To mix or not to mix (G12H30's and G12T75's)...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Red_Label, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Red_Label

Red_Label Supporting Member

Hi all. Need some advice from someone who's maybe BTDT. I'm contemplating removing the 15 Ohm Celestion Rolla G12H30's my old Sunn 4X12 cab and mixing them in with my two Marshall JCM900 1960A and B cabs (loaded with 16 Ohm G1275T's of course). I'm thinking that maybe this will take the bright, brittle edge off of those cabs and smooth them out a bit. I've heard of this being done with Vintage 30 loaded cabs a lot, but I don't recall anyone mentioning mixing the H30's with the 75T's.

Background for those interested:

I've been playing in my current classic rock/country band for 10 years. I've been through many SS, modeling, and tube heads and combos over the years. For the past year I've been using a Traynor YCS100 100 watt tube head (EL34) into a 1960A cab. I'm as happy as I've ever been with my sound, though the H&K Triamp I used to run into my Sunn 4X12 wIas pretty good too. I need 100 watt heads for the clean headroom. We rarely mic my rig (unless at some outdoor gigs), so it's crucial that I get that amount of headroom for the country stuff.

Anyways... I wired my 1960A with 12 gauge wire when I got it last year(I was told that would smooth it out -- dunno if it makes a difference or not). This cab has been working for my gig pretty well. I get the bright cleans and gritty classic Marshall grind well enough. So last night I won an auction for a 1960B cab (will likely run then side-by-side instead of stacked. I plan to wire it up 12 gauge like my A cab. But I'm torn between leaving the speakers stock, or mixing them with the H30's to maybe smooth it out and take a hair of the brightness off the highs. Thus, my quandry.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to give some background in case it has any sway on your advice. Thanks for taking the time to read and ponder... :)

2. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Im always up for a sonic experiment. I say break out the Makita and give it a whirl! At worst you've lost a bit of your time since theres no money involved. :)Bob

3. Red_Label

I agree Bob. I think that even if I don't get any feedback from someone who's tried this combination of speakers before, my curiosity will get the best of me and I'll try it anyways. I'll probably do something smart for a change and mike up the 1960A and B cabs before the switch and record some stuff. Then do the switch and use the same mic placement and record the new config as well. I don't trust my memory well enough to make the judgement without A and B sound clips to compare.

4. Ironman

Ironman Member

I've done a lot of speaker swapping over the years, mainly 4x12 cabs. What I find is that mixing speakers will change the tone but it won't mask things you're trying to get rid of. For that reason, I like to find the perfect speaker to match the cab, amp, guitar, ect...and not mix.

You're not going to notice a difference with the wiring. What might help in addition to experimenting with speakers is changing to a heavey grill cloth, i.e. basketweave. That'll attenuate a smidge off the highs. Beam blocker's help diffuse the sound more which your ears may perceive as being less bright.

If you want the most toneful organic sweet tone from a cab get an all birch ply cab. I've got a 1960av and a Mojo slant, worlds different in tone with the same speakers. The Marshall cab is harder/harsher sounding than the Mojo. The Marshall has a particle board back and the Mojo is all birch ply. The Marshall 1960HW is a wonderfull sounding cab if you want the best from Marshall. Just telling you this incase after exhaustive efforts to get your tone with speaker swaps and not getting your desired results....it's time to look at different cabs.

It's fun experimenting, that's really the only way. Good luck!

5. Kapo_Polenton

Kapo_Polenton Member

The guys over at the Splawn forum do this combo a lot. The clips I have heard have impressed me. I like g12t-75's.

6. Red_Label

Good points Ironman. I doubted that the gauge of speaker wire would really make a difference. I think I'll go ahead and do it with the new cab anyways, as I like the thought of it being heavier. And it's not that I don't like the tone I get with my G1275's. I'm just curious if I'd like the mix a little better. Always chasing that ever-so-slight improvement in tone. ;-)

Thanks for the ino Kapo. I will definitely try it and see if I think it makes any difference with my rig. Always gotta be fiddling with my stuff...

7. Red_Label

***Update***

I went ahead and swapped some speakers around yesterday on the one 1960A that I have (versus waiting until I also have the 1960B). So it's half and half G1230 and G1275 in an "X" pattern.

I recorded some sound samples with my digital camera outside the room. I should have mic'd the room and recorded to hard disk, but didn't want to get bogged-down in all of that. Anyways... at first it was hard to hear the difference between the samples playing similar material. But the more that I listen, the more I think that the cab has a slightly more "organic, grainy, mid-rangy honk" with the addition of the H30's than when it was straight 75's. There doesn't seem to be a huge, noticeable difference at all. I spent most of the time playing classic rock & metal type stuff ala Brother Cain. I really should have spent time playing crystal clean country rythem and leads as well, as that's what these cabs will be doing for half the night live. I'd be willing to be that the 75's say cleaner and brighter in that realm. And considering that, I'll likely switch the speakers back and go with all 75's in the cabs since the difference wasn't noticeable with the rock stuff. I dunno though yet...

Also, while in the cabs I screwed the speakers in as tight as I could turn the screw in hopes of welding those speakers to the plywood and avoiding any buzzes or loose speaker sounds. I did think that I noticed an ever so slight "warping" of the metal speaker frame where the screws go into the wood. Hopefully I haven't caused myself any grief there. But the sound seems fine, so I think I'm okay. :eek: