to enlarge neck pocket or to reshape neck heel?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by oneass, Mar 2, 2012.

1. oneass

oneass Member

Last week I bought a G&L neck - see http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1038842 .

Of course, I knew it wouldn't fit in a regular fender-sized neck pocket, but I bought it anyway. :) It is both wider and longer then a standard neck, although I do already have a strat body with the correct neck pocket width.

So now what do I do about the depth? If I enlarge the neck pocket of my strat body, there's NO WOOD LEFT between the neck and the pickup cavity... So how important is it for the heel end to actually touch wood?

The other option is to shorten the neck (keeping the fretboard intact, of course). I kinda hesitate to do this, because I don't know how much I can shave off without running into the truss rod. And obviously I don't want to ruin my brand new neck. :messedup

Soo... any advice?

2. fumbler

fumbler Member

Yeah, that's why 22-fret necks for Fender bodies have the overhang for that last fret. I think you really do want good contact with the body at the butt end of the neck; that's what the whole "WalterW neck trick" is all about (although Walter is the first to admit that he didn't invent it). I don't think you want the neck crashing into the pickup cavity.

There are so many necks available for Fenders. I'd just pick up a new neck. Or try to find a G&L body.

If you try to reshape the body then it will be forever mated to that one neck; whether you like it or not. If it doesn't work out then you're stuck with a trashed body AND neck. So if you insist on doing it I'd try to reshape the neck not the body. But I have no idea where the truss rod anchor is; it's not apparent from the photos. You should really try to nail that down before you touch any tools.

3. oneass

oneass Member

Thanks. I knew about the WalterW trick, which I believe was actually also in the old G&L manuals. I even tried it on this particular body (with another neck), and it did make quite a lot of difference. So yeah, I suppose it's not a good idea to remove all that wood...

I could do that. But I've heard so many good thing about G&L necks, that I really want to experience what it's all about... :) And if I buy a new neck, I wonder what the resale value of the G&L is - G&L's are not that common around here, so the chance someone's looking for a replacement neck is really low.

So if I do go through with the plan of reshaping the neck heel: any idea how far from the neck butt the truss rod starts?