To Fast Fret Users

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by digthosetubes, Jun 3, 2008.

1. digthosetubes

digthosetubes Senior Member

This is a question for users of Fast Fret.

Just curious if others who use this product regularly like it as much as I do? I rate it a 10. Keeps my strings feeling and sounding good for a long time. The strings on my two Nocasters, installed January, still sound decent -- and they are clean and shine.

I apply according to directions. I stick part of an old cotton shirt in between strings and frets and slide it up and down neck, polishing both strings and frets. Eliminates any buildup of gunk. Then polish the tops of the strings with supplied cloth. Blow off lint with a bulb hurricane blower.

To me, spray on products get gunk all over the place, whereas the fast fret can be applied to strings only.

I keep it in a small jar and find that a new tube every few months works wonders.

Do you like this product, too?

2. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Member

I use it and like it. Before that I used Dr. Stringfellow in the glide-on bottle. Fast Fret is a little less messy, seems to do a good job of cleaning the strings. A small thing, but definitely recommended.

3. erplander

erplander Member

I use it and like it a lot. I'd be replacing strings a lot more often without it.

4. digthosetubes

How is fast fret messy? Just curious.

If you push down hard, then you will get some on the fretboard.

But unless you press down hard, you get it on the strings only.

5. tlpruitt

tlpruitt Member

I have been a Fast Fret user for almost 20 years now. I keep a tube of it in every guitar case that I take to gigs. At gigs I use it before and after each set. Keeps the strings clean and helps them sound good for a long time.

I rate it a 10 too.

I also started using the Blitz string cleaner cloth a few years ago and it works well too. Better than Fast Fret at cleaning strings but not as convenient and quick.

-Tim

6. digthosetubes

This is what I have found -- that it keep the strings sounding good for a very long time.

The strings also feel good to my fingers with the lubricant on them. This is important as it's the user interface between player and instrument.

I think the key to my happiness with the product comes from wiping the strings down carefully after application.

The lubricant also keeps the frets nice and new looking and feeling. Good for bends.

I wash the rags I use to wipe down the instrument periodically and am selective about which "rags" are used.

7. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

i couldnt live without the stuff. keeps your strings sounding good longer and makes my fingers just glide across them. i use it pretty much every time i plug in, new strings or not.

8. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

I've gotten away from using it, but it definitely got me thru many gigs when I didn't have time to restring and I had some gunkly old strings on the guitar.

9. Shawn S.

Shawn S. Member

I have horribly corrosive hands. I once lightly consulted a dermatologist about it, and it was suggested that it was the food and drinks I consume (which kill my strings). Who knows... but I'd really like to know.

Anyway, I have used Fast Fret forever. Without it, with regular uncoated strings (I don't like the feel of coated, yet anyway) I can go through strings in about a week. They get too funky and gunky otherwise. With Fast Fret I can make them last two weeks, maybe a bit more if I really am pushing it.

I always wash my hands before I play, and do it habitually anyway throughout the day, cause I "feel" the nastiness on them. Anyone else like that?

10. Freedom

Freedom Member

Yeap, i use it all the time...;)

11. es125luv

es125luv Member

I used to use it a lot. I liked it better for some reason when it came in the metal can, and not the plastic container.

I have since gone on to using the Dr. Ducks Axe Wax...

I love the stuff.

12. giggedy

giggedy Member

I love fast fret. The fret board feels dry without it. I couldn't even imagine doing another outdoor gig without the stuff. I live in Colorado, and the neck gets really really dry without it.

13. eyeball987

eyeball987 Member

I can't use it. I have tried a few times. My hands end up feeling like I just ate a bunch of greasy fried chicken and then when right to the guitar. Even if I wipe it off. My hands have acidic sweat and literally eat strings. I use Elixir strings now and couldn't be happier.

14. telemike

telemike Member

I'm a big fan of Fast Fret and keep multiple containers around the house and in gig bags. Here's a little trick that has worked well for me. I was tired of the plastic containers breaking or the lids coming off in my gig bag and subsequently drying out the applicator prematurely. I started wrapping the bottom of the container with electrical tape and also placing two strips across the top and down the side to act as a hinge to keep the lids from popping off. It works great and really extends the life of each container because the lid is always kept on tight. Try it, it works.

15. giggedy

giggedy Member

I've got to try that, I've broken so many (read: all) of the containers.

16. sandman

sandman Member

I've kept an old tin container and use that with every new FF ;)

17. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Member

same here.

18. Joses

Joses Member

Fast fret user here. Love it!

19. zygoat

zygoat Supporting Member

I love Fast Fret. I get so much more life out of my strings.

20. digthosetubes

I always was the hands before playing the guitar. And I dry them carefully. Helps. Too much washing them will chap the skin.