To M5 or not to M5??!! :D

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sick1982, Feb 6, 2012.

1. sick1982

sick1982 Member

Hi all,

Just sold a pedal for 250 euro! And the money must go!

There are a lot of effects I want, but either they sound 'meh' to me (= not very versatile) or are too expensive for risking my money on them.

And now I'm thinking, should I just buy a Line 6 M5 until I can make up my mind?

This is what I have/want:

I have the MXR Micro Flanger and really like it, but there's just not though variety with the two knobs. I really want to keep the jet-flange kinda thing and if possible have some more of that. But I don't want to stray too much away this classic sound.

I have the MXR Phase 90, and while it's a bit over the top, I like that fact too. I just wished I could make it more subtle on the fly but don't want to mod it. I could also use a different kind of flavor of this.

The EQ pedal I have is really crappy and would like something better to play with. But +100 euro is just too much for a "toy" like this; it's not that I need it all the time. I have a very good experience with the 3 band para EQ in POD Farm though.

I don't have a compressor and I don't want a noisy one, also don't want to spend +120 on this. The MXR Custom Comp is the first pedal that seems to do, but it's +120 for something I don't know I'm going to use too often or going to use at all.

I don't have a digital delay, but I have a carbon copy and an el capistan. I have the feeling I could use one, but then again, too much money!

Ok, I could go on like this :) Should I go with the M5? Basically for phase, flange, trem, vibe, comp, delay and eq?

Thanks!!

2. NHBluesMan

NHBluesMan Member

yes. Although, a used M9 might fit your needs better, if you ever wanted to use any of those effects at the same time

3. d3nzi0

d3nzi0 Member

Can you set up the M9 as if it is a chain of 3 pedals that you can turn on and off?

I too have the M5 already and I find it really useful when I play at church. I have a dedicated comp and acoustic simulator so I just the M5 for tuner and shimmer reverb or delay if required.

4. Lublin

Lublin Senior Member

I just M9'ed and am wondering why I waited so long! Love it!

5. sick1982

sick1982 Member

What's holding me of for the M9 is that there are quite some users reporting tone suck, and IIRC with the true bypass engaged. Also that the price is double and I do have some reverb pedals etc, it's just that all those pedals don't do everything I like them to do.

6. talanzdad

talanzdad Member

If you get anything Line6 don't get the 5... Get a 9 or larger... IMO

7. tjinca1

tjinca1 Member

Don't do it! I did it - was very dissapointed. I don't know why I keep trying Line 6 stuff. Disappoints me every single time! The Zoom G3 is much better IMHO.

8. johntoste

johntoste Member

I like the M5. It's a whole lot of rarely used effects in one place. The delays are very nice.

9. sick1982

sick1982 Member

Larger is a problem because then that's going the reason I don't use it. I'm mainly playing in my living room, and the more hassle is takes to get something out of the closet.. (my PT Jr is already too much hassle...).

The disappointment in Line 6 is keeping me back though. I don't have a problem with delay/modulation sounding digital. It's the amount of noise etc I'm afraid of. They have a habit of creating impedance issues.

Zoom really doesn't work for me though. Lot of people are very happy about it, but for me it always sounds like taking 4 steps backwards. I don't know what a G3 is, but I want something designed to be used in front of an amp, not something like a POD (which works great with headphones, but not in front of an amp imho).

10. stilwel

stilwel Member

There is no tone suck. It's got a relay-based true bypass.
    There are no impedance problems. Hi-Z input. Low-Z output.

They work great. You can't go wrong with the M5 or the M9...I have both!
    It just depends on what your needs are and how much space you have on your board.

Giddyup!

11. Godspeed64

Godspeed64 Member

I really love my M5. The reverbs are crazy good.

In your case though placement might be a problem since the phaser and compressor sounds better before dirt and the rest like flange, EQ and delay sound better after. You can't get the best of both worlds.

12. NHBluesMan

NHBluesMan Member

yes, that's part of why i recommend the 9 over the 5... plus the 9 has the looper function which is sweet

13. SG_Seth

SG_Seth Member

Same here. Amazing device, easy to use, incredibly flexible, tons of options and sounds great.

I unloaded a timeline and modfactor and picked up a used M9. Used the extra cash to fund a LP tribute gold top.

One of the best all around gear decisions I've ever made.

Only thing I would change would be to add the 4 cable method of the M13 so I can run certain mod effects pre dirt.

14. Frankenstrat86

Frankenstrat86 Supporting Member

Another recent M9 guy here too. I just ordered the mission engineering expression pedal for it and a fixed expression switch so I can really open this sucka up

15. standingzero

standingzero Member

Long time M9 user. My M9 has come in real handy on multiple occasions.

I do plan on getting the JHV3 upgrades one day : http://www.jhv3.com/m9-mods/

Pros:
    1. Enough useable effects for live and recording. Some are more convincing than others, but only a few are "bad" most are good or really good.
    2. Great for grab and go. I re-messed up my back on a Thursday night and was playing on Sunday so I just pulled the M9 from my board, grabbed my main OD and was absolutely fine!
    3. Even if you don't use the looper live, it's a great practice tool. Especially when you play lead and wonder how your riff will sound over the rhythm guitarist
    4. It's GREAT having multiple scenes on hand for specific songs or song types: I've got my standard rock scene, my ambient weird scene, etc.
    5. Your tap tempo can sync to all delays on the same scene which is REALLY convenient for switching mid song to 1/8 notes, 1/4 notes, etc.

Cons:
    1. DSP mode DOES have some tone loss. It's not world ending, but it's there. DSP mode is needed if you want "trails" on your effects. I keep my in true bypass mode so it's not an issue. Once I get the tone upgrades I'll go back to DSP
    2. The drives are just so- so. The Rat actually is usable, but the fuzzes don't do anything for me. If you got your own drives and boosts you're fine.
    3. No effects loop. Apparently it was too small to throw this in, FAIL. They should have removed one of the expression pedal inputs or something. This really bothers me because I want to put their octave / pitch shifting before my own stomp boxes, but keep the verbs and delays after my stomp boxes.

My $.02

16. sick1982

sick1982 Member

Thanks for all great input! No I'm even more puzzled whether I should go for the M5 or M9 :D

17. Lublin

Lublin Senior Member

Agreed that I do wish that the M9 had an effects loop, but whatever - can't have it all. I use the M9 primarily for time-based and modulation effects and run all of my dirt pedals before it.

18. NHBluesMan

NHBluesMan Member

this is the biggest negative for me... i prefer univibe, wah, and octave stuff pre-dirt, and reverbs and other modulation after dirt... if only the M9 had a loop, it'd be perfect

19. geodr

geodr Member

I went form a M9 to an M5 because I don't use more than one of the modulation or delay fx at once, and I wanted a more powerful looper - got a Boss RC2

20. SetFiretotheHive

SetFiretotheHive Member

I've had all the M line, love them all! m13 is way too big for me, m9 was amazing but just a bit too big so now i have settled on the m5 which i LOVE and it sits nicely among my other boutique pedals.

I wish they made an m7....2 effects in a small box.