To Recone Original P10rs or Not

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by buickwilson, Jan 2, 2008.

1. buickwilson

buickwilson Member

I have 3 P10R's from 1958/1959 with original cones in my 59 Bandmaster. They aren't blown (ohm out around 6 ohms). No cone rub. No tears, but they sound more fuzzy then I would expect. I have a 4th P10R 1959 that is a recone and it sounds tons better. I tried these in a couple different amps and they are pretty dirty at mid level volume (ie, medium to loud bedroom levels). I tried them at a gig at they just seemed to crap out trying to get loud enough to be heard over the drummer.

I'm wondering if old speaker can go bad, but not be an obvious blown speaker.

Also wondering, if you were in my shoes would get them reconed, or leave them as is for the next guy who might prefer original cones, even if they sound sub-par.

2. Bonenut

Bonenut Member

I'd put some new webers in it and save the original speakers for the originality if you ever decide to sell the amp. I can't see any scenario where I'd recone an old speaker that looks ok seems to be working.

3. chaz

chaz Member

If they ain't broke don't 'fix' them. Save them or sell them to somebody for recording work where they don't get stressed out. Worth a few $$'s!

4. jetlag

jetlag Member

I was in your exact shoes when I bought a '58 bandmaster. I reconed them and never looked back. My thoughts were I bought the amp to play and that, by the time I would ever sell the amp, it would appreciate so much that I'd still make a killing. I mean, if you have 3 reconed P10Rs that you can slap in there, then yeah, save 'em. I didn't have much luck with webers sounding like old jensens, but I haven't tried Ted's new P10Rs with paper voice coils and the big pre-breakin. They might be a good option. Also, you might be able to repair your speakers to where they don't fuzz (at least for a little while). If there are cracks in the outter surround, those can be repaired with glue and/or tissue.

5. thorny64

thorny64 Supporting Member

If you do have them reconed, ted weber will do an excellent job and they will sound right. Both answers are good. If you want to keep it original box them up (I have done exactly this with my 66 super reverb - it had oxfords and I didn't care for them so boxed them and put in webers). But if the speakers don't sound good any longer and you don't mind the hit from the vintage market, recone them from someone reputable like weber. They will sound excellent and cost you a LOT less. But you will take a hit when you resell it if you want top dollar - how much is hard to say.

6. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

If it were me, I would box the P10R's and get three Eminence 102KA's. These are 35 watt alnico speakers which have a 1" voice coil and kapton former. To me they have a sound between a P10R and P10Q. They aren't all that expensive either.