• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

To model or not to model that is the question..

MONSTER ZERO

As per usual I'm on the hunt again for an amp. My honeymoon with amp modeling I think is coming to a close.

I'm frustrated and bored with my Mustang IV now and decided to plug into my cheapo backup rig which is a Red Stripe Bandit and a Bad Monkey pedal and it man did it sound and feel so much better.

So I'm wondering if it's a non modeling vs. modeling thing? I seem to almost always go back and forth.

If I wasn't officially gassing I think I'd be happy stayin with the Bandit and adding a delay pedal to go along with the Bad Monkey or one of my other OD pedals. Maybe even building another pedal board.

There is a local guy selling a Ultra 60 combo but I'm waiting for his price to come down. Love those amps but I cant see paying 300 for one.

Suppose I could buy a new DSL 40 or maybe a Blackstar.. LOL I dunno.

Just typing out my thoughts/ Havent been here for a bit.

randombastage

Silver Supporting Member
I feel your pain I am addicted to modelers but always have a few amps on hand for moments like the one you are experiencing.

If you are close to 29577 I'll sell you an almost new DSL40C for $400

MONSTER ZERO

I feel your pain I am addicted to modelers but always have a few amps on hand for moments like the one you are experiencing.

If you are close to 29577 I'll sell you an almost new DSL40C for $400
I'm quite a ways from there. One other thing I noticed with my Mustang IV amp is when I go direct into the board (TM16) the recording comes out with no modeling. Like plugging a analog distortion pedal directly into the desk. Sounds ok out front but the direct recording is horrible.

The Funk

Honestly, I would take a bandit over pretty much any modeler for live playing. And I would DEFINITELY take an Ultra over any modeler.

Modelers are good for recording, and for quiet practicing, but once you get on stage, you can really tell the difference. Maybe the higher priced ones like the Kemper sound better, but I've never liked how modelers come across on stage.

$300 is not a bad price for an Ultra. 3 channel tube amp with 6l6's and built pretty damn well. Good effects loop, good reverb. Crunch channel rules on that amp, especially through a 4x12. I sold mine for $350 (I used that to buy a DMMTT1100, and the ultra was my backup amp).

Trending Topics