To Mesa or Not

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ChrisMan, Jul 16, 2005.

1. ChrisMan

ChrisMan Guest

I have always lusted after Dual Rectifiers... does anyone have one and are they as good as everyone seems to proclaim? I have to play everything from Mustang Sally to Play that funky Music to Godsmack in my cover band... Right now I use a 5150 II and it gets the job done but I am always looking for something more to my tone. The 5150 II just is too crunchy for the clean stuff and not rude enough for the Heavy stuff... Is a mesa 3 channel amp the answer?

2. -kk-

-kk- Member

the 3 channel DRs are crazy versatile, esp with the channel modes. you can obviously get the high gain stuff from it, but dont overlook the other modes on that amp, Im a big fan of Chanel 1 pushed for thick blues lead (for example), and thats not something you normally associate with a DR.

hope this helps, good luck in your search.

3. peachead1071

peachead1071 Member

I LOVE every single one of my boogies. They sound fantastic, and hold up to all kinds of abuse.

4. Brion

Brion Supporting Member

I used to use a DR for the same thing you're doing. It worked pretty well for me with a few pedals mainly delay chorus and reverb. Mine was one of the first runs with 2 channels. I prefered the orange channel to the red one most of the time. Only problem was is that the orange one had the clean tone so I had to reach behind the amp and switch it before a tune where I needed a clean tone and switch it back for the next tune. I've never played the 3 channel one so I cannot comment about it's usefulness.

5. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

IMO the Dual Rectifier is still the modern amp by which all others are judged... and mostly found wanting.

It's far more versatile than its nu-metal association implies. You don't have to dime the gain and zero the mids if you don't want to, although it's the definitive amp for doing that if you do.

It's also not that expensive in relation to its build quality and features.

I honestly think that if people would really try one properly, and listen to what it can do, some of the current must-have amps around here would seem less remarkable.

Just my opinion.

6. rbone100

rbone100 Member

Do you play in Animal House with me?? (LOL!) Just kidding... The DR will get you where you want to be. I used to use a DR Tremoverb and a Rectoverb combo in my coverband. The clean channel is great depending on what pickup you are using in your guitar (Middle position) and the distortion channel smokes the 5150 IMHO.

7. UconnJack

UconnJack Member

My band covers alot of the same type of stuff. I thought about the DR and the Stiletto, but couldn't find either one to demo. Ended up going with a Genz Benz ElDiablo 100 Head. Extremely versitle and less expensive, but I still wonder if the DR would have been a better choice.

8. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

Refreshing to hear all of the informed opinions...I kind of figured the DR series were forever banished to nu-metal oblivion. Seriously, these amps are so underappreciated--mostly because of 16 year olds in music stores--that they are almost a steal on the used market. Extremely versatile and well thought out, these amps can cover just about any ground. Spend a little time getting to know its sweet spots and you will be generously rewarded.

And I've never owned one or worked for Mesa--just have played out of quite a few and know how a well-dialed in one can sound.

9. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Silver Supporting Member

Sounds like the Dual Recto would probably be right up your alley. Definitely the amp to go to for Godsmack tones. Also they are plenty versatile if you spend the time to tweak the knobs. Try one!

10. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

Mesa's Trem-O-Verb has always sounded great for getting that high gain sound with some added versatility.

I too have been considering a high gain head, and the Mesa Trem is part of that list.

11. sws1

sws1 Member

I love my Stilletto. Gets lots of great tones (unfortunately not at the same time.) I wish they had a 6 channel version, or a MIDI controllable version.

However, it won't do Godsmack. Tons of gain, but not the Recto sound. Then again, a Recto won't get you AC/DC, Queen, Warren Haynes, 80s rock.

12. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

Hey Ralphie, how you feeling man? I hope everything is okay, I was at Harrah's with "your" band and Trump Plaza tomorrow night. I think I want to play with your band instead of my own!

Anyway, all the advice here is dead on, I too play everything from Funky to Godsmack, used this amp for a couple of months, liked the orange channel, etc.

In the end, my Rivera Knucklehead reverb DOES have a better clean channel than a Rec IMO, and the midi footswitch capabilities can't be beat, so that's where I am now.

13. rbone100

rbone100 Member

Baba:

I feel much better today and hoping to go back to work tomorrow. I was pretty scared I wasn't getting better so I went into the hospital on Friday. Everything looks good now!

Ralphie

14. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 Gold Supporting Member

I had one, great for high gain, and the clean wasn't bad. Actually a good amp, and you know it's made well. Plus it's got 3 channels. The modes also make it versatile, and like others have said, you don't have to zero the mids. I like some mids in, IMO it makes it more aggressive and actually has a bite, where scooped mids are more of a growl, with no actual damage.

15. StrykeBack

StrykeBack Guest

Glad to hear some people on here actually like mesas. I was associating much of the gearpage forum as tonal snobs :D

I have a rectoverb series 2 head. I love it. took it to jam wiht some friends the other night for the first time (even though i've been playing only half a year and their used to my keyboard skills)

I was expecting the cleans to suck on this amp and for the non reverb models i would assume so because when someone had played with mine and clicked the reverb off i noticed it right away, just adds a thick 3d effect to it that makes it really stand out.

I normally play with the mids almost dimed or between 1 and 3...seems to be a style to shut off the treble completely and dime the mids gets you a nice woody sound.

I use a time machine boost with mine and on the clean channel can get pretty close to the Edge's delay chime tones :dude

Just discovered the push channel with the gain up pretty high gets an awesome marshallesqe distortion tone. never had much use for the raw channel.

16. Trevor Bond

Trevor Bond Guest

I absolutlely love my 3ch Solo... it's a bit finicky and the tone controls really play on one another... but when it's right...

but, I wouldn't want it as my only amp.

~trev~

17. mangley

mangley Member

I have a dual rec and mk iv short head -- they both sound great. I find to get the best overdriven tones from each, I have to hit the front end with a clean boost. I use a Time Machine Boost set at 1:00 for this (using humbuckers).

I think those who find the dual rec lacking have not tried to boost their input signal. With this extra front end boost, the dual rec sounds almost alive.

I use a pair of mesa thiele 1x12's with the mk iv and a 4x12 rectifier cab with the dual rec.

I recently sold my triaxis, rec pre and 2:100 power amp. They sounded great, but the heads sound better to me using the same speakers. I get more low end grunt from the heads, and I like the sound of the tube rectifiers in the dual rec which I could not get with the 2:100 amp.

18. StrykeBack

StrykeBack Guest

ahh cool another time machine boost user with his recto. I have mainly had mine set the clean boost maxed. I found that it gave me an amazing amount of play with the volume pots...almost an extra 2 or 3 channels if you will. However the great setting that maxed gave me on clean totally ruined the high gain channel with too much squeal and noise. I think i'l try this 1 oclcok setting of yours.

By the way, while we are at it with finding a few recto fans on here: How about posting some of your favorite recto settings. :)

Which do you prefer for which sounds? i imagine the marks cleans sound better or atleast i've heard as well as a lead channel. I originally started out looking for a mark iv but couldn't find one for a decent price and went with the rectoverb. never got to try either but i knew all the music that was associated with each one...perhaps i'l find a great deal on a mark iv later on in life.

19. mangley

mangley Member

Well, they are very different amps. I like them both for different reasons. I generally rotate between the amps when I get bored with one or the other. While they are different sounding, I find I can get the tones I need out of either. I further vary the flexibility by changing cabs, e.g., 1x12 or 4x12. I use a Dr. Z airbrake to push the amps w/o going deaf(er).

I think that the built in graphic on the mk4 is one of the reasons this amp sounds as good as it does. IMOP it does not sound good with the EQ flat. Many amps improve with a post pre EQ in the loop.

I use an MXR 10 band eq in front of the dual rec for cleans which makes the clean channel sound great; it sounds too flat without it.

I use the Mk4 when playing out because it is more portable.

Regarding the TMB, with my guitars, I think the tone loses articulation if I push the level much past 1:00. For me, this seems to be the sweet spot.

20. trisonic

trisonic Member

Never underestimate Mesa Engineering.
    They're not completely stupid (!), they build well, cover a lot of bases and have excellant aftersales service. I've had a Boogie for way over ten years, been all over the place and never let me down. Oh, yeah, it sounds good to me too......

Best, Pete.