To all the worship/praise guys...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Supern00b, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Supern00b

Supern00b Member

If you guys do songs from Hillsong (United, in this context) and/or Delirious?'s stuff, how do you get the more gritty tones?

Can you get these tones out of a "clean" amp, like a Ceriatone overtone, fender, or Vox?

2. Reyybarra

Reyybarra Supporting Member

I use a bassman with an ocd and a keeley katana, and pretty much can get close to anything i hear with just that setup...

3. Fndrbndr

Fndrbndr Member

Vox AC30 -w- a tubescreamer...or an Orange Squeezer & a boost pedal

4. sixstring531

sixstring531 Supporting Member

Vox ac30 (used to have fdII and original expandora -- which is what Nigel used) with a TREX Moller (much prefer over FDII) and BB Preamp. Can't go wrong with the AC30.

5. Supern00b

Supern00b Member

yea, he runs it thru a matchless tho...whats a fdII?

6. troykennedy

troykennedy Member

Fulldrive 2 from Fulltone. Pretty much a staple in those circles.

Delirious use that in addition to a number of other things. The Expandora is another one that is big for Delirious.

7. Harrison0811

Harrison0811 Supporting Member

most el84 amps will get you the perfect tone.. and any good od pedal will work too.

8. powermatt99

powermatt99 Member

Mesa Lonestar Special + Fulltone Fulldrive II

Channel one is set relatively clean (into to From the Inside Out).
    Channel one with the FDII yields the smooth mid-boosted rhythm sounds.
    Channel two gets me that gritty sound.
    Channel two with the FDII puts me into Plexi territory which I use for lead tones.

Its not exactly what Nigel and his successors use but I also need to cover some other as well. Like previous posters have said, the AC30 works well.

FWIW, I keep delays and modulation effects in the loop so they are not in the way of the preamp tone.

9. freeradical

freeradical Member

10. thudle

thudle Member

you'll be able to achieve those gritty tones with some stompbox pedals (Fulldrive II, Xotic BB Preamp, Visual Sounds Route 66) . A Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, VOX AC30, Dr. Z are all great amps for worship.

11. dmbandtimmy

dmbandtimmy Member

I would say vox type amp will definitely give you that chimey grind. Pair that with a FD2 for overdrive and you have that sound.

I also think you can get close to that sound with a fender etc. with the FD2 too. The guys above nailed it on the head. Any good od will work. I think it just comes down to preferance, but I think something like the FD2 is a well known and good sounding unit. Before I got my Axe I used a peavey prowler for my practice amp, which, is a solid little 6l6 amp and a dual rectifier live and I think I got pretty close to those tones. Good luck!

12. Supern00b

Supern00b Member

I have a dual rectifier, planning to sell for a Ceriatone Overtone..

13. dmbandtimmy

dmbandtimmy Member

Hey man I see your from the Springs. Nice site you have there. I have some family there and actually just got back from there a few weeks back. I'll have to check out a show/service the next time I there. :dude

14. dmbandtimmy

dmbandtimmy Member

Yeah the Dual probably isn't the best for that tone as you know. I don't know much about the Ceriatone, but I think its more in the dumble camp.

I bet it would work, but if I were buying an amp strictly for the type of tone your looking for I would definitely go with something in the AC30 vein.

Do you happen to have any good amp stores near you to test drive some of the amps? Guitar center is pretty good with their return policy so you can take one home and try it out on you own time to see if you like it.

Unfortunately, I think your going to get a lot of different answers as a lot of amps can do the job. Worship music is awesome! Good luck man!

15. MemphisCR

MemphisCR Member

Tophat Club Royale, 1-12 cab loaded with a G-12H anniversary (for a little more headroom and pop), eternity pedal, and an RC Booster. Use the amp with the RC Booster on for clean to chimey low gain (i.e. Vox) tones, riding the guitar's volume, then I have the option of kicking in the eternity pedal, also riding the guitar's volume, for edgier chime to full out crunch. Works well for our purposes.

16. Supern00b

Supern00b Member

I have a friend w/ an AC30, but I don't think it gets enough gain w/ just a ts-9 and cranked amp..

For variety purposes, should I just go for the overtone?

17. thewheelies

thewheelies Member

I've been working on a record this week covering a lot of that ground and I've been using a handwired ac15 - very versatile with those two channels - plus a Toadworks Texas Flood (808 style drive) and Keeley Fuzzhead.

18. guitarpkr67

guitarpkr67 Supporting Member

I use a Ac-15 with a Tim pedal. I love it. If I need to get a little heavier I'll use my Brown Rabbit or LDO clone.

19. sixstring531

sixstring531 Supporting Member

If you want an overtone, get an overtone. The sound you're asking about comes from the matchless and AC30 (Nigel does, or did use one) with a TS pedal, some modulations and delays. I am sure the overtone can get you in that camp (I have never played one or heard one live, so I really have no idea) but as far as a ton of worship bands goes, EL84 driven amps seem to be the staple.

I use mine every Sunday night (hopefully Sunday mornings coming soon)

20. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

I have an Overtone and I haven't quite got it dialed in yet. My Klienulator is on the way, this is a device for the passive loop that allows you to insert rack effects, I have a TC G Sharp I plan to use. So far the amp has wonderful cleans, I like the cleans with the boost on (bypasses the amps tone stack), this allows me to use the stack on the lead channel only. The lead channel is a good bluesy Fender meets Marshall tone and to be honest the amp does what it does well without any pedals. This was what I was looking for, one amp, no pedal board. I have yet to play it at church, I use a Maz 18 with a board right now. It works and I know what's going to happen at any given time so I'm sticking with it till I get the learning curve on the Overtone behind me. If I can, I will swtch to it. If I can't I'll have to sell the OT and look eleswhere.

By the way, a BB Preamp, Honey Bee or a Timmy are all good choices with a Maz 18 or an AC30. I use one of those from time to time as well.