To Floyd or not to Floyd. That is my strat.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by BBQLS1, Jul 25, 2006.

1. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

I have finally got my strat to sound nice and thick, like I like. Now, I'm thinking about removing the Wilkinson VS50 and installing a Floyd Rose. I used to have a Gibson MIII with a Floyd, so I know the pros and cons. I've just always wanted a strat with a floyd ala Richie Sambora or something. It's MIM, and it's all modded out anyways. What do you think?

2. MuleHead

MuleHead Member

I'm used to play Floyds, but since locking tuners came out I haven't had the need. My impression is that Floyds seem to make the strings dead at the nut...no sustain from the peghead. BUT -- they sure are fun! Go for it!

3. Tuberattler

Tuberattler Member

Nooooooo!! Don't Floyd it's a tone sucker..besides don't do it to a FENDER!!

4. Gi-gi-giggity

Gi-gi-giggity Member

Don't. If you want a Floyd, then buy an Anderson, Zion, Jackson or even a Richie Sambora Model, but don't retro-fit one on your Strat.

5. bullet69

bullet69 Member

probably cheaper to find a used one with a floyd on it that way you can keep both

6. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

But I hate strats. :dude

Did I mention, that I already removed the six screw trem and put in a two post Wilkinson?

7. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

Here you are probably right.

8. hawkeye17

hawkeye17 Member

I did that to my old '87 Strat and I have never forgiven myself to this day haha. I ened up selling it last year :/

9. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

Wilkinson is a two point, Floyd is a two point. Have you invested in one of those extry-special self lubricating nuts? might be all you need. Decades ago Allan Holdsworth maintained that the strings passing through the block made all the difference in tone, which is why he didn't go to them then. I assume he knows more than me :p

10. gennation

gennation Member

You can Floyd, just don't Floyd all over yourself and get it on the audience ;)