Tired of trying amps. Help me pick one that'll stay around for awhile

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by demea, Feb 26, 2012.

1. demea

demea Member

Been in coverbands for the majority of my music career. Had so many amps and cabs over the past ten years that I cant even recall them all, but they would include...

Marshall
    JCM900 50w 2x12
    JCM900 50w HGDR w/1960a
    JCM900 100w HGDR w/1960a
    JCM2000 DSL100 w/1960a
    JCM2000 DSL40 combo
    JCM2000 TSL 60w combo

Mesa
    Rectoverb w/1960a and 2x12 recto cab
    Dual Rectifier w/1960a and 2x12 recto cab (current)
    Express 5:50 2x12
    50 Caliber w/1960a

Peavey
    6505+ combo
    Windsor head w/1960a

Jet City JCA50H w/1960a

Bogner Alchemist w/1960a

Egnater Rebel 20 w/Avatar 2x12 v30's

B52 AT-100 w/1960a (current)

Carvin V3 combo

Ugh, I've had alot of gear. I just want a great live amp preferable a head/2x12 cab that has great cleans, great crunch (Black Crowes, Foo Fighers) and crushing distortion (Linkin Park, Rise Against) when needed without pedals.
    I'm just disappointed lately in what I'm hearing or maybe I'm not spending enough time with the amps I'm buying and flipping them too soon.

Believe it or not, out of all those amps I've been playing my B52 head with my Marshall cab and a couple effects through the loop and love it. Its really a great sounding amp if you haven't heard one and for 269 used at Guitar Center I NEVER would have thought I'd wind up with a B52 amp. I'm def no cork sniffer and have the attitude that 'tone wins' not the name on the amp.
    The reason I'm looking for another amp is that I've had it for a year and well, its a B52 and I use it quite regularly and fear it failing on me. Other than that, I like it so much I'm going to keep it as a backup until it dies and then buy another. (Maybe I've just answered my own question :idea???)

I need a main amp though. Any thoughts? I'd like a 50w three channel.

Thanks

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  2. ripoffriffs

ripoffriffs Supporting Member

I think you had what you wanted with the Express 5:50.

But try the Electra-Dyne. Or the Royal Atlantic-100

3. bobwl

bobwl Member

I think for cover stuff it's kinda hard to go wrong with an Egnater Tourmaster. Lots of flexibility. 4 channels, each channel has a individual 100, 50, or 20 watts switch... or engage the half power switch which gives you the choices of 50/25/10

I agree the AT-100 is a pretty darn good amp as well. Might wanna check out a Carvin V3 Micro as well.

4. Young Angus

Young Angus Member

Just buy something "top shelf"...I'd personally recommend a Soldano SLO. Don't hold back you've obviously tried a bunch of stuff and not been happy. Get a SLO and a nice 212 cab and you'll be laughing :D

In fact if you want, PM me an email address and I'll see if I can dig up some recordings I did with my SLO I used to have.

5. SeanMc

SeanMc Member

With all that experience with all those different amp, I can only surmise 2 options.

a) You're not really sure what you're looking for, but you'll know when you hear it.
    b) You know the sound that you're trying to get, but you haven't be able to find it.

Only you will know the answer. If it's "a", the only person that will be able to help is the one lucky enough to suggest the right amp. I'm an engineer and not a fan of "luck" as an option. If it's "b", I would suggest calling a couple amp builders and see if working on a custom build for you might be able to hit the sound that you're after.

Good luck in whatever you happen to decide.

6. demea

demea Member

You know what, I thought so too. Plenty of volume flexibility with 5w/50w modes, great cleans and decent crunch. If it had more gain on tap I would have kept it. I gigged with it three or four times and it never felt like it had character. Kinda like a piece of toast, you know what I mean...especially when playing leads.

I'm going to head to GC one day for lunch this week and crank up both of those. I've heard good things about them.

7. demea

demea Member

Oops, forgot one. I had a V3 too :)

Funny, I had a Tourmaster combo bought late last year , but the guy @ GC talked me out of it for reliability reasons. Bought the Express instead

8. demea

demea Member

You're probably dead on with this

9. Improbable Joe

Improbable Joe Member

I think you're over-thinking it. If you love the amp you have, then maybe that's the amp you should have.

I think when you get to a certain point, you kind of know what you sound like and what sort of amp gets you there. After awhile you spend your time dialing in every amp to sound like the same sound that's in your head. In that case, there's almost a case to be made for finding and holding onto a great 4x12 cab and either finding a cheap import head or a sort of workhorse used head, and buying 2-3 of them depending on your budget.

If it were me, I'd snatch up every working B52 head I could find and afford. If you like the sound and can afford a couple of spares, it is worth getting off of the "new amp every 6/12/18 months" treadmill and getting into the "one amp that does what I want" comfy chair. You'll be happier, if nothing else.

10. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Look at Fryette - Sig:X.

11. effectsman

effectsman Supporting Member

If you want 3 channels you might like the PWE Event Horizon or a Carol Ann Triptik.

12. guzman

guzman Member

An orange and a tubescreamer.

13. thewalkingboss

thewalkingboss Silver Supporting Member

That's what I think too. I have a 5:25 and it does what you describe.

14. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

The EVH 5153 50 watt or just get the 100 watt. It does a lot very well. And it kicks ass.

15. thewalkingboss

thewalkingboss Silver Supporting Member

But also, why not dial up the tones you need with a nice pedalboard, and use whatever good tube amp you have? I tried to get what I needed from an amp, and I have several, but in the end, the best and easiest way to get what you need is with pedals.

If you still insist on using your amp exclusively to get all your clean-crunch tones, maybe look at a Fuchs TDS

16. demea

demea Member

I should probably mention that I've been listening to alot of the new Foo Fighters record and I know they've changed amps from Boogies to Fenders, Vox and Smear's 6505+

Lot of good suggestions, keep em coming!

17. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member

You want great cleans,,and great crunch,,,,sounds like you need to try-out an Ampeg V4.

18. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

That new Triptik sounds like it might be what you are looking for. I haven't tried that particular model, but Carol Anns are great amps.

19. Uniphasian

Uniphasian Member

For what you describe, SLO

20. Shiny_Beast

Shiny_Beast Member

Are any of those copies of an old 4 holer Marshall? If not, anyone who has owned that many should check out something in that vein. I know it's not 3 channel, but it's a good goto, you can always boost it with some choice pedals, fuzz for Hendrix, ep style booster for hard rock etc...