To fuzz or not fuzz

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Sean413, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Sean413

Sean413 Member

I love the sound of my original color sound mk3 ( and a mk2 clone which is a silicon/germ hybrid) but I hate how some days it's sounds completely different. I've had a couple fuzz's do this to me. I love the violin type sustain I get from a good fuzz for leads that buzz saw tone, but can't stand the inconsistent sound, is there another pedal to try ? Rat? Skreddy hybrid driver? Scarab deluxe ? Somthing that will sound the same when I come back to it. Or is that the nature of the beast ? :horse

2. con brio

con brio Member

I'm not flash on my tonebender history/schematics but that sounds like a classic germanium fuzz problem (Temperature sensitivity drastically altering the performance of the fuzz). If it is you might Want to find a silicon fuzz (or possibly a germanium fuzz with an external bias like some of the analogman pedals)

3. la noise

la noise Supporting Member

If you like the Tonebender tone and vibe then you owe it to yourself
    to at least check out a Scarab Deluxe once in your lifetime. It's
    "Bender-like" and so much more. Very cool pedal.

The Skreddy is cool, too. Not as much personality and as "buzzsaw"
    as the Scarab Deluxe, in my experience. Still great, though. :aok

4. Nystuss

Nystuss Member

If you want a tone bender that you can get to sound right consistently, go for a Ramble FX Twin Bender. It has an external bias control designed to let you adjust for the temperature sensitivity of germanium. Basically, set the bias so it sounds right at the beginning of a show/session/practice, rinse and repeat with each major temperature change. It could be a pain, but the sound is fairly consistent.

5. Sean413

Sean413 Member

Thanks for the help guys hopefully I can find a top jack scarab deluxe to try