• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

To 4x12 or to not 4x12....that is the question

RichSZ

Gold Supporting Member
I must be crazy.

Reality tells me I could never use a 4x12 in any of the gigs or band things I do. But damn, I want one. I want one BAD! And I want a good one.

I'm thinking a StoneAge or Mojo loaded with the new Heritage G12-65s. That would be a helluva cab for home use. And I think it would be a good all around cab with the 65's. Opinions?

Anybody else own a 4x12 simply for home use?

-Rich

Guitar James

BTW I use a 4x12 all the time at home and never have any problems, it depends more on how good the master is on your amp.

BadAssBill

I'm going to get one someday as well...but, I want a beater. IMHO no use pouring all that money into something I can't use often. I'll get a beater for around $200, and if I need to I can change the speakers over time. I love my 2x12, but nothing like the punch of a 4x12.

Kidcactus

I'm in the process of putting a 4-12 cab together for home use as I play in Church thru a 1-12 cab at low volume. I haven't owned a 4-12 for a few years but the itch to have one over whelmed me. I picked up a Germino straight cab and am waiting for my last 2 speakers to arrive. I'm loading it with Celestion Heritage G12m 20 watt speakers. If I have to move it, it'll probably be from the bedroom to the garage. I have 3 2-12 cabs but the thought of a 4-12 has been in the back of my mind for a long time. Go for it!

908SSP

The only question in my mind is do you have the room for it? I have 5 and they never leave my play room. I play them all now and then a couple I play nearly every day. I think that 100 watt cab is all you will ever need plus they sound better to me at lower volumes then anything more.

wsaraceni

i dont think i've ever gone to a show where i've seen a band with a 4x12 and the rest of the PA and audience couldnt keep up with it. loud maybe, but it is rock, it doesnt have to be quiet. how small of a venue is it to not let you crank an amp into a 4x12?

Crewchief

I use a 4X12 at home and do not gig at the moment. I have my "play" room that is roughly 10'x12' and my wife can still watch TV in the living room comfortably while I practice at moderate volumes.

jamison162

What about 2 - 2x12's. I was just thinking what 2 of the Wave 212 Cabs would sound like vs. the 412 Wave.

My Avatar Vintage is a great sounding cab, it's open back though.
But..the Shiva ported 1x12 with Classic Lead 80 is so much bigger sounding. That's why I picked up the Wave.

I'll be danged if I'm gonna end up with a 412 by the time it's over with - or is it ever really over?

EADGBE

Anybody else own a 4x12 simply for home use?
I play my Marshall 1960 4x12 at home all of the time. (Or at least before 10:00 PM :rotflmao). Anyway I think a good 4x12 is a great musical investment. Nothing else sounds like them. I'd also like to own a greenback and vintage 30 4x12.

spookybonus

for home use i use two 4x12's a 2x12" and an old sunn folded 18"...my band doesn't use a bass player so i cover the low end as well....

i think you can handle a 4x12" it's not scary

Bo Faulkner

Would the differences in 4 vs. 2 translate through the mix of a pa? My highest volume playing at the moment is at my Church! I use a Club 40 dimed with a long speaker cable and the 2x12 in the back room miced up.. I too have lusted a 4x12 but havent been sure if it would make that much difference in the PA when all is said and done

Nomadgtr

It might not make much of a difference for a church gig but if you're playing rock it does make a difference. I have a StoneAge 4x12 that I play at home and gig with. I just played a gig two weeks ago with it and had no problems with the PA mix at all. We were doing rock and blues and it worked out just fine. I just love the wallop a 4x12 delivers!

mesanatic

You have to have at least one! I'm not good for advice on this subject though since my 4 cabs are all 4x12. I had 6 but sold 2. I play then at home much more than my combos. They sound nice, and full.

I've used my Marshall G1265 cab with all my amps. Great speakers.

Trending Topics