Tired of QSC Touchmix 16.... Looking for options

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by tremonti, Jan 26, 2020.

1. tremonti

tremonti Member

Not crazy about the mic pre's, effects or the layout. 4 piece cover band. What are better options and why? Thanks in advance.

2. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

XR 18 if you're okay with always having to have a pad or laptop connected. I have owned both.

3. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Much prefer the UI-24R to the XR18 (own both). Love the browser-based UI: don't need a 3rd party app for iPhone support and you can use pretty much anything with a browser (e.g., Chromebook) to control the mixer. Ability to record direct to a USB device is mighty sweet as well.

Crowder likes this.
  4. modulusman

modulusman Member

I have 5 mixers, in order from favorite to least.
    1. QSC Touchmix-30. I really like this and have nothing bad to say about it. I just wish I used it more often. Really like not having to use a tablet/computer if I don't want to.
    2. Soundcraft UI-24. This mixer sounds great and is fairly easy to use. The effects, and EQ sound really good to me, better than the XR-18.
    3.QSC Touchmix-16. I use this mixer more than any I own. Compact and sounds good. Biggest gripe is the trim pots move too easy. I have to inspect them every time I use the mixer to make sure they haven't moved. This is the board my band uses the most, about 40 times a year. I would like to use the soundcraft but that means everyone of my band members would have to learn to use it. Probably not going to happen.
    4. Behringer xr-18. For the money it is a good mixer. I have only used it in a band setting a few times but it did the job. EQ is OK and the effects are not as good as the Soundcraft or touchmix IMO. If you are on a budget you get a lot of bang for your buck.
    5. Presonus studiolive 16.0.2. I have owned this mixer the longest of the five I now own. I like that it has physical faders and it sounds pretty good. Until a few years ago I use it a lot. Now it is a back up mixer in case a touchmix goes down on a gig.

5. SinglecutGuy

SinglecutGuy Supporting Member

I’d suggest Yamaha TF-Rack. Worth every penny. I own two of them, and they are by far the most intuitive, best sounding, and most reliable of any smaller format digital mixer on the market. If that’s beyond your budget, look at the Soundcraft UI. Those are impressive for their price.

The pre’s on the Behringer XR are garbage. The EQ on them is worthless. I’m sorry, but they’re cheap for a reason. Those mixers sound terrible!

PM me if you want any further help or recommendation. I have experience with all of them, and others!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2020
    Hefalump and Crowder like this.
  6. sants

sants Supporting Member

Any of these budget mixers will get you decent sound despite what people say.

It’s such a mixed bag of responses and in many cases the one everyone owns will always be the best because it’s what they have the most experience with. In my experiences the one that people say suck actually are half decent and the ones they rave about I’m not big on.

I’ve mixed on nearly every budget mixer there is as well as some pro level consoles.

Despite the hate, the xr is a decent unit but would be a slight downgrade from what you have imo. I’d be looking at the Midas m32r or x32 rack and if you want the slight improvement add Midas DL stage box.

I run a small production company (110 gigs last year) and if it means anything my market is saturated with x32/m32 and for good reason.

I own the following
    Soundcraft
    -Si Impact
    -Ui24r

Beheringer/Midas
    - x32 rack x 2
    - x32 compact
    - M32r
    - M32
    - DL32 x 2

Presonus

I was a late convert to the x32/m32 platform and I wish I would have gone there sooner. In terms of support and add ons it is very tough to beat. You will have haters say negatives but it is a solid and very good sounding platform. The latest updates are nice and open more features. The Midas versions do sound slightly better but hard to tell in a live mix.

The newer presonus boards are nice too.

It all comes down to budget and if you want physical faders vs tablet mixing.

You can find find x32 compact for around $1500 and m32r for around $1800 if you shop around. X32 rack around $1000.

I would put my money there but that is me. You should be able to get good sound from any of the options discussed here.

If you want the next step up an Allen Heath sq5 can be had for around $2,300. I know a lot of guys that use them and many still prefer using the x32. Take that as you will. People like different things.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
    riffmeister likes this.
  7. RobJ

RobJ Gold Supporting Member

I’ve owned or tried the vast majority of the units listed so far. The two I still own are the UI24R and the Allen & Heath QU-SB. I had a Qu-PAC first. For me the UI24r has the best, most user friendly software. It can be run by any browser. The QU series mic pres sounded the best to my ears. Each person’s mileage will vary.

8. edward

edward Supporting Member

What about the Ui16? (I'm asking for myself, as well!). Isn't that a more cost-effective approach vs the Ui24? ….esp if one doesn't need 24chs? Is/are the Ui a marked upgrade over the XR18?

Edward

9. RobJ

RobJ Gold Supporting Member

Edward, when the UI16 and UI12 first came out, it was a Soundcraft in name only. They were made and designed by another company and rebranded as Soundcraft. As I remember they had several issues. I believe the WiFi issues were particularly bad. There also many reports of noisy preamps. I have no idea if all these issues have been addressed or not. The UI24 was the first UI product that was pretty much all Soundcraft.

sants likes this.
  10. sants

sants Supporting Member

This is correct. A friend has both. While the GUI looks the same that is about all there is common.

if looking at the ui16 I would steer you toward the xr18.

Elantric likes this.
  11. edward

edward Supporting Member

Oooh yikes ...that’s seriously good to know, thanks gents!!!

I’m still gigging with analog boards...it’s what the budget dictates. But as I always scour the board for used deals, i can not afford to make costly mistakes. Big thanks here!!

Edward

12. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

I’m a presonus fanboy for lack of a better term. Started with a legacy (original) 24.4.2 then picked up a 16.0.2 for backup. Never had any issues. Ended up getting an RM32AI rackmount with a CS18AI controller to have moving faders etc.

Really handy when playing in a band. Easier to make a monitor adjustment with the board than trying to do so with an iPad. Don’t get me wrong I still mix via iPad with it on most sound gigs.

The ability to multitrack the gig is nice as well...

A couple years ago I upgraded again to the Series III 16 mixer. A smaller setup than the rackmount AND controller. Love it, it works really well. I have it mounted in a case.

[​IMG]

13. suparsonic

suparsonic Member

What’s not to love about the QSC? I doubt you’ll find anything better or less complex with so much power. Once you learn the layout it will be fine. The beauty with digital mixers is that you can save previous settings, so sooner or later you will just flick it on and adjust the volume.

14. riffmeister

riffmeister Member

I’m using an XR12 for my acoustic duo (two vocals, two acoustic guitars with piezo pickups) for live music. Sounds ok to me. What am I missing? (Seriously, I have an open mind about this)

15. SinglecutGuy

SinglecutGuy Supporting Member

An acoustic duo is much more forgiving than a full(er) band, so you may not notice it as much as I have in my experience with the XR mixers in a 4-6 piece band.

I've sold numerous XR mixers, and part of my "customer service", if you will, is that I go to the bands' rehearsal space, or to their gig, to help get the mixer set up with a scene, input lables, and do some EQ's, etc. What I have found time and time again, is that the EQ control is extremely limited in its' tonal result, following adjustments, compared to other (higher priced) mixers. For example, when you have a very clear sounding preamp, and good EQ control, extremely minor adjustments will have a major effect in the tonality change of the result.

Say I'm trying to clear up a low mid frequency and remove some boomy resonance on a vocal channel, and I'm sweeping through with the Low Mid control. Where I have to make a -12db cut on the XR, I can make a -5db cut on my Yamaha TF mixer, and get the same result, and still sounds significantly better after the fact. This stems from the clarity and quality of the preamp, and the relative control on the EQ. You have to make large boosts/cuts, to get close to the same result with minor adjustments on other mixers, and often times it still doesn't do enough, or sound as good.

I would compare it anything else in this realm of hobby where some people can hear the difference between two things, and others can't. Some people can't hear the difference between a solid state amp and a tube amp, or a cheaper laminate acoustic and an all-solid wood higher end acoustic. That example goes on and on. If you're happy with your XR, that's a good thing! You may not hear what I hear, or what other's hear, and other's may not hear what I hear. Ignorance is bliss, as they say. But respectfully, I do this for a living, and I can hear a major difference in the overall achievable sound quality that an XR will give you, versus something else.

I'm always frustrated when I'm mixing on an XR because I can hear the difference in the preamps, and I always feel like I have one hand tied behind my back when I'm trying to EQ a mix.

Of course, I might just be crazy...

aleclee likes this.
  16. okie

okie Supporting Member

Allen and Heath QU-SB user here, has been rock solid and never let me down in over 3 years of use. Mic pres sound great and I also use it to live track 16 channels to a hard disk with fantastic results. Will need Ipad and wireless router to run it.

17. riffmeister

riffmeister Member

Thank you! I think I have pretty good ears but I understand what you are saying about the EQ on the XR. I have no experience with other digital mixers but I’m always somewhat surprised how deep I have to make cuts in the EQ to get the results I want. Fits perfectly with what you’ve said. But yes, I am happy so far with my duo’s sound using the XR mixer. As far as effects go, I just use some slapback delay on the vocals, and chorus on the second acoustic guitar, and I’ve been happy with the results.

18. edward

edward Supporting Member

Thanks for your feedback, Singlecut!

FWIW, I rely on not only "reviews," but more heavily on folk's detailed feedback. I read it all, take it in in sum, then make decisions. And frankly, I have heard nearly ubiquitous praise for the XR18, but likewise continual kudos for the Touchmix 8/16. Which is why the original post's opinion that the QSC TM is somehow "lacking" confounds me a bit (no disrespect at all ...I'm just a bit confounded by the sentiment). Thank you for your perspective! I struggle with the budgetary hit that the TM will take on me when I get there, but somehow the "package" it offers overall "seems" to be more attractive to me than the XR18 ...again, despite all the praise it seems to get. Your assessment of what you hear interests me, and for whatever reason, your account registers in my head :)

Sidenote, the TM series has been out for some time ...I wonder if it's due for a refresh from QSC...

Edward

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  19. dougb415

dougb415 Silver Supporting Member

The TM30 came out Oct ‘18, so I’m guessing if anything there might be another big FW update. Still loving my TM16, but would love some real faders, or even 1-2 faders that could be swapped to different channels for making adjustments. I mix from stage so I don’t want something big and bulky tho.

20. tremonti

tremonti Member

I would like a FW update that allows the TM16 to allow you to group things as you want. Condense all drums to 1 fader and move around order of virtual faders like the XR series