To Outboard or to Not Outboard?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Teal_66, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Teal_66

Teal_66 Member

I am at a place where it is well known that everything can now be mixed "in the box", and there are plug-ins for everything - that are excellent.

However, being a computer guy all of my life, I know that all things digital always expire and go out of date, or are updated, or the software company stops supporting a new Operating System, etc.

This would never happen with outboard gear, but MAN is it expensive! I recently listened to a Joe Carrell interview, and he does everything mostly in the DAW.

I am really torn on which way to proceed (thinking ahead into the future). Granted, it's really awesome to have all of the settings come up in a session exactly as they were, but it is also nice knowing that the outboard gear will always be there, and will work no matter what the OS is.

I'm interested to see how people feel about this.

2. loudboy

loudboy Member

You can always render the tracks w/the plug-ins...

3. 78deluxe

78deluxe Member

What kind of outboard gear are you looking for?

What DAW do you use?

I would not recommend spending thousands on Plugins. But if you are "smart" about it, some DAWs + searching for free/cheap plugins will give you an absurd amount of plugins for under $500 total.

Sonar X3 for $330+ get other free plugins = stupid amount of goodies.

As for the upgrade problem. Assuming they stay in business 8 years down the road when the operating system isn't supported, you can upgrade for ~$150 most likely.

Historically when you buy the full version, you can upgrade to the latest at a more reasonable cost.

4. Rex Anderson

Rex Anderson Member

A few choice pieces of analog outboard gear can be a great thing, however at some point they will need maintenance which will be expensive. Some classic pieces are boat anchors because you can't get parts. Even the big guns EQ's, compressors and limiters have been modeled into good sounding plug-ins. With plug ins, you get to use them on many channels. With analog, it's a one shot deal.

Current plug ins are excellent and will always work with your current system. Why buy into the upgrade path? If what you have works, don't keep upgrading systems every time they become available just because it is possible. Only the top studios that make big bucks need to have the latest and greatest to impress clients.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015