To all Soldano SLO-100 users

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by eddie101, Feb 22, 2005.

1. eddie101

eddie101 Member

Well, Gents, I just got a Soldano SLO-100 and am just getting the hang of it. The tone is unique in its own way but it is a bit trebly sounding. I have not checked the preamp tubes but do you think something like JJ tubes will warm up the amp or do you recommend NOS tubes?

I am also a bit perplexed about the best/correct way to utilize "Clean/Crunch" mode. Is there a foot switch to jump from one mode to the other and how do you guys compensate for the volume variation as it changes pretty dramatically from clean to crunch. I mean how do you guys manuever from doing a "Clean" number to a song that requires some "Crunch" rhythm?? Thanks in advance!!

2. sws1

sws1 Member

That amp is bright amp. You can put in the Warren Haynes mod, which darkens it.

You don't switch between clean and crunch. You must pick one.

Best thing is to put in on crunch and use guitar volume to clean it up.

3. eddie101

eddie101 Member

U da man :dude

Thanks!

4. eddie101

eddie101 Member

So called "Warren Haynes" mod, can it be done anywhere or do I have to send it back to the factory? How $$ much do they typically go for?

Thanks again!

5. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

Eddie,
    The speakers soldano uses in their cab smooth out the amp (IMHO). I can't remember what they are some rebranded eminence..

6. sws1

sws1 Member

I think the mods run about $250 each at the factory. From what I understand the Warren Haynes mod is pretty easy. Soldano will give the specs to an amp tech to do. If you're handy with a drill and soldering, you could probably do it.

7. WailinGuy

WailinGuy Member

IIRC, the Warren Haynes mod is extremely simple - supposedly the stock amp has a "brite" bypass cap soldered to the drive channel's gain pot. The mod is simply to remove that cap. This makes the overdrive channel more useable at lower settings of the gain knob, where that cap can make the tone too bright. If I'm correct about this, then the WH mod would not have any effect upon the tone of the clean/crunch channel.

Also, if I'm correct, $250 is a ridiculous amount of money to spend for this mod. Most of the labor involved is the time it takes to remove the chassis from the head box and then to put it back in after clipping out the cap.

8. grantster

grantster Member

Those pesky little bright caps! They spoil all the fun of those who can't pin their amps on 10!

9. Synergy Guitars

Synergy Guitars Member

Eddie,

It is done at the Factory, but only if the Amp was purchased from an Authorized Soldano Dealer. They simply do not have enough time to do these mods on Amps not sold through the Dealers. They are flooded by these requests.

If it was from an Authorized Dealer, call up Soldano Direct and, yes, you need it to go directly there for the mod. I did see the post above, stating how one member says it can be done, but I am not an amp tech, although we are Authorized Soldano Dealers, I would not suggest doing the mod yourself or any out of the ordinary Mod. What happens if you or I ( Pretending to be a Consumer) fry the amp? Then what? Call Soldano, first before attempting any mod. If it truly was that simple, every amp tech out there would know about it. Perhaps, it is that simple, still not worth the risk of a Fried Amp.

Hope this helps,

Robert B.

10. wrecked

wrecked Member

Hi Eddie!

I'd have to respectfully disagree with Robert on this one. Now I definitely don't think a person should just dive right into working on a tube amp, as there are certain serious hazards inside a chassis to be wary of, but paying $250 to have the factory perform this mod is lunacy IMO.

I've never seen an official schematic of the "Warren Haynes Mod", so it is certainly possible that it could have become much more complicated, but as I understand it, the entire modification consists of the removal of a 1nF capacitor that bypasses the overdrive volume control. For aesthetic reasons, a quality tech may resolder the pot lugs and remove the cap's lead, but just clipping the cap off would work just fine. Again, I want to stress that I don't mean to suggest that this particular kind of work is within everyone's skill set (because of the aforementioned risks), but really, beyond those concerns, the actual technical skill required to perform this mod pales in comparison to something like changing a guitar string.

If I'm mistaken about the price or the Haynes mod itself, I'd gladly welcome any corrections anyone can offer; I've never heard anything negative about Soldano's service so hopefully this is just a simple misunderstanding. :)

Matt

11. Synergy Guitars

Synergy Guitars Member

I completely agree with the above, just because I or you am handy with a Soldering gun, does not mean everyone is and if they turn around and fry that amp, they will be bummed. But {OFF THE RECORD} if you feel you are more than capable of attempting mods on your amps, you would know and probably just do it.

Best of luck.

12. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

FWIW, I found the reverb 0 sonic to be a much more mellow high gain soldano sound. I'd really suggest trying a soldano cab before givin up. They really do smooth the amp out.

13. TheAmpNerd

TheAmpNerd Member

Yeah, best bet is take it to a tech and let'em do a
    professional job...plus he takes all the risk (for you
    non-risk takers out there).

Rawk on...

:dude

14. templar

templar Member

what did you replace it with?

15. lv

lv Supporting Member

If I ever get another SLO, I would clip that bright cap out myself. I've never used the amp without the mod engaged (bright cap bypassed). Makes for a cleaner front panel, and I think the amp has plenty of high end even without the bright cap. Plus you don't need to buy new, or search for a used one that already has it. $250 is silly, it can't take more than 15 min to do.

Also, try keeping the mid knob set real low (between 2-4) for smoother tones.

16. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Take your slo100 to your amp tech, and have him remove the little cap on the gain knob...I did this years ago when I owned one of these...It helps, but Warren is one of the few players I known that has venues in which you can turn the master volume up to 6, which is where the amps starts to warm up...Below that it was still to bright, even with my old Marshall 1960 cab with original greenbacks...My friend Evan Cantor at Bedrock amps tested the output for me, and My Slo100 was capable of putting out 145 watts RMS all day long...I sold it, and now a days play a Ganesha 1/100 with NO master volume, just a wattage control!!!!