To plek or not to plek?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by nickthenail, Aug 11, 2019 at 5:02 PM.

1. 71strat

71strat Member

Joe Glaser says on his Video speaking of the Plek, that YOUR GUITARS play as good as any, but you and he just have different ways about doing things.

Joe just says the PLEK, can perform more consistently than He can. Which IMHO is a big statement, and admission.

NO, he charges $225 for a Compound Radius 10.1-11.9 n a 7.25 radius board. Then he puts relief in the Bass Side to compensate for ham fists like mine. And yes, its up to the Luthier to finish the ends ect.

Dan wanted $420 vs $225 from Glaser, and that was 3 years ago. A normal level/crown ect, nut cut is $160

Dan wants $700-$800 to reset/plain the neck, refret, an set up ect vs my 74 Mossman Great Plains acoustic

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 8:22 AM
  2. DRS

DRS Member

Absolutley
    Now we just need to clone 2 dozen copies of John and send them to every population centre in North America.

3. Danzego

Danzego Member

I’m making a day of it next week and taking the ride up to Mike from the Portland area (3.5 hours each way) to get a guitar done, so that’s encouraging. How much did you generally pay for your guitars to get done? Mike only lists an estimate on his site (understandable) that’s higher than most people state they pay for Plek jobs. Just wondering. :)

4. Danzego

Danzego Member

I would be surprised if they do. I bought an American Professional Telecaster back in March or April and I played a whole lot of Teles during that time. The fretwork was all over the place. Not utterly terrible or anything, but more dead notes than I would anticipate from a line of Pleked guitars at the default string height Fender sends them out of the factory at. In fact, I plan on getting my Professional Pleked or at least leveled by my local guy so I can drop the action on the treble side lower than 4/64”.

tochiro likes this.
  5. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

Ouch! I need to raise my re fret prices!
    I’m way cheaper than both of them.

I didn’t catch in that video that we have a different way of doing things but I did ask them for more fall away, I prefer really straight necks and equal action across the neck so he did some tweaking for my machine.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 11:32 AM
    71strat likes this.
  6. Husky

I worked at Rudys for too many years

stratzrus and patshep like this.
  7. Husky

Well if Pablo works for Sadowsky now I’m sure he is awesome.

stratzrus likes this.
  8. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

Are all you folks that are taking your guitars in for a plek doing so to fix specific problems like a refret or level and crown due to wear? Or is it more of a make it the best it can be?

I am not sure I am hearing a real customer cost quality benefit for plek. I have actually had one bad level and crown in many years of maintenance. Had to take that one to a second person for the fix (way before plek BTW). Other than that one situation, I have always gotten fret work that does the job. All work I have had done that could be translated to plek work happened to fix issues due to wear. I never felt the need to have a plek touch up afterwards. I could always set the action lower than I wanted and raising it doesn't create issues. Once again, other that reducing hands on labor time for the shop/tech and paying for the machine investment, am I basically paying for better consistency?

hunter

9. 71strat

71strat Member

I had a Partscaster assembled ect at Glasers, and also had him check all the frets ect, and get it to play as best as it can. With fairly low action. Also the PLEK is less important if you use higher action.
    The neck I use was made by Tommy at USACG, and I supplied the wood. Torrified flame maple core x African Blackwood board. Its got a 12 radius, so I didn't have Joe do the Compound radius. I also believe Tommy used fall away on all his necks.

I then had a 59 Burst copy made, and had the people to send it to Glaser for fine tuning.

My 71 4 bolt Strat, and 82 x 62 Fullerton Reissue both had a compound radius, 10.1-11.9 and relief on bass side done.

Erlewine is married to Mossmans sister, and almost worked for him early on, but went to another job. Erlewine knows a whole lot about Mossmans.

10. Danzego

Danzego Member

For me, I’m going to take in my LP 50s Standard that I got a couple of months ago. With the action at my preferred 3/64” treble and 4/64” bass, I’m getting some buzz on the high E. Not an awful amount, but I’m also noticing that on the high E, I don’t get the sustain I get from my 2019 LP Traditional on notes beyond the 12th fret. I’m a slow bender type of guy. It’s like I hit the note and bend, then the volume of the string drops off quicker than I’m used to. I tend to wonder if that buzzing and the quicker than I would like drop off are related.

The frets on the 2019 and new model Gibsons are already pretty low as it is, so I’d like the least amount I can have taken off during a fret level. I figure my usual guy already charges 165-170 for a fret job, so I’m willing to throw another 100 or so on top of that to get it down to the microscopic level. I guess it’s more of a “take as little as possible off” and peace of mind thing, knowing for sure the frets are as even as possible.

11. SJF

SJF Supporting Member Vendor

It depends on the job. He just runs mine on the Plek machine , then I go back and do all the hand work, fret ends, polish and such myself. So for yours it will be different pricing.

Danzego likes this.
  12. Danzego

Danzego Member

Ah, ok. Yeah, there’s no way I’m messing with all of that. I’ll do basic setup stuff, but nut and fret work is where I draw the line. :hide2

13. Gurn

Gurn Member

14. lavinci

lavinci Supporting Member

I have two guitars that have been plek-ked... they are fretless wonders...
    I don't think you need to have a guitar plek-ked if you find the playability good. I only plek-led guitars that I was restoring that had bad action.... now they play well.

nickthenail likes this.
  15. Mr Fingers

Mr Fingers Member

Competent repair people who can hand-do a great fret job are impossible to find for most people. Hacks or mediocre techs are somewhat more abundant, but not much. I'm not going to dispute the quality of a job done for an individual player by a skilled tech, because I can do such work pretty well myself. I haven't played enough PLEK'd guitars to make a blanket statement, but the two I have owned were beautifully done and played wonderfully. As in anything, the operator can affect the product, even with PLEK, but I am pretty sure that a normal PLEK job clobbers a typical (not expert; there are hardly any experts) fret job any day.

eoengineer likes this.
  16. dukeh62

dukeh62 Supporting Member

Same experience here. I've had equally superior fret work/leveling done by a Plek and a really skilled local luthier. Phil did my Plek work, but I will never send another guitar to him. Had enough of his selective communication, I don't care how good his work is.

17. galibier_un

galibier_un Supporting Member

True about the abundance of hacks, but it's a bit of a straw man argument in favor of a Plek job, especially when there are only some two dozen shops in North America and the wait time plus shipping risk gets factored into the equation (http://www.plek.com/en_US/kontakt/get-pleked/usa/).

Forums like this help us to weed out the incompetents. I'm not arguing against Plek in the least, but rather for a balanced approach, and most definitely for a competent luthier irrespective of tool choice.

... Thom

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019 at 12:19 AM
  18. gunslinger

gunslinger Member

A well made guitar shouldn't need a plek job.

19. patshep

patshep Supporting Member

very cool, back in the 90s i used to take stuff to rudy's, they did great work too
    and rudy seemed super cool every time i talked to him

20. lavinci

lavinci Supporting Member

yes Phil Jacoby did my PLEK work for me on the two guitars I referenced above. Only one HUGE down side with working with Phil Jacoby. The wait time was several MONTHS long... During this time he was responsive to my phone calls but was somewhat misleading about the ETA to finish the work, which annoyed me. The work was stellar in the end. I am not sure how backed up he is these days.