Tired of tweaking ... thinking of going “old school” pedal board

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by RayRay, Aug 18, 2019.

1. RayRay

RayRay Gold Supporting Member

So right now I’m running the Fractal FX8 in 4CM with my Suhr PT15. It sounds great but I’m doing what I used to do.. chase something unattainable. Play around with settings and tweak and experiment without much actual playing.

So I’m thinking of going old school. A couple pedals... ok maybe 5 or 6. I realize there’s the pedal-chasing mentality, but at least I’m not strapped to a computer doing editing on a UI.

It’s silly when I have pro-grade multi-fx right there. But I’m just not playing as much as before I got the FX8.

2. TimH

TimH Supporting Member

You have to decide if this is a problem or just a season. You have a brand new amp there...will the tweaking die down once you settle in with it...then just wait. It’s ok to have a season of preparing/programming/experimenting.

sixesandsevens, Madsen and RayRay like this.
  3. jlectka

jlectka Supporting Member

I did that very thing with a Helix. Now Im using a couple quality amps with six or 8 great pedals I’ve accumulated and am much happier. I still tweak but physical pedals just make me happier and I do play more.

4. Ps28

Ps28 Member

Go straight in. Real old school.

5. RayRay

Did that when I first got the amp. \m/

I played for 90 minutes on clean channel alone and I rarely do clean stuff. Haha. And another time I played and practiced for like 2.5 hours straight and didn’t look at my phone once. That’s saying something (especially for me!)

CJReaper and Vhailor like this.
  6. RayRay

Really good to know. Yeah there will be some dialing in, etc. but I’m thinking that physically turning knobs will be different than staring at a UI wondering what else I can do from a limitless set of possibilities.

7. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 Member

The FX8 is an awesome piece of gear. I also loved my Axe FX II. Got rid of them both for exactly the same reason. I’ve even gone a step further and built a board on which zero pedals even have menus. I replaced the Timeline and BigSky with an El Cap, a Dig, and a Blue Sky/RV-6; also replaced the Möbius with a Boss Phaser.

As awesome as some modelers (Fractal in particular) are, I realized I really dislike menu diving and tweaking on the computer/apps. I just want to twist a few knobs and play.

Totally dig where you’re coming from.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  8. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Member

Old school? I decided I didn’t want to hassle with menus in 1989

9. RayRay

Yeah brother! That’s funny because I’m looking at the Blue Sky (no big sky for me!) .... I was thinking about the Timeline only because it combined so much. But the El Cap is really what I’d be looking for. So maybe keep it simple.

Love it!!

Brigadier too. Actually maybe Brig and Dig

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    Deadpool_25 likes this.
  10. MESA/BUDDA

MESA/BUDDA Member

I don't care how good the modern modeling is, playing with a computer is not playing the guitar.

11. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Yaaaaaayyyy.

12. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

I love tweaking, but once you start plugging your pedals or whatever to the computer it becomes a real pain to me, so yeah I get exactly what you mean, imho something like a Fractal is worth it if you tour a lot and need to carry it around, less weight, great sound, no need to change sounds in the tour, easy to travel with, everything else I prefer a good pedalboard and a good amp!

chadmo1, Jabby92, Emigre and 3 others like this.
  13. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

Get a guitar and plug it into a board and let that amp do some work too- bingo grip it and rip it.

[​IMG]

funkbuero, geek-mo, Wolfboy1 and 10 others like this.
  14. RayRay

Yeah and I’m no touring pro. I play locally and carrying a “traditional” board would be fine.

I think it’s game on.

chadmo1 and hippieboy like this.
  15. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

Let us know what you think when you make the change!

RayRay likes this.
  16. Kevy_Metal

Kevy_Metal Member

Whatever tools that work for you at the time are the right tools, whether it’s a Fractal or a couple of pedals on a plank of wood. It’s what you want to get out of them that matters.

CJReaper and RayRay like this.
  17. Castlebreath

Castlebreath Member

Small but mighty quality amp——
    Couple good pedals——
    Great guitar—-

Formula hasn’t changed since the dawn of rock.
    It sure as hell hasn’t been bested.

Wolfboy1, jturner, Perry D. and 4 others like this.
  18. Tootone

Tootone Member

The good thing about pedals is they have a finite (limited) scope. You work within that scope, and settle on a "good enough" sound in that scope.

With a modeller, (infinite scope) your search for correctness never reaches an "edge". If you don't find exactness in a particular model, your mind convinces you that just a few more small changes will reward you with the prize. There are always more changes that can be made - pedal/chain order, deep edit parameters, the model, interaction with other modelled pedals etc.

With a Tubescreamer you have more or less dirt, more or less volume and more or less brightness.

With a modelled "Tubescreamer A", you have input gain, drive, level, bass, low mids, high mids, treble, mid contour, clipping, bias, impedance...

And if this is not working, you can try it all again with Tubescreamer B.

Maybe change the Amp type, or mic, mic placement, speaker cab, try pre and post EQs, compression... etc etc etc.

And when you take off the headphones and unleash it through a speaker... it has changed again.

With a real Tubescreamer, you set the controls, play, listen, adjust and tell yourself that's good enough because:-

a) You're not going out to buy another overdrive.
    b) You can't be bothered ripping your pedal board apart to try different positions.
    c) If need be, you can always reach down and tweak on the fly at the gig.

Modellers are like the Mythological "Sirens"... hard to resist, impossible to escape.

19. soma

soma Member

And yet none of that tweaking really makes it any better than a simple $50 3-knob tubescreamer mini.

Pretty rare in the history of art that infinite options(as opposed to limitations) has led to greater works.

Taken me a long long time to come round to that way of thinking.

I've got 2 Source Audio pedals and spent ages dialling a couple of sounds - all so I can set it and forget it and never have to do it again

theRagman and RayRay like this.
  20. effectsman

effectsman Member

If you are a player that doesn’t use a lot of different sounds or tones and just want a bit of verb and delay, then you can be really happy.

Only caveat to be aware of, is once your are used to a multi-fix of any kind and the presets and ability to run several effects at once, that’s difficult if not impossible to replace by separate pedals.

It can be done with having lots of pedals, say chorus, flange, delay, reverb, rotary speaker, etc, a pedal switcher, and lots of cables.

So if you like Gilmour sounds like me, and want to re-create his whole effects chain, then it becomes quite complicated.

RayRay likes this.