To former Carr Mercury owners

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bobeau, Nov 15, 2005.

1. bobeau

bobeau Member

Why did you sell the amp? I'm considering one of these and it looks pretty cool for a home amp.

2. BountyHuntr

BountyHuntr Supporting Member

Blew a fuse in mine 1st night gigging. It's a great sounding amp but would not keep up on a live stage fighting drums and another 60W amp.... Home use is very nice!

3. bobeau

bobeau Member

Thanks for the response. I would be scared taking something like this out without miking it.

Anyone else?

4. Blueser

Blueser Member

I didn't like the upper register tweedy harshness that the amp exhibited. Just didn't do it for me.

5. bobeau

bobeau Member

Blueser,

Did you play around with other speakers/tubes? I've read swapping the speaker turns it into a different (better) beast.

Hmm... so what did you guys replace it with? Are you happy with it?

From the clips I've heard I think it's a smokin little amp, but my main worry is that tonewise it seems like it would be a bit inflexible. Basically if you want gain you have to cut the tone stack out and left to using a cut switch and the knobs on your instrument worries me a bit.

OTOH the built-in attenuator, and size/weight are huge pluses, and used it's expensive but not _too_ expensive. Should I look at something like an Aiken Invader instead? I really want a nice clean and have no issue with tweed-like breakup.

6. Gary F.

Gary F. Member

I had one for awhile, then sold it. Really nice living room amp, in fact, for me, a little too nice. I get what i need from my Fender Super champ at home practice. My main gigging amps are a Carr Rambler and Carr Imperial. Oddly, i get more of that BF sound from my ~$500 SC than i did from my $1800 Mercury. YMMV, of course.

Gary

7. YZDanno

YZDanno Member

I loved the idea of the attenuator built-in and the tone was overall pretty good. However, I tested it side by side with my Bad Cat CubIIR and realized just how damned good the Bad Cat is. When I went back to the Mercury, it felt like it was missing some spank that the Bad Cat had in spades. To each his own though, since there are many Mercury owners that swear by them.

8. tubes2bits

tubes2bits Guest

YZDanno:

Is your Bad Cat too loud for bedroom studio use?

9. bobeau

bobeau Member

Many thanks.

So have any of you guys swapped speakers? I've read the Celestian Blue makes a significant change for the better.

I have a blue. I also have a '65 silver bulldog :cool:

It's just logistically the amp is perfect for me (for the most part).

AFA the Bad Cat and whatnot, I'm sure it's fantastic. I'll be dumping a Matchless Chieftain and Maz Jr pretty soon... as, well, I need a good power attenuator ;)

10. YZDanno

YZDanno Member

Well, yeah the Bad Cat is technically too loud for bedroom recording, but I don't really do any bedroom recording.

11. KenSea

KenSea Member

I tryed hard to like the Carr Mercury but I never connected with it.To me it has no soul. I ended up buying a Rambler with has so much more personality My amp is used in the tv room late at night and sounds great! Good luck, if I were doing it again I might have bought the Swarts tone.

12. Blueser

Blueser Member

I tried a Greenback which was better than the Kingpin. I even liked it better than a Blue (which won't fit without the magnet cover removed). I thought the Blue made it more harsh. I was running a GEC KT66 in the amp, and I liked the production Groove Tube better, believe it or not. I thought the GEC was a bit too bright in the Merc.

13. bobeau

bobeau Member

What's this?

So far my searching is showing the Aiken Tomcat is a pretty good competitor for this amp, price/volume wise. I see one for sale in the forums for $1300, also a Merc on the bay for $1550 (upgraded green tolex which looks awesome IMO).

It's sorta like the Suhr vs. Grosh debate. Years ago on usenet (when I purchased a Grosh) it was like 3/4 people preferred the Suhr. Then I saw a huge thread over on this site where it seems the Grosh might be the fav. Picking straws based on subjectivity, where the collective is at at a given time, trends or whatnot.

So here it seems like most prefer the Tomcat. But there are a few staunch Merc people who've owned both.

I've heard the clips over at steelbenders, so I feel like I understand the Merc. That definitely gives it an edge over anything else like it, unless I can hear a wide plethora of clips putting the Aiken thru its paces. Also the verb is nice, the fact that it's like 20% lighter, and the aesthetic works well with a mid-century modern thing I'm gonna do with my loft. So it _does_ have alot going for it, at least on paper.

Anyway, just talking out loud.

14. bobeau

bobeau Member

Seems like you really put it through its paces. Yeah the blue does have an upper mids harshness, huh? Maybe my vintage bulldog will be a good fit, with the aged alnico.