TJ / Full Music - 12AX7 Tubes - TGP Ignores Them?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by The Dirty Tube, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Carl_Tone

Carl_Tone Member

I'm so glad that I did not have a mouth full of coffee when I read that. Not that I'm critical of your collection but just because of my personal situation which is about 30 tube and a strong desire to get rid of almost all except the few which I determined to be favorites. I will say though, that your experience with those potentially adds serious weight to your review of the Chinese tubes.

I will also say that my anos sound excellent in my Fuchs but I prefer modern tubes by far in my Kager bassman spin off.

2. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

That press release looks old to me more than likely the guy is too old to play with tubes anymore. Prolly in the old tubers home

3. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Well that's good to hear! What did the total cost run for one?

4. The Dirty Tube

The Dirty Tube Member

I should clarify that many are plain old GE, Sylvania, Westinghouse, CBS, etc. and are queued up as a sacrificial buffer for my ill-advised experiments.:bkw

5. hitchcaster

hitchcaster Supporting Member

about $22 usd... gonna use it on a gig tonight

6. thosk

thosk Silver Supporting Member

Finally got around to trying out the FMs I ordered several weeks ago. Haven't spent a lot of time with them but they seem to be very good sounding tubes. Nice full, well balanced tone. Compared to the ANOS 7025 I had in V2('75 SFDR), they can hold their own. The 7025 was a little airier with a little tighter low end, but I'd be more than happy with the FM in there, and would be my first choice over most of the current production tubes I've been seeing lately.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
    hitchcaster and The Dirty Tube like this.
  7. keepingitweird

keepingitweird Member

This was a very fun read. Thanks to all.

Timbre Wolf and The Dirty Tube like this.
  8. BenListening

BenListening Member

Just to clarify on this long-laid-to-rest, but still high-in-Google's-cue-for-Full-Music-tubes-inquiries, thread, based on input from several very-long term Hong Kong distributors for the Full Music brand:

TJ Full Music - actual independent private company with at least 2 facilities. The company owner is now past 80 years of age, and in lieu of imminent retirement, the company's small tubes section (12AX7's, 12AU7's, etc.) is being sold, if not already finalized, to PSvane. PSvane is in turn a reputedly completely different company from, and rival company to, Shuguang. PSvane reputedly produces tubes of higher quality than the rival Chinese manufacturer and the supposition of at least one major dealer of new production and NOS tubes is that quality should remain consistent that at present. But of course that's anyone's best guess at best, eh!?

The inconsistency in Full Music label color (red vs. gold) is due to the company's tendency to buy printing medium in one color, use it up, then switch to another, back and forth (their older labels were apparently blue, so there should be at least three colors of these out there).

No idea or indication whether Full Music is responsible for the "Northern Electric" tubes distributed in North America, or any other offbrand tube, for that matter. It seems it's generally been Shuguang responsible for this (the non-Soviet Gold Lion "Replicas" with the lion logo on tube, "Jadis" tubes, the black Treasure Series which has now reportedly been discontinued due to lack of QC and consequent inconsistency of performance, etc.). I'm told by one long-term HK hifi company that deals personally with Full Music's owner/production factory that, as with many folks in his generation, the guy's business approach is pretty "analogue" and this may be a big part of the reason why his company seems obscure and poorly represented in the west.

TJ Full Music makes quite a few "exotic" larger tubes as the website homepage suggests. I have heard a handful of these perform in hifi amps and they can be impressive. My limited experience with the Full Music small tubes (mostly 12AX7's) in hifi amps points to EXCELLENT all-around performance for my taste, better in phono and preamp stages than the other current production 12AX7's I've used (Sovtek, Tung Sol, JJ, Shuguang), not that that's really useful for guitar amps. For hifi playback of guitar music of most any genre, I'm skeptical whether any other current production tube can touch the all-around performance of Full Music 12AX7's. No experience with tubes in guitar amps, but figured this info may prove helpful to anyone considering these tubes but feeling weary given the un-/under-informed accusations made early in this thread, and the open-ended conclusion with which it was left. Maybe anyone else who's tried these tubes in GUITAR amps can weigh in yet.

9. thosk

I've got a pair in my Son Of Yeti. Nice quiet good sounding tubes. Haven't felt the need to roll in anything else.
    Here's an earlier post from when I had them my SFDR:
    I've since ordered another matched pair.

DC1 likes this.
  10. Recharger

Recharger Member

Just wanted to revive this thread.

I have a pair of the TJ 12ax7 in my Marshall 2061x and thought they sounded better in it than anything else i have tried.(EHX, TAD, NOS cv4004,NOS Phillips)

Mine are of the new production and not with gold pins.
    Does anybody know wether there are differences between the "old stock" Tianjin TJ 12ax7 and the newer ones?
    Is it confirmed, that PSVANE makes these tubes now?

Also i have been talking to a big tube seller and they have told me, that the TJ12ax7 in their opinion is more a hifi tube and not really a good choice for guitar amps. They had the experience that these wouldn't hold up long in a guitar amp before they start going bad. Has anybody experienced anything similar? Is somebody using the TJ in a guitar amp for a longer period of time and can report on how they hold up?
    I really would be thankful for every input as i am about to decide if i built up a proper stock of these, because the ones i use now just sound glorious.

Best Richard

11. oneblackened

oneblackened Member

I had two Northern Electric branded TJs and they both went bad very quickly - and were also fairly microphonic. Whether that's because of something I did or not, I don't know - it's certainly a possibility that they don't like cathode followers much. They did sound quite nice while they lasted.

re: where they're made, almost guarantee it's not Shuguang (which, Psvane is just rebranded Shuguangs). It's nothing like their designs, at all - even the bottle is significantly different.

12. Recharger

Recharger Member

I have read somewhere that the TJ inventory was bought by another company but can't remember who it was. I guess it must be Shuguang because on a website named shuguangtube . com (don't know if this is official website) there is a folder with TJ Full Music Tubes.

Maybe Shuguang bought the inventory and now makes them...

Also while i researched for "old stock" TJs i was told by another seller that from one out of five tubes they had problems similar to what you describe.

May really be that they aren't robust enough for guitar amps.
    I really hope others will chime in with different experience as you because i would really like these to be my future go to 12ax7 because of their great sound. But preamp tubes should last significantly longer than half a year...
    Cheers

13. Humble Texan Fan

Humble Texan Fan Member

Not any longer Psvane is. They run their own plant using proprietary tools and technologies.

Even back then they were made in a particular line separate from other Shuguang products.

14. hitchcaster

I bought around 20 of these .. never any issue with microphonics or going dead. These are my favorite sounding 12ax7 current production second only to tung sol which sounds better maybe 20% of the time .. they are very close quility of sound wise tho. Tone is a little different so depends on amp and position.

15. DC1

DC1 Member

Where did you buy them?

thx

dc

16. hitchcaster

China online

17. thosk

I bought a few about 3 years ago, the gold ones that were from the original factory. Still sound great and no issues.

18. DC1

DC1 Member

No US distribution?

thx

dc

19. Recharger

Recharger Member

Has someone been able to compare the new TJ 12ax7 to the old ones made in Tianjin ?

Thanks to all for your feedback.

20. Blue Marvel

Blue Marvel Member

So in this thread people are quoted saying PSvane is rebranded Shuguang and Ben Listening stated in 2017 that PSvane purchased TJ Full music.

Its statements like these is why I question the actual validity that any of the companies are separately producing tubes. Call me a skeptic and I do nicely apologize for it in advance.