To Midi or not to Midi...That is the question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by CaseyI, Feb 25, 2008.

1. CaseyI

CaseyI Member

so, I am thinking of going to a midi switching system for my rig. I just ordered a Damage control Glass nexus from a fellow TGP member and it got me thinking. I have 2 DD20's on my board which I could replace with the DC Timeline giving me midi for mod/reverb and delay. I think I would use a Rockton Midimate for a controller at this point. Then of course I was thinking an axess grx4 could control my dirt. The downsides are that my 2 overdrives (see sig) are 2 button pedals, so there would still be a little tap dancing. The benefits for midi for me is that I sing a play lead at the same time. I play at church so those loud clicks caused by pedals can be rather annoying at times. So, I am a Midiot... is it worth the hassle? I have thought about just using it for the mod/verb/delay to get the hang of it. Will this hinder creativity or expand it? Your thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

2. reo73

reo73 Member

I run a midi board and rack system. I use a DMC Ground Control Pro that switches a GXR4, a Rocktron Xpression, and the channel on my amp. I have 8 CC buttons and 4 program changes per bank at my feet at all times. I love it and all you really need is a good weekend for programming then you're set.

3. williamh

williamh Supporting Member

I had the damage control timeline for a while(imo the best sounding delay available). Sold it because I downsized to a pedaltrain jr. I ran the timeline with a tech21 midimouse. It worked really well as far as just setting up presets went, and it was really easy to program them in. If I was still running a big board, I wouldn't have any other delay.

4. Passenger84

Passenger84 Member

The midi definitely makes it easier...and in my opinion, it's worth the hassle for the DC pedals. Just gives them huge flexibility. I've been using the Timeline with a midi mouse and I can literally program in my set (tempos included) for church each week. I also sing and play, and being able to do this has literally cut my tap-dancing by about 60 percent. However, I have a Rocktron midi mate in the mail to hopefully cut tap dancing out even further.

As a side note, I agree with williamh; the Timeline, at least to my humble ears, is one incredible sounding pedal. I've played through the Eventide Timefactor, DD20, Line 6's Echo Park & DL4, and the T-Rex Replica. And the Timeline...wow, that was just it for me. The downsides are that it is a humungous pedal and it does take getting used to as far as the interface, but the sound is spectacular. IMHO :)

5. CaseyI

CaseyI Member

Well, the Glass Nexus has arrived. I like it a lot. I just ordered the midi mate and am getting ready to get the Timline. I think I have decided to leave the dirt out of midi though. I like having access to it all the time. Who knows though, maybe when I have an idea of what I am doing I'll change my mind. Anybody got a Timeline for sale?