TMG Guitars Launched

Status
Not open for further replies.

treeuh

Hey all, just saw the new TMG website launched. I live right down the street, so I've been following it a little, but I imagine they haven't quite gotten their name everywhere yet-- check it out. Their work is pretty impressive- a lot of Aussie session guys and big names (Jimmy Barnes, Phil Immanuel, Nigel Hendroff) are starting to use them.

Here's the link:
http://www.playaplaya.com.au/tmguitars

mattoo31287

My cousin just won a contest for Nigel Hendroff's signature TMG guitar, Jackson Ampworks head, and a signature pedal. I had never heard these guitars it until he posted about his winning on facebook this morning. Pretty cool stuff. Expensive, but cool.

sksmith66

oh yay! another company making $4k reliced partscasters.

this will catch the folks at fenders attention pretty quick.

oh and they do $275 tubescreamer clones. perfect.

sleep

Silver Supporting Member
oh yay! another company making $4k reliced partscasters.

this will catch the folks at fenders attention pretty quick.

oh and they do $275 tubescreamer clones. perfect.
Amen. Even if everything is made by hand, I'd be quite happy to never, ever see a non-Fender branded strat or tele clone (or non Gibson Les Paul, for that matter) ever again. EVER.

treeofpain

Gold Supporting Member
When I saw strat and tele copies, I thought, "YAWN", but at least they seem to be pretty good quality.

sksmith66

naah..but thanks to internet anonymity,some can pretend they have.
no one is pretending to have heard everything because of internet anonymity.

people are expressing their boredom with another manufacturer in an already over saturated market churning out over priced unoriginal copies. you want to get me interested and still lean heavily on the past... I can dig that. I just spent an hour drooling over doug kauer's daylighter argonaughts which is basically a jazzmaster... but not at all a jazzmaster. if you want to make me yawn than show me another $4000 relic partscaster.

are these being built by hand or are the bodies/necks cnc'ed. are they cnc'ed on site or are the using one of the major shops? is the builder paying fees to use fender's headstock shape? who is the head builder? what is his past in the business? tell me why these aren't just another $4k partscaster being assembled by a moderately talented setup guy and beaten about to look old.

Last edited:

sleep

Silver Supporting Member
naah..but thanks to internet anonymity,some can pretend they have.
You can contact most people through their contact page. If my real name was pertinent to the conversation I'd include it but it brings nothing to the issue. I'm just another guy expressing his opinion on a forum where people come to discuss guitars, and I'd happily tire your ear with the same opinion over a drink if you were local.

I thought the boutique partscaster crowd was attempting to attack Fender Custom Shop on their one apparent weakness, which is price. When the price of your copy approaches or exceeds that of the real article while not offering anything new I think people should be bored and wonder why it's necessary.

I hope that these are great guitars and that the company has enough success to eventually ditch the copies and make something original, much as the lawsuits against Japanese guitar manufacturers in the late 70s(?) forced originality on Ibanez and Yamaha (et al).

Derek

MartinC

From someone who's local:

• Great to see a local builder doing good work in Australia ... there isn't the choice here that there is in the US ... certainly nowhere near saturation ... so no yawn factor for me. For Aussies, most stuff is imported and therefore slugged with import duties and middleman fees ... so US gear is expensive for us ... it's the other way around with these TMG guitars.
  • Listening to the clips on the Playa Playa website, I'll be making a trip to try one of these guitars out
  • Nice sounding pedal too ... as someone has already pointed out, at a competitive price in Australia ... and we now have boutique pedals that you can try before you buy!
  • Isn't the build quality, playability and tone more important than the looks? I'm not a relic fan generally ... but I'm interested in these because of the tone ... and is there really such a problem with using a widely accepted shape ... legal matters aside?
  • Price wise in Australia, where they're made, these are competitive with Fender custom shop and other US boutique built guitars ... my imported Suhr classic cost significantly more than the Nigel Hendroff signature that has a sticker price of AUD$3,999 (which includes a pedal and high quality cable). Not knocking Suhr at all ... I love mine ... just saying that for Aussies, these seem to offer reasonable value.

;)

Last edited:

TMG Guitars

Hey guys...

Taylor here from TMG.

I've kinda been watching and seeing what some of you have been writing about TMG.

So let me tell you about me, Yes I'm a tech and also a builder. I've worked for some of the biggest guitar players this world has ever seen. I'm very blessed to call these people my friends. Most of your iPod's are made up of these people.

Now why TMG? This is an easy question! Most of the guys I've worked for never took their vintage guitars on the road, mainly for 2 reasons...1) the fear of breaking them and 2) the fact they always get stolen.

I personally own a nice collection of vintage guitars and thought I would build something that looks as good, plays as well and also something that doesn't cost $50k

TMG...

TMG is all of the above. not a cheap Fe***r clone like some have said. Now yes, I have used a very similar shape to the current headstock but please understand that my guitars were never meant to sell like they have been. Why go to the trouble of making my own headstock when I was just making guitars for my friends.

Now my business partner and I find ourself selling heaps, why? because we love what we do, we work so hard to build something special and anyone who invests over $100k into a product they own would have something pretty dam good!

Seriously, I use the best woods and materials money can buy. Our guitars play like butter! why? because i have worked with the best! I have learnt my trade and now I offer my skill set to the world. We are based in Sydney, i have a workshop here and also in the states. I work both ends of the globe, mainly because Sydney is my home! I want to give the good people of Oz the choice as we don't have much.

Yes a big guitar company did drop me a little email and now I have designed my own headstock shape, a shape that I own. This itself is a real blessing and I am kinda for-filling a childhood dream.

I totally respect this market has been flooded my cheap f***er clones but TMG is not this.

I've sold over 50 guitars so far, in less than 6 weeks! I'm in the states now building with some great friends and trying to keep up with new orders, its not easy!

I do NOT use cheap All-Parts necks or bodies! this I promise you! All my wood work is custom made by friends of mine. I am always here when its made so I can control EVERYTHING! We finish everything ourself, fret all the necks ourself and put that finishing touch on EVERYTHING we do! Nothing leaves the workshop until I say so. Our pickups are custom designed by a very special guy and they are a knock out!

I have my own custom G&G cases and pay a fortune for them! You deserve quality so thats what you shall have.

You have already seen who we make guitars for! These people don't play rubbish.

Now, my guitars are not $4k The limited edition Nigel Hendroff was $3999 in Australia but not worldwide, you can take off 10% tax worldwide so $3635.00. This was for a custom made signature guitar, custom made cable, signature overdrive pedal and custom designed G&G case plus some fantastic case candy.

This is too expensive? I would pay that and i've sold 7 0f 10 so I'm pretty happy with the price. Quality is worth paying for!

You will be able to buy a custom made TMG for under $3k anywhere in the world! You can personally design your own guitar and I will build it and without a 11 month waiting time!! Seriously, any spec, design and finish..We can do it and do it well!

We offer the best! that cant be questioned! I won't stand for people knocking my work as it cant be beaten! You will see for yourself soon enough. It will be in a few selected stores across the world very soon so please go in and play one.

The pedal is the same, its amazing!!! One of the best overdrives you will ever play! its 3 drives in one, so much control and its hand made by some special guys!!! $275 is a great price and its only $250 worldwide!!

I totally respect everyone on this site, we are players like you and would never take anyone for granted.

I hope I have answered a few questions.

Thank you for taking the time to read this! Check out the site in the next few weeks..some excited updates and new players you can check out plus the new design!!!

Blessings!

Taylor
(Taylor McGrath Guitars)

TMG Guitars

You can contact most people through their contact page. If my real name was pertinent to the conversation I'd include it but it brings nothing to the issue. I'm just another guy expressing his opinion on a forum where people come to discuss guitars, and I'd happily tire your ear with the same opinion over a drink if you were local.

I thought the boutique partscaster crowd was attempting to attack Fender Custom Shop on their one apparent weakness, which is price. When the price of your copy approaches or exceeds that of the real article while not offering anything new I think people should be bored and wonder why it's necessary.

I hope that these are great guitars and that the company has enough success to eventually ditch the copies and make something original, much as the lawsuits against Japanese guitar manufacturers in the late 70s(?) forced originality on Ibanez and Yamaha (et al).

Derek
Thanks for the comment Derek, I just posted a reply but yes we now have our own design ;-)

TMG Guitars

no one is pretending to have heard everything because of internet anonymity.

people are expressing their boredom with another manufacturer in an already over saturated market churning out over priced unoriginal copies. you want to get me interested and still lean heavily on the past... I can dig that. I just spent an hour drooling over doug kauer's daylighter argonaughts which is basically a jazzmaster... but not at all a jazzmaster. if you want to make me yawn than show me another $4000 relic partscaster.

are these being built by hand or are the bodies/necks cnc'ed. are they cnc'ed on site or are the using one of the major shops? is the builder paying fees to use fender's headstock shape? who is the head builder? what is his past in the business? tell me why these aren't just another $4k partscaster being assembled by a moderately talented setup guy and beaten about to look old.
Check out my new post! Thanks Taylor (TMG)

mcdes

Member of no importance
I for one, like this reply. Proof is always in the pudding

wouldnt mind seeing a pic of the new headstock?

so is everything made pretty much from scratch, where ever your based in USA/AUSTRALIA?

Hey guys...

Taylor here from TMG.

I've kinda been watching and seeing what some of you have been writing about TMG.

So let me tell you about me, Yes I'm a tech and also a builder. I've worked for some of the biggest guitar players this world has ever seen. I'm very blessed to call these people my friends. Most of your iPod's are made up of these people.

Now why TMG? This is an easy question! Most of the guys I've worked for never took their vintage guitars on the road, mainly for 2 reasons...1) the fear of breaking them and 2) the fact they always get stolen.

I personally own a nice collection of vintage guitars and thought I would build something that looks as good, plays as well and also something that doesn't cost $50k

TMG...

TMG is all of the above. not a cheap Fe***r clone like some have said. Now yes, I have used a very similar shape to the current headstock but please understand that my guitars were never meant to sell like they have been. Why go to the trouble of making my own headstock when I was just making guitars for my friends.

Now my business partner and I find ourself selling heaps, why? because we love what we do, we work so hard to build something special and anyone who invests over $100k into a product they own would have something pretty dam good!

Seriously, I use the best woods and materials money can buy. Our guitars play like butter! why? because i have worked with the best! I have learnt my trade and now I offer my skill set to the world. We are based in Sydney, i have a workshop here and also in the states. I work both ends of the globe, mainly because Sydney is my home! I want to give the good people of Oz the choice as we don't have much.

Yes a big guitar company did drop me a little email and now I have designed my own headstock shape, a shape that I own. This itself is a real blessing and I am kinda for-filling a childhood dream.

I totally respect this market has been flooded my cheap f***er clones but TMG is not this.

I've sold over 50 guitars so far, in less than 6 weeks! I'm in the states now building with some great friends and trying to keep up with new orders, its not easy!

I do NOT use cheap All-Parts necks or bodies! this I promise you! All my wood work is custom made by friends of mine. I am always here when its made so I can control EVERYTHING! We finish everything ourself, fret all the necks ourself and put that finishing touch on EVERYTHING we do! Nothing leaves the workshop until I say so. Our pickups are custom designed by a very special guy and they are a knock out!

I have my own custom G&G cases and pay a fortune for them! You deserve quality so thats what you shall have.

You have already seen who we make guitars for! These people don't play rubbish.

Now, my guitars are not $4k The limited edition Nigel Hendroff was $3999 in Australia but not worldwide, you can take off 10% tax worldwide so $3635.00. This was for a custom made signature guitar, custom made cable, signature overdrive pedal and custom designed G&G case plus some fantastic case candy.

This is too expensive? I would pay that and i've sold 7 0f 10 so I'm pretty happy with the price. Quality is worth paying for!

You will be able to buy a custom made TMG for under $3k anywhere in the world! You can personally design your own guitar and I will build it and without a 11 month waiting time!! Seriously, any spec, design and finish..We can do it and do it well!

We offer the best! that cant be questioned! I won't stand for people knocking my work as it cant be beaten! You will see for yourself soon enough. It will be in a few selected stores across the world very soon so please go in and play one.

The pedal is the same, its amazing!!! One of the best overdrives you will ever play! its 3 drives in one, so much control and its hand made by some special guys!!! $275 is a great price and its only $250 worldwide!!

I totally respect everyone on this site, we are players like you and would never take anyone for granted.

I hope I have answered a few questions.

Thank you for taking the time to read this! Check out the site in the next few weeks..some excited updates and new players you can check out plus the new design!!!

Blessings!

Taylor
(Taylor McGrath Guitars)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Topics