Tired of run of the mill overdrives.....

MullisMan

Can anybody suggest some overdrive boxes that are maybe a little exotic that I might not have heard of? And maybe even some that are more well known that anybody has found to have a great range of tone. I have my share of overdrives/distortions and a fuzz on my board, but I just need some more information as to where to take my quest for tone next. As of right now, i'm using a TS-808 reissue that's modded, and a Fulldrive 2, the older version, not the new mosfet. I've heard good things from Love pedals, and Xotic and the like, but I just feel like there's so much more out there that I don't know about. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Twin63

I don't have near the experience with OD's as most around here, but I've settled on the following:

Addrock Not So Ol' Yeller - Dual OD. I'm using mine for low gain (barely breaking up) on CH A and low/med gain on CH B. Seems to be very dynamic and has a wide range of gain available between the 2 channels. It's also surprisingly small so it doesn't take up much space on the board.

Lovekraft Mojo Drive - Very versatile OD with a 3 position toggle (TS setting, more open Marshall-like crunch setting, and boost). Great, amp-like tones in this pedal plus it stacks very well with my Keeley Rat.

Not much OD territory that I can't cover with these 2 pedals.

Phil M

Silver Supporting Member
The Gaspedals Carb, TC Jauernig DGTM/Gristle King and the Lovepedals really seperate themselves from the pack, IMO. The Lovepedal Eternity, COT50 and Purple Plexi all sound amazing at what they do.

Honestly, there are tons of great choices besides these.

Skreddy Screwdriver. It's not talked about as much as the Eternity or the Zendrive, but it's a quality botique pedal and extremely versatile.

carljoensson

Exotic?

It seems to me popular OD's are often described as transparent, natural, rich, full, thick, grainy etc. If you want something more "exotic", maybe a wah half-way down, or some other filter could come in handy. Or some octavepedal etc. In general I suppose fuzzes are more exotic than ODs.

/C

jb1911

Tim
Timmy
Hermida Zendrive
Jetter GSR
Catalinbread Silver Kiss
Subdecay Liquid Sunshine
Menatone Red Snapper
Analogman KOT
Lovepedal Eternity
Lovepedal Cot50
MI Audio Blue Boy Deluxe
MJM Blues Devil
Boss OD3
Analogman TS9 Silver
Gaspedals Carb
Klon
Skreddy Screwdriver
Barber Direct Drive
Proco Rat
Lovepedal BBB07
Keeley TS9

That's about 1% of what's out there. Good luck.

pacomc79

Can anybody suggest some overdrive boxes that are maybe a little exotic that I might not have heard of? And maybe even some that are more well known that anybody has found to have a great range of tone. I have my share of overdrives/distortions and a fuzz on my board, but I just need some more information as to where to take my quest for tone next. As of right now, i'm using a TS-808 reissue that's modded, and a Fulldrive 2, the older version, not the new mosfet. I've heard good things from Love pedals, and Xotic and the like, but I just feel like there's so much more out there that I don't know about. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Emerald Green Distortion Machine...

Greedtone Overdrive.

TimH

Silver Supporting Member
Tim
Timmy
Hermida Zendrive
Jetter GSR
Catalinbread Silver Kiss
Subdecay Liquid Sunshine
Menatone Red Snapper
Analogman KOT
Lovepedal Eternity
Lovepedal Cot50
MI Audio Blue Boy Deluxe
MJM Blues Devil
Boss OD3
Analogman TS9 Silver
Gaspedals Carb
Klon
Skreddy Screwdriver
Barber Direct Drive
Proco Rat
Lovepedal BBB07
Keeley TS9

That's about 1% of what's out there. Good luck.
I just have to say the, IMHO, half that list is "run of the mill" tubescreamer rip offs...

teXum

As most others here, I've been through a lot of ODs, to find the ones that I really think offer something special. Currently I have the KoT and Bjf HB on my board, both great, low to mid gain ODs. I also have two clean boosts on my board, and these four used in different combinations give me a lot of options and different "colours".

THEN I got the ZVex Box of Rock, which is more of a distortion pedal, designed to sound like a Marshall JTm45, BUT it ALSO does a GREAT low to mid gain overdrive, incredibly touch sensitive, with a more open sound than many ODs, and this box have quickly become my main dirt box, I tend to use it on everything, and control everything from my guitar.

For a different flavor (exotic) to your OD collection, try out the BoR!

bwc3000

I like the Vintage FX Colordrive. It's based on the the old Coloursound overdrive, very unique sounding and not at all like a Tubescreamer or Boss overdrive if you're looking for something a little different. I love the treble and bass tone controls on it. You can get an almost compressor-like twang at low gain settings and, with more drive dialed in, you can get a nice Link Wray-like crunch. Dave at Vintage FX makes very nice, well-built, quality stuff at good prices.
+1 on the Liquid Sunshine, too. Sweet-sounding pedal. I also still love my old stock Boss Blues Driver...definitely not exotic, I know, but I like it! :)

mcuguitar

Gold Supporting Member
Kingsley amplifier's new Jester pedal. Should be AMAZING! Get on the list now.

I've had many, but my search ended with the TM-01 Zoom Tri-Metal. Ultra Chunk, Ultra Adjustable and Ultra QUIET..... A sleeper of a pedal for sure if you can find one...

jb1984

RAMM DRIVE II. I got one and it sounds consistently great by it self or stacked with a FDII behind it.

MullisMan

Exotic?

It seems to me popular OD's are often described as transparent, natural, rich, full, thick, grainy etc. If you want something more "exotic", maybe a wah half-way down, or some other filter could come in handy. Or some octavepedal etc. In general I suppose fuzzes are more exotic than ODs.

/C
Right, I guess I used the wrong wording there, I have plenty of exotic sounds at my command with the Zvex and my wah, I just meant some effects pedals that I might not have heard of. Like the Skreddy. My only problem is I don't have a boutique pedal dealer anywhere near me so I can try out the pedals before I buy them, so it's all hit and miss, and the money these things cost, it's a couple months in between trials.

Trending Topics