Tired of paying alot for your boutiques? Check this out.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Thorr, Jul 7, 2006.

1. Thorr

Thorr Member

This guy is really good and everyone should take a good look at him. His name is Rogier Kerkhof and he can make about anything.

http://technophobia.co.nr/

Fuzz
    • Homewrecker Bazz Fuss; a great, synth like bass fuzz;
    • Every BMP model you can name (opamp / transistor);
    • A great deal of Fuzz Faces;
    • 3ms Fuzz Jade;
    • Ampeg Scrambler;
    • Colorsound One knob fuzz;
    • Colorsound Sola Fuzz;
    • Colorsound Tonebender MKII;
    • Digital Fuzz;
    • EHX Foxy Lady;
    • EHX Muff Fuzz;
    • Gretsch ControFuzz;
    • Jen Fuzz;
    • John Hollis Crash Fuzz;
    • Jordan Bosstone;
    • MXR Blue box;
    • Parrallel Universe;
    • Sam Ash Fuzz;
    • Shin-Ei FY-1 (Superfuzz);
    • Shin-ei FY-2
    • Square Wave Fuzz;
    • Roland Bee-Baa;
    • Univox Square Wave Fuzz;
    • Tychobrahe Octavia;
    • Uglyfuzz;
    • Acetone FM-2;
    • Acetone FM-1;
    • Fender Blender;
    • Ibanez Wau Fuzz;
    • Univox Superfuzz;
    • Seymour Duncan Tweak Fuzz;
    • BassBalls;
    • Little Big Muff;
    • Lovetone Big Cheese;
    • Maestro BB-1;
    • Maestro FZ-1;
    • Maestro Superfuzz;
    • Maestro Fuzztain;
    • Roger Mayer Axis Fuzz;
    • Roger Mayer Mongoose Fuzz;
    • Roger Mayer Classic Fuzz;
    • Roger Mayer Octavia;
    • Acoustic 360 Fuzz;
    • Way Huge Swollen Pickle;
    • Maybe more when I think about it........
    Overdrive and Distortion:
    • Ampeg SB-12 preamp;
    • Dr. Boogey (dual rec preamp);
    • JCM 800 preamp;
    • Fender Bassman Preamp;
    • Dyno Rhodes Preamp;
    • Orange 120 preamp;
    • Vox AC30 preamp;
    • Various EHX boosters (LPB-1, 2, Hogs Foot, Screaming Tree;
    • EHX Hot Tubes;
    • Lovetone Brown Source;
    • MXR Distortion +;
    • MXR Microamp;
    • ProCo Rat II (also Turbo Rat, Vintage Rat)
    • Roger Mayer Voodoo 1
    • 3ms Duo Distorter;
    • AMZ Fatboost (also Fulltone)
    • AMZ Mini Booster;
    • AMZ MOSFET booster (also ZVEX SHO, Super Duper);
    • Colorsound Overdriver;
    • Dallas Rangemaster;
    • Keeley JavaBoost;
    • Marshall Guv' Nor;
    • Univox Unidrive;
    • Voodoo Labs Overdrive;
    • Tubescreamers;
    • Way Huge Red Llama
    • And may others...... I don't know of right now
    Else:
    • A / B / etc box / blend box / etc;
    • Alembic F2-B preamp;
    • Various attenuators;
    • Speaker sim pedals;
    • Bartolini NTMB preamp (onboard);
    • Albert Kreuzer onboard preamp;
    • Buffers, various;
    • Colorsound Supasustain;
    • Craig Anderton Compressor;
    • Ebow;
    • EHX Micro Synth;
    • EHX Dr. Q (Dr. Quacky, Nurse Quacky);
    • Craig Anderton Super Tone;
    • MXR envelope Filter;
    • Feedbacker;
    • Lovetone Meatball;
    • MXR Dynacomp;
    • Ross Compressor;
    • Way Huge Saffron Squeeze;
    • Retro Stereo;
    • Dunlop ZW-44;
    • LoFi pedal;
    • Talkbox;
    • Mu-Tron Bi Phase;
    • Re-Amp box;
    • Roland FunnyCat;
    • Smokey amps;
    • 3ms Tremulus Lune;
    • 3ms Tremulus Panneur;
    • 3ms Phaseur Fluer;
    • Schaller Tremolo;
    • Various Wah pedals;
    • And still more I am forgetting right now;
    Mods:
    Too many to list

2. jbro

jbro Member

So this guy makes a living copying other people's designs and underselling them..? Count me out.

It's one thing to clone a vintage/discontinued effect/amp, but these are mostly current production models he's ripping off and then stealing business from the designers. Something tells me he won't be around long after some of these manufactures start finding out about it.

Just my $.02, I know you buy what you can afford..

3. notagain123

notagain123 Member

But then again many current makers of pedals are ripping off or "improving" many other classic circuits that are also still in circulation.

Especially the boutique industry.

My 30 cents

4. Thorr

Thorr Member

whoah there dude, you realize there are about 150,000 people out there that do this??? why do you think there are a million sites listing schematics? what do you think BYOC (build your own clone) is doing? selling you materials to clone a pedal yourself?!? Rogier is just nice and talented enough to do it himself for people who arent that great at it.

5. Layne-o

Layne-o Silver Supporting Member

In the wonderful world of retailers, counterfeiters don't last long. Having said, there's only so many ways to create effects pedals.

6. Thorr

Thorr Member

great comment notagain123 . . . how many pedals out there are slight variations of the Tubescreamer ? to damn many.

7. jbro

jbro Member

Just because other people are doing this does not make it cool to the manufactures of these pedals that are still in production, or legal for that matter. It's a poor business ethnic to make your living undercutting the designers of a product, that's all.

8. Thorr

Thorr Member

ok i'm not trying to create a controvertial subject here. I thought some people that couldnt afford every $800 boutique that rolls off the line. And it is sad to think that many companies jack up prices because they are "boutique" that doesnt change the amount of work it takes to build one or the price of the components. The prices are at around 200-400% of cost.

9. Thorr

Thorr Member

you realize 90% of pedals are exact or slighltly variated models of a more expensive unit? they are just rehoused and distributed under a different name.

10. jbro

jbro Member

You're not getting my point.

This guy is not building his own pedals that are loosely based on one of the major classic designs as most boutique pedal designers are doing, he is blatantly "cloning" other peoples' designs, and underselling them while the originals are still in production. This is slimy business.

As for the cost of boutique pedals.. Most of the final price goes to the dealer - dealer cost is generally 50% of list price (this is different with some companies). Most of the company's profit goes right into advertising. Then they still have to pay the employees who assemble and test their pedals, sales representivies, customer service, shop space, tooling, etc. How much, per pedal, do you think the designed of these things actually makes? Yes John Doe can build a clone and sell it cheaper than Fulltone all said and done - but he is stealing their design and their money! I don't know how I can put it any more straightforward.

If you designed a new car, patented your design, invested all of your life savings into putting it into production.. and then shortly after you discovered an overseas company was making exact copies of the car you designed and selling them cheaper than you, how would you feel about it? Would you seek legal action to protect your investment, your design, and your livelyhood... or would you just say "all cars have 4 wheels and an engine, and they all are based on one design, so it's ok that they are doing this, let them steal a good portion of my business"?

11. Thorr

Thorr Member

ummm didnt about 10,000 japanese companies do that to Gibson ? ohh and PRS too . . . It happends all the time! how many guitars look like strats? Alot! how many pedals are the exact same in different housing? Alot! How many companies overcharge for there products? Alot!

12. jbro

jbro Member

Yes, and what happened? They got sued! There's a reason they were called "lawsuit models".

I'm done with this topic - no hard feelings, we just clearly disagree on this one. I am an instrument designer/builder by trade, and I know how I would feel if this was done to me. That's all.

13. Thorr

Thorr Member

thats cool but could you refresh my mind on who won all of those cases?

14. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

For me this is a bit like whether you like listening to people play covers or not.

Personally I have no issue with listening to a "classic" or a "standard" if it's re-interpreted in some way otherwise I'll just listen to the original.

15. notagain123

notagain123 Member

Actually I was basing my comments on his Rat Clone,

http://www.student.ru.nl/r.kerkhof/Taas/Custom/Rat.htm

It looks like it has more than 3 knobs than the original ProCo Rat.

Seems similiar to What keeley is doing.

There is definitely a variation here, therefore I see no harm in selling them.Even so, He's probably selling them cheaper.

Schematics are there for the taking.

16. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

Many will agree with me here, Paul Cochrane has done this with his TIM and Timmy pedals.

17. Thorr

Thorr Member

Let me clarify this. ALL Pedals He Makes will have tweaks that he finds makes the pedals work better. He is like a Robert Keeley, Tone-Jam, Indyguitarist, CMAT - he always finds something that could be made better within any design. But if you want an identical pedal he can do it for you.

18. DaSkip

DaSkip Member

No matter how talented you are, it is the amount of creativity that you demonstrate that sets you apart from the rest.

My $.02

I could be wrong....:rolleyes:

19. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

Now that someone brought it up, it does kind seem a bit unsavory to do the exact pedal clone and to advertise it and make money in a sort of production model.

I think it is less 'unsavory' that he modifies the designs. I feel that it should be up front that he does so . . . in an ethical-universe- and he should be selling those tweaks as the point of interest for the pedals.

Otherwise, I would have no moral qualms if he just made perfect clones and merely sorta sold them to freiends and friends of friends without advertis=ing them as exact clones of existing models.

I know that that sounds like a buncha qualifiers, but there is a good arguement for it seeming a bit 'bad-form' to undercut a small/mid-sized business, even if that business is merely doing variations.

just my 2

20. Thorr

Thorr Member

He doesnt advertise. . . check his site. He just does it for fun. Its a hobby. It isnt by any means his job. Its kind of cool to see a guy that has taken a hobby of taking apart pedals and reconstructing them and modding them and learning from his own mistakes and successes. Its not like he hasnt spent alot of time with the pedals "redesigning" them.