To replace Katana or not?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Doomrider78, May 31, 2020.

1. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

I've started using pedals for my gain and effects needs and, as a result, I cant help feeling my Katana Artist, with its huge depth of sounds and menus for configuration options, is a bit superfluous to requirement, other than serving as a pedal platform. I'm tempted to go for more simplicity.

I dont have a huge amount of experience with amps - Ive only ever had a Katana Artist and a Marshall DSL40CR, which is my band amp and would, in normal circumstances, live at the jam space - so I'm curious as to whether the Katana remains the best option for home practice and general playing.

I live in an apartment, so Im guessing a tube amp is out, unless it does low volume (again, with pedals proving gain): The question is: is it worth getting something else, or does the Katana remain my best option?

Alternatives? I've been curious about the Fender Tone Masters, but never played one. What else is worth trying? Unless there's a very good case for it, SS is the preferred option.

If the answer is "stick with the Katana", then I'm fine with that.

Ps: I forgot I also had an Orange 35RT, but thought it sounded terrible at low volume, even with pedals.

Simon likes this.
  2. 8len8

8len8 Supporting Member

I use a DSL40 in the band, and a Fender Custom Deluxe Reverb at home. The CDR is set clean with pedals for gain. The CDR has a different tone than a clean Marshall so it’s a nice alternative and great pedal platform.

3. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

Does the CDR do low volume?

4. 8len8

8len8 Supporting Member

If you run it clean it can do low volume, but everyone’s “low” is different.

5. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

Apartment low :oops::D

6. TL;DR

TL;DR Member

The katana is a really good quiet amp. If you can live without the “magic electrons” and “feel” of a tube amp, keep using the katana as a pedal platform. Lotsa guys have used JC series amps as pedal platforms. They’re fine for that

Bobbyoso and Jim234 like this.
  7. 8len8

8len8 Supporting Member

With the CDR volume at 1/2 it's about TV level. Fender makes other lower wattage amps that would be quieter at a higher volume knob setting. I still recommend a Fender in general. I'm a lifelong Marshall user who didn't believe in pedal gain, but an OD or distortion pedal (OCD or SHOD) through a clean Fender is a nice alternative to that famous Marshall tone.

8. MkIII Renegade

MkIII Renegade Member

Hiding from Murder Hornets in Atlanta, GA
    Ask yourself how often you really think you'll be playing at very high volume in the next few years, and also how many effects you actually use often. If your main things are recording and low volume jams, you've got a good platform...

Bobbyoso and TL;DR like this.
  9. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

This is nothing to do with high volume playing, it's purely for home practice and playing. As I said, i have my Marshall for when I need to crank it up, so your last sentence applies.

10. Jim234

Jim234 Member

Strangely enough I use my Kat for just that pretty much home playing... yep ok I take to rehearsals as well but we are pretty quiet. I find the kat so convenient for this type of use...

Peppy and Doomrider78 like this.
  11. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

It may well be the best solution for what I need at the moment, although I hope amps like the Tone Master become more prevalent, and made by more manufacturers as ultimately I just need 1 amp type and only a couple of effects pedals. How about it, Marshall et al? :D

Jim234 likes this.
  12. Peppy

Peppy Member

The Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb can attenuate down to apartment levels. The Tonemaster Twin Reverb a bit less so. I don't live in an apartment but my neighbors are close. When I want natural amp distortion...no pedals...I run my Katana 50 on the .5 watt setting. For the most part I rarely use my Pro Junior IV. Past 2.5 and it is far too loud, yet it is hardly breathing.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  13. Darkness

Darkness Member

14. Jr Deluxe

Jr Deluxe Member

Stick with Katana. You got a gear-monkey on your back and buying a new amp is only a temporary relief.
    BTW I got a gear GORILLA on my back. I got a room full of amps and still no relief.

jamme61, Bobbyoso and Jim234 like this.
  15. jnovac1

jnovac1 Supporting Member

keep the katana. i traded into a katana 100h, and it was really excellent for what you describe. find a setting that works for your pedals and just ignore all the other stuff. that’s pretty much how it works with any amp.

Jim234 likes this.
  16. Tootone

Tootone Member

I think the Katana's onboard effects are a red herring*. What you should really be asking is whether the Katana as a standalone Amp meets your home requirements. It sounds like it does. Problem solved. Just don't use the onboard effects.

* A friend of mine was offered a way to make easy extra income. His first reaction was "How much is it going to cost in Tax?". Red Herring. No matter what the Tax Bill is, you are still making money you didn't previously have.

I've seen folk disregard the Katana Amp, because they couldn't be arsed f#$%ng around with the Boss ToneLab software. So, just use it is an amp. :dunno

17. HeavyCream

HeavyCream Member

Do you still use/like the different amp models or are you using it exclusively as a clean platform? If you use the modeling, keep the Katana. If not, yeah there are better SS options for a pedal platform. The Roland Blues Cube is one. If I was in your situation, that would be my pick.

DeadLazy likes this.
  18. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

Nope, just using it as a clean platform.

Bobbyoso, HeavyCream and Steve Hotra like this.
  19. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

I had a chance to play out at a Recovery Church service ( 12 step)
    I used my Katana head, with a Boneshaker distortion pedal, into a 15 " Big Ben Emmy. I lined out from the Kat head. Not too loud though the sound guy asked me to turn down a little LOL.
    I used the factory clean setting. The Katana head V1, is a keeper.
    OP.. I would hold on to your Katana for a bit.

Doomrider78 likes this.
  20. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

What eq settings do you use on the panel? I've just been playing around and stumbled upon a really good clean tone by turning the bass and middle all the way down and the treble to around 8 o'clock. This, then, allowed me to max the volume and master knobs. I then turned the gain up to the appropriate level.

Steve Hotra likes this.