TMS Guest Guitar Players... is it me?

Yer Blues

Michael Schenker was on it?!? I'd like to see that episode.

I think it is what it is so you get what you get.

Every now and then after watching an episode I get inspired and try to come up with 3-5 10-15 second licks that I'd play if I was the guest guitarist. It's fun to try and come up with something that is so short, yet so concise.

Luke

They give them 10 seconds to rip before a commercial break, what do you expect them to play in so little time?

Fenderesq

I love when they have John 5 on his playing is really incredibly musical while demonstrating amazing chops.

ronmail65

Gold Supporting Member
They give them 10 seconds to rip before a commercial break, what do you expect them to play in so little time?
Something intelligible. Clear notes and/or chords with some expression and technique.

I don't really care for the over-distorted, big delay'd, dive-bombing / pick sliding pile of noise. I'd like to think these guys have more to offer than that. Anybody with a decent ear, a few minutes of prep time, and a fraction of their playing experience has the ability to do a better job than lots of these guys. Don't you think so? Or, maybe they think that's what people want to hear and maybe most people do - I might be the outlier in their audience.

frennis

I wish it was. It's a much better show. Right now it's Jersey guys with low brow humor who think hard rock never got better than UFO and Kiss.
This is my impression of the show as well. Can't stand the hosts, and the dumb games they play. Most of the guests on the show have had pretty interesting lives, it would be cool to get a good interviewer on there to get a little more in depth.
The show reminds me of the old Chris Farley sketch when he interviews his heros.
The guitar playing definitely favors the guys with the extreme solo shred skills (John 5, Yngwie etc). The guys from the metal bands are better in the band context. Paul Gilbert would be great (don't know if he's done the show).

Zero

I've noticed almost all of the guest players have a really brittle sound. Awful sounding.

RickC

It's just good dumb TV fun; doesn't aspire to be anything more. I always enjoy the guest player slots, but John 5 stands out among the herd for me.

/rick

stevieboy

Clouds yell at me
Gold Supporting Member
People will find fault with anything.

What's next, a "Jennifer isn't hot enough" thread?

Rick Lee

I used to always see John 5 at NAMM with a crowd around him, waiting for autographs. I had no idea who he was or even his name until I saw him play on TMS. I was well impressed. When the hell are they gonna get EVH on there?

Yer Blues

I used to always see John 5 at NAMM with a crowd around him, waiting for autographs. I had no idea who he was or even his name until I saw him play on TMS. I was well impressed. When the hell are they gonna get EVH on there?
I don't think they've got EVH on there, but they did get Yngwie and Michael Schenker. The guests guitarist are very impressive.

Luke

I don't think they've got EVH on there, but they did get Yngwie and Michael Schenker. The guests guitarist are very impressive.
EVH will never go on there, as Sammy and Mike have been. Just like Gene and Paul will never go because of Ace and Peter.

stevieboy

Clouds yell at me
Gold Supporting Member
I mentioned the show I just watched where the guy was playing the Trussart. They also showed the amp he was using, which they said was just donated to the show by EVH--some model he endorses I think. Sorry if I don't know a lot about this stuff! But I still enjoy the show.

Anyway, they thanked him and spoke about how much they'd love to get EVH himself on the show. I'm sure they'd love him as the guest guitarist but would really love him as a interview guest.

Wolfgangsta

Silver Supporting Member
I mentioned the show I just watched where the guy was playing the Trussart.
I'm pretty sure that was Tom Keifer from Cinderella. I thought he did a fine job. I agree with many of these posts that John 5, Steve Stevens, Joel Hoelkstra, Billy Sheehan, and Frank Hannon were highlights. Oh yeah, and Yngwie brought the fookin fury too. :)

Trending Topics