TJ / Full Music - 12AX7 Tubes - TGP Ignores Them?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by The Dirty Tube, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

The TJ Full tubes are no longer in production (and that is why you don't see them in tube dealers' Web sites). TheTubeStore advertises the Northern Electric tubes, and I provided a link in my previous post (#68). I did not intend to post a link in post #79, which explains why you cannot see one. I'm sorry - I can't figure out what you're talking about.

- Thom

2. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Thats OK I can. So unobtanium. I've never seen them for sale ever at any of the standard huants. So these existed, no one knew about them, and then they didnt exist. The Northerns have smooth plates I thought these were ribbed. Sorry this subject seems to be elussive.

3. The Dirty Tube

The Dirty Tube Member

The subject is not elusive, you simply insist on maintaining a willful ignorance about it.

Full Music 12AX7 tubes DO exist, and are indeed obtainable, and I count about 20 retail listings on eBay for new stock Full Music 12AX7 tubes, even if they are no longer in production.

There are also retailers in Asia that sell Full Musics, and will ship to the U.S.

I don't know how NE has been associated with Tianjin Full Music. The Northern Electrics do not match the Full Musics in their construction, which is not to say that NE's aren't made on former Full Music equipment.

Here's a 2003 Full Music factory tour-

http://press.diyhifisupply.com/tj-full-music-factory-tour/

And a couple pages from a 2009 Full Music tour-

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/china_2009/tj_full_music/

4. The Dirty Tube

The Dirty Tube Member

^^^I should add that the first page of the 2009 Full Music tour web link includes a photo of a worker handling a 12AX7 / 12AU7 assembly. The photo provides (even more!) proof-positive of the unique Full Music tube structure.

5. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Im assuming those Northerns are rebraded too

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  6. The Dirty Tube

The Dirty Tube Member

Just like your RCH experience, any Northern Electric progeny is a topic for a new thread.

7. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

8. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Enjoy those toobs TDT. Heh. WAY more energy than necessary for me to find fulfilling tubes for my musical life. I will swap speakers for tonal shift before tubes for live and recording purposes.

9. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Silver Supporting Member

Never heard of them until this thread.
    $50 bucks for a Chinese 12ax7?!?
    Audiophile tubes do not necessarily make great guitar amps tubes.

Sparky6string likes this.
  10. The Dirty Tube

The Dirty Tube Member

Point-and-Click shopping takes very little energy.

Guitarists will always love trying new tubes in their amps. Since most tube manufacturers have been discussed to death on TGP, I figured I'd offer up something less common.

Looks like mid-$60's per pair is the going rate for Full Musics.

I don't think ~$35 for a boutique-style tube is horrible, when you consider what people shell out for boutique amplifiers. Same logic, I say.

11. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

So this is a bona-fide boteek tube? All I see for evidence is some old guy holding up some binders with a younger lady at his side. Kinda like seeing a bunch of people wearing lab coats lined up behind a speaker. I have not seen any empirical evidence that these are not a run from one of the manufacturers.

Red Planet likes this.
  12. wickedcookie

wickedcookie Member

I liked them better when we were all apparently ignoring them.

mlj_gear, TEPR and DiscoWookie79 like this.
  13. Carl_Tone

Carl_Tone Member

I'm so glad you found some good chinese tubes that are a little more pricey than most current production tubes. They are are probably screened for quality and gain properties (not too high). Looks like the pins may be gold plated as well. If you like the tones then this could certainly be a consistent modern tube purchase for you.

I'm sure you also know that some wonderful anos that will last for years, can also be had for a little more than current production tubes...once you get through the buyers teething period learning curve.

ekkybedmond likes this.
  14. The Dirty Tube

The Dirty Tube Member

I have 300+ NOS and ANOS 12AX7 tubes already in my collection. Six or seven years ago, I read some interesting reviews about Full Music, so I figured I'd try something new.

15. gtrplr71

gtrplr71 Member

:spit Is that real? Audiophiles debate crystal, we debate cables. I thought we where the only ridiculous ones.

16. hitchcaster

hitchcaster Supporting Member

just received one in the mail... these are box plates, never seen a chinese tube with this construction.. popped one in my deluxe and replaced the reissue tung sol.. left it in for now it sounded really good! thx :)

The Dirty Tube and Timbre Wolf like this.
  17. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

where are the reputable dealer sites for these? I might try a couple. But a quick search did not get me much

18. littlejohn

littlejohn Member

I believe there were good reviews/results/operating parameter readings of a the first batches of the Northern Elec tubes by Miles, but later then it appeared the QC went downhill... if I remember the results/report correctly.

19. calfzilla

calfzilla Cynical Hack

Well, since you like those TJ's so much, you can pass the rest of those tubes this way if you aren't going to use them :D

The Dirty Tube likes this.
  20. mlj_gear

mlj_gear Member

In the US? There are none.

Order these no-longer-in-production beauties from Hong Kong or China and cross your fingers. :)