to refin or not

cugel

Silver Supporting Member
what is you opinion on refinishing a vintage guitar that has ALREADY been refin'd. i have a 59 special with a pretty crappy refin that is nowhere near tv yellow, more of a fender yellow w/o see-thru. i wanna sell this thing and i think this crappy refin will hurt the value. would you invest in a high quality refinish from a good shop? or am i just polishing a turd so to speak since its already been molested. what is the consensus here from those with vintage experience?

cugel

Silver Supporting Member
thanks for the input. i guess its time to start looking for a trusted shop. any suggestions. prariewood seems promising. i can post some pics later but i want to make sure you all have breakfast first...its not bad. but it aint a gibson color but you are right to think will i get back what i am putting into it. since its not a museum piece a buyer may not care.

Amp360

If you're planning on reselling you have to look at will the cost of doing a refin bring you anymore profit from the guitar vs selling as is.

If the refund costs you $1.00 and you get $1.00 more for the guitar, it's not worth doing IMHO. If it will bring you $5.00 more, it may be.

If you're planning to keep it I would do it. TV Yellow is simple to do, so it should not be a big deal.

Gasp100

Gold Supporting Member
If it's a "wash" (meaning $250 for a good refin) and the upgrade will net you $250 more in cash) I would do it. If it comes out great you might just want to keep it. If you still wish to flip the guitar you might bring in that many more prospective buyers with the new look and having taken on the burden or going forward with the refin (and actually caring about the guitar). My 2 cents.

Dana Olsen

Platinum Supporting Member
I'll say this much.

It takes the better part of a year before a new nitro finish "normalizes", and the guitar will sound a little off until the finish hardens up and cures the way it's supposed to.

A friend had a wonderful sounding 80's parts Strat with some really cool parts - like an original '54 Strat bridge - that sounded fantastic, but he wanted to have it refinished in nitro. Lay's did the job, and the refin looked great, but ...

The guitar had lost all it's "sparkle" in it's tone - the high end, AND low end were very muted. The good news is that the sparkle all came back, but it took between 6 months and a year before it sounded "right" again.

A nicely refinished vintage piece can be really cool - go for it.

Dana O.

TV Yellow is simple to do, so it should not be a big deal.
If TV Yellow is so simple, why aren't there any good TV Yellow guitars?

I mean, you'll see variations on people's ideas of TV Yellow, and maybe all my old examples had weathered to the point they didn't resemble any of the representations of TV Yellow I've seen on new guitars over the years.

My Special was refinished around 20 years ago- I wouldn't say it's a great 1959 TV finish, but it's better than many many other examples in guitar shops over the past 15 years.

Fred Buzz

I'll say this much.

It takes the better part of a year before a new nitro finish "normalizes", and the guitar will sound a little off until the finish hardens up and cures the way it's supposed to.

A friend had a wonderful sounding 80's parts Strat with some really cool parts - like an original '54 Strat bridge - that sounded fantastic, but he wanted to have it refinished in nitro. Lay's did the job, and the refin looked great, but ...

The guitar had lost all it's "sparkle" in it's tone - the high end, AND low end were very muted. The good news is that the sparkle all came back, but it took between 6 months and a year before it sounded "right" again.

A nicely refinished vintage piece can be really cool - go for it.

Dana O.
Quite a contradiction: “will sound a little off’’ and a few lines further: “had lost all it's "sparkle" in it's tone - the high end, AND low end were very muted” That’s a bit more than a little off isn’t it? I don’t think many people can hear the difference anyway.

I do respect your opinion and experience, but how do you know the refinish was the problem, obviously that guitar was disassembled and after the refinish put back together again. Maybe the guitar and the neck had to settle before it got its original tone back again? New strings, different set-up, many factors determine the sound of a guitar, even using another guitar pick, or the way you hit the strings gives a different sound.

But I agree with your last remark, go for it, and perhaps you don't even want to sell it anymore.

Last edited:

pauly-ray

I have seen a couple TV refin jobs RS Guitarworks has done and they do a really nice job on TV yellow IMHO. Might be worth looking into.

cugel

Silver Supporting Member
thanks for the input
mucho appreciation from my end
i am sure RS can do a wonderful job but they would want a wonderful price to. i can see what i can get for it. the 2010 bb says an excellent 59 special in yellow is ~15k
so i will ask 14k
just kidding.
i would love to be in the 5k range but who knows in this market
pm me if aware of interested parties. i would hate to deal with ebay with this sort of thing since it would be nice to have a real repoir with a buyer when dealing with this sort of thing

cheers

MartinPiana

Silver Supporting Member
cugel - you're in san diego? if you go for a nitro refin, you might start by giving scott lentz a ring. he does occasional vintage refins. did my '60 strat a few years ago. took a while, but great job.

retrobob

what is you opinion on refinishing a vintage guitar that has ALREADY been refin'd. i have a 59 special with a pretty crappy refin that is nowhere near tv yellow, more of a fender yellow w/o see-thru. i wanna sell this thing and i think this crappy refin will hurt the value. would you invest in a high quality refinish from a good shop? or am i just polishing a turd so to speak since its already been molested. what is the consensus here from those with vintage experience?
If it doesn't have a see thru finish, it could be hiding some issues.
You won't know until you strip the finish.
TV yellow is a see through finish and will show any obvious repairs.

Trending Topics