most for motorcycle

Brooks

last year i sold a bunch of my gear for a bike (honda rebel 250). i recently sold more to upgrade the bike; now i'm down to
2 hamer usa guitars, one import steinberger (to keep in the car), NO acoustics, NO tube amps, 2 cabs, 2 powerblocks, a vox tonelab, a bad monkey, and a small PA (for my weekly acoustic gigs).

but it was worth it; i have just what i need, and yesterday i rode this home;

the only reason i have 2 powerblocks and 2 cabs is so i can leave a rig where we rehearse my rush tribute project, thus letting me ride the bike to rehearsal!
compared to many TGPer's, i never had much gear (or very expensive gear), but i did sell several nice hamers and my axe-fx rig. and my cd collection (all ipod now).

anyone else douche their stable for another passion?

ps- i will probably buy another tube amp when i sell the honda....

Last edited:

Plague Dog

and you're proud of that?

every time I start thinking I spend too much on gear I think to myself, "at least I ain't no frikken biker"...

BluesBUSTER

Very nice Brooksy, I haven't had a bike in a few years and really miss it. Maybe I should sell some of my Hamers and trade for a bike.

No, I haven't done that but only because I got into motorcycles first. As much as I love to play music,riding is a more "real" experience to me. While playing guitar is very engaging, riding a motorcycle absolutely overwhelms the senses. I think the best solution, which you've already found out, is to do both! It's funny how cliched how the two go together? That is, a long time ago if you rode motorcycles or played guitar a girl's mother wouldn't approve of you! Now it's amazing how exciting life can be with both.

Also, nice Sportster. I don't ride Harley's but if I did I'd ride a sportster. It's the Telecaster of motorcycles. Simple, crude even, but there's just something about them that everyone loves. BTW, Love the solo seat!

Jmartin

Nice Sporty! I've had several over the years. I would hate to have to choose between bikes and guitar.

Brooks

i've never been able to get interested in anything besides music.
i've dabbled in scuba, weightlifting, drawing, racquetteball, homebrewing, jogging, i even had a dirtbike for awhile after college (honda xl250), but they all wore off pretty quick.

this is different. i put 1000 miles on my honda rebel from when i bought it last july to november (and i'm gone several weekdays w/ my dayjob, so that's mostly weekends). i also wasn't inclined to get a bike at first, as i kinda view the whole biker/harley culture as.... kinda poser-istic. dentists and businessmen trying to look tough, etc. but, as cliche as it sounds, the feeling of flying down the road w/ the wind in your face is... freedom. it's awesome, i love it. and, i love being excited about something besides guitars & gigs for a change.

JackButler

Silver Supporting Member
Nice bike!
I go through the phases, sold off some cool stuff to fund a ROad King several years ago, now that's gone.
Last one was selling a killer LP to fund a hot rodded golf cart last year!
I usually try to stick with gear for gear type fundings, but you know...

trickness

Analog with a side of DSP
funny, I sold my motorcycles to fund guitars.

i had a 2008 Triumph Tiger, hocked it and got guitars I really loved. sold some of those a year later, and now I have 3 great guitars and an HD Street Glide.

Best of both worlds - ride (and play) safe!

SteveO

I juggle my spare time/$ between gear and my car. Summertime it's the car, winter it's the guitar. Right now I'm waiting on a set of caliper pistons so I can get started on a complete suspension/brake upgrade.

Broken Cord

I sold my HD FLHTC to fund most of my gear. My brother-in-law was killed on his bike some years back and the wife was a wreck every time I rode, but she doesn't have a leg to stand on now if it comes down to me buying more gear. If she gets on me I just say I'll sell it off and buy another bike: End of discussion.

mprvise

I started doing both at age 13 and never stopped either. Sometimes (like now) the guitar playing takes priority, but from about 2001 to 2005 I took a break from gigging and was doing over 30,000 miles a year on three bikes (including dirt). Both guitar playing and riding are expensive passions, but so worth it to me.

Other than a few year in college (when I didn't have a bike) I've never had to make a one or the other type choice based on finances, and simply cannot imagine having crap gear or no bike for any length of time at this point.

Congrats on the new ride! :beer

Brooks

Both guitar playing and riding are expensive passions, but so worth it to me.
personally, i make thousands more $$ a year playing acoustic gigs & teaching guitar than i spend on gear, so i don't see music as an expensive hobby, i see it as a 2nd job (that i'm passionate about).

I've never had to make a one or the other type choice based on finances, and simply cannot imagine having crap gear or no bike for any length of time at this point
hmmm. i didn't have to choose one or the other, i chose to scale one back. i could have kept all my gear and financed a bike, but personally i don't buy toys on credit, i pay cash. plus, i just don't need 4 electric guitars 2 acoustics and 4 amps (my guess is that you don't, either).

i'm sure to many TGPer's i might have "crap gear", but my current 2 usa hamers are the best playing & sounding guitars i've owned. i've owned a few pricey amps (carr rambler, axe-fx), but overall my stuff has always been used pro level gear (fender, marshall, mesa, h&k, etc). i did compare my axe-fx and vox tonelab st thru the same SS amp & cab, and actually preferred the marshall-ish crunch and fender-ish cleans of the tonelab (more expensive is not always better, i use my ears to decide). the powerblock is not a good amp by itself, but i bypass the preamp and use just the power sections, which works great w/ the tonelab for my rush tribute project (that said, i will probably buy another tube amp if i start playing jazz/funk gigs again).

HHB

LOL he's doesnt HAVE to choose, he lives on a great spread and does very well ( he's a good friend in real life ) he's just cheap and pragmatic, he wasted so much cash on stuff ( that mama bear thing still makes me laugh ) that dint live up to the hype and that you really just dont need to make killer music, I'm to blame , I always rag on stuff he buys!

bobcs71

I've wasted too much $$$ on both motorcycles and guitars.

Congrats on the nice Sporty! I have a BMWR1100R I ride.

Timmo

Silver Supporting Member
I get the bike thing.
It's nice to getaway from music.
I borrow a bike now and then. That's the way to go.
:aok

ALL MUSIC/GEAR ALL the time makes for some pretty wacky threads on

TGP as an example of NOT 'getting out enough".

:roll

Brooks

LOL he's doesnt HAVE to choose, he lives on a great spread and does very well ( he's a good friend in real life ) he's just cheap and pragmatic, he wasted so much cash on stuff ( that mama bear thing still makes me laugh ) that dint live up to the hype and that you really just dont need to make killer music, I'm to blame , I always rag on stuff he buys!

thanx bill... i think(?) , ha.

Trending Topics