To all komet users, what attenuator do you use?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Young Angus, Sep 11, 2004.

1. Young Angus

Young Angus Member

Ive got a komet and really need to buy an attenuator for it...those of you who have played one will know why ;)

The one im most likely to get and that is easiest to get is a THD Hotplate, and ive heard mixed reviews about these but mainly good...although none from komet users.

So what do you komet guys think about if the hotplate will go well with the komet or if theres as better one that would suit it more?

Any comments welcome...cheers :D

2. philster

philster Member

Not sure about the HotPlate, but I have been using the Komet Airbrake with excellent results. Yes, at maximal attenuation settings, the dynamics get squashed and you lose the frequency extremes, but at 2 or 3 clicks, the tone stays very much intact and makes the amp usable for most situations.

3. Timster

Timster Member

doood, just get some ear plugs and blast away!!!:D ;)

4. Blueser

Blueser Member

I have tried the Hotplate, Z. Airbrake, and the Allessandro Muzzle, and the best attenuator I have found with the Connie is the Weber MASS 50. Simply incredible tone, and is $100 less than the next highest product.

5. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

VaughnC'ism: To me...."an attenuator on a Komet is like washing your hands while wearing gloves" :eek:.

For lower volume overdrive, I much prefer the right OD pedal in front of the Komet and letting the amp breathe its fire the way it was intended.

6. 908SSP

908SSP Member

I use a brand new Ultimate. Kind of cheesy box but nicer then the Alessandro I have. Sounds slightly better too. Will take any input from 4 to 16 ohms to any output from 4 to 16 ohms. Infinitely adjustable volume no steps. Only down side for me is the fan comes on any time it is plugged in the fan is very quiet. It is powered not just passive. Has a line out with volume adjuster.

7. Blueser

Blueser Member

Although this is totally subjective, I cannot find an OD or distortion pedal anywhere that give me the tonal complexity of my Constellation through a Weber MASS. Lord knows I tried a ton of them!

To each their own I guess!

8. Dr Rico

Dr Rico Member

I use a Kometbrake or a Weber Mass or an Alessandro Muzzle, depending on the desired load. I run my attenuator in parallel and out of the signal path to knock down the volume by about 3 dB. Works great. Sounds great. Feels great. What's not to like?

9. Chuck Snider

Chuck Snider Member

With my Komet 60 ,The Alessandro Muzzle and the Komet brake were better sounding than the THD.. I think the THD sounded great with my 100 (140) watt superlead though.. All in all I think any attenuator takes away from the Komets tone and feel, Maybe you should try less efficient speakers first ? or a 2X12 instead of a 4X12... The Komet sounds best unleashed IMO....

10. Distortion

Distortion Member

Me too :D

11. Weldaar

Weldaar Member

Komet AirBrake? Is that the same as the Dr Z AirBrake,or is that the older one with the Ohmite resistor? They are hard to find.

12. Robal

Robal Supporting Member

I have two Komet Airbrakes, a THD, and an Ultimate Attenuator that I just got for use with my Komet 60. I have preferred using the Airbrake as a load, like BrewBeck, but that only cuts the power about in half. I wanted to take it down more so I got the UA. I haven't had a chance to really compare it with the Airbrake, but I will over the next month or so and report back.

13. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

I've been thinking about the ULTIMATE myself. I'd be very interested to see what you turn up.

Thanks,
    Paul

14. RobertMiller

RobertMiller Member

Interested to hear about the UA as well.

Never tried the Weber MASS. But I have done an a/b with a Hot Plate and a Kometbrake at the house. Kometbrake was more transparent to my ears. Also worked great during a trial run with a Komet 60 at my last gig. Will soon be the proud owner of a 60 and a brake, and my rig/tone quest will be over.

15. Bearded

Bearded Member

Just curious. Is it harmful to run 2 attenuators on an amp. 1 as a load on the 2nd spkr out to lower the output, and 1 in line with the cab down 1 or 2 clicks?

Is that ok? I'm sure the tone would be better this way than running an attenuator in line down to -12db or so, which squaushes out all the dynamics.

Joe

16. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

Uhem...why not the 100 watt Mass? Seems with the 50 you'd be pushing it.

17. dayn

dayn Supporting Member

I have the same question about using 2 attenuators on a Komet...safe? Good results?

Thanks!

18. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

:BEER

19. dayn

dayn Supporting Member

Need it? Maybe yes, maybe no...

...but is the 2 attenuator idea going to work?

20. mlongano

mlongano Member

Maybe Hogy will chime in here...