To replace Katana or not?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Doomrider78, May 31, 2020.

1. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

Sorry, I must have missed your post earlier.

That's a lot of amp just to be used as a clean pedal platform, isn't it? Admittedly, I've never played one, although I've been intrigued by them.

2. soulman969

soulman969 Member

I use an EgnaterTweaker into one or two 1x12 cabs in my apartment daily. It puts out about 18w.

Tube amps don't need to be loud to sound good unless you're looking for one to provide all of it own overdrive or distortion and as you posted for that you have your pedals just as I do. Lower wattage amps can sound just fine at lower volumes once you learn how to set them up for it.

The Katana is a very good amp. I had a 100w head I bought thinking I might need more output for certain gigs that never materialized and for it's acoustic amp setting. I took care of the second need another way and sold the Katana simply because 100w is overkill for my needs and no other reason.

So it's really your call but IME a Katana with all of it's versatility is a very handy tool to have around.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  3. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

I thought the KA was a great home amp and generally an excellent all in one rig. I found the 1959 I the best clean myself and would suggest loading it up and seeing what you think.

Green boost>brown>vintage res>delay and I got some rather tasty tones with some volume.

Maybe grab your DSL and a/b them to get an idea of what pedal+DSL sounds like vs ‘the best’ the KA can offer at ‘your’ home volumes and see how you feel about spending money on something ‘better’.

I use FX into a Vox atm for many home sounds and really enjoy this rig but a 5150 on ‘1’ or my Jose Marshall into a 4x12 is damn good too.

This is JMPE but a I owned a new DRRI 65 recently and it was bad for higher gain tones at reasonable (i.e. under 5) volumes so I returned it (first ever return). It just did not take higher gain at all well. Too dark or way too spikey (that treble bleed cap) and it needed too much volume. The Vox is great even with my son asleep in the next room.

4. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

Props / shout out to you!
    That's what we have to do, with our amps.
    For me, it depends on the guitars / room / amp placement.
    I start off with bass at 11:00 - mids at 9:00 treble at 1:00. Presence is ??
    My guitars vary: Jazzmaster with PV 65, 335 with Shaw humbuckers, and Gretsch Falcon with Filtertrons.
    I adjust the tone knob too.
    Finally .. amp on the ground, amp wedge , or amp stand.
    I use the GAFC foot controller too.
    I set up a bank of using two channels of "clean " and two channels of the "tweed / crunch setting"
    I read on the long Katana thread, that the "crunch" sound can be tweaked for a nice slight overdrive base setting.

Hope this helps, and again.. keep us updated.

soulman969 likes this.
  5. soulman969

soulman969 Member

One hint I can provide regarding a Katana based on BOSS' own recommendations is to run the Master Volume wide open or as close to it as practical since it's emulating the power section of an EL34 based tube amp. This keeps it loud and clean. Then you can add channel volume and gain to taste to fine tune what you want.

Then with that as an initial platform use the output selector to control whatever you need for where you're playing. At home or even in some studio jams I never had it off it's .5 watt setting. 50 watts will double that volume and should be more than enough to gig with. I only used the 100w setting in conjunction with the acoustic amp because the output of my A/Es are much lower than my electrics.

And since the tone stack is fairly sensitive to even slight adjustments I used my clean boost and tone controls a bit more to fine tune what the preamp was getting adding more high or lows as needed based on the guitar I was using and it's pickups. That way tonality and overall volume output aren't impacted by more radical amp EQ settings to compensate for the guitar itself.

My theory is based on giving the amp the very best signal I can initially then tweak and amplify it.

Steve Hotra likes this.
  6. Ejay

Ejay Member

I think the katana is a pretty crappy amp....but...at low volume you need modeling to fake that “spungyness” of an amp at volume.
    So...imho...modeling gives you the best results at bedroom volumes...even a katana ;)

That said...to my ears the poweramp (and prob speaker) of just about any tube amp sounds better then what the Katana offers....but those obviously lack the modeling part.

My solution for low volume is a modeler into the return of a tube combo.
    All the high end modelers are cool offcourse (kemper fanboy), but for home use I got really good results with a cheapass Mooer GE 150 into the return of a combo....beats the ***t out of a katana, not even close. (Owned one, tried to like it for 2 days ;))

Here’s what i got out of the Mooer 150

Nickstrtcstr and neilr11 like this.
  7. Ramboorider

Ramboorider Supporting Member

I had a Katana, one of the original 50 watt models. At first I was intrigued by all the options and played with them extensively. Then I found a setting I liked and more or less just left it there. And because I use a looper a lot and wanted my reverb, delay, and boost/OD in front of the looper, I started using pedals and just left the Katana on a clean setting. It worked, it sounded fine. But realizing I wasn't using any of the potential of the amp and not liking the sound all that much, I checked out a Blues Cube Hot, also a Roland SS amp. But with just one basic "model" and traditional amp controls - no computer hookup except for recording direct. And the bottom line was I thought it sounded a lot better than the Katana for the sound I liked. So I sold the Katana and bought the Blues Cube. It has the same sort of power scaling, I basically don't use the onboard reverb or boost because I want that stuff in front of the looper, so I just use it as a pedal platform on a clean setting. And it sounds great at very low volume and also at much higher volume on the extremely rare occasion I turn it up.

The Katana was fine for that, the Blues Cube, to my ears, is better. The Blues Cube uses a very similar approach to the Fender Tonemaster amps - essentially emulates one amp and feels and acts like a simple one channel tube amp. And it's good deal smaller, which matters to me in my limited space...

-Ray

Peppy likes this.
  8. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

Thanks.

I'm certainly tempted by the simplicity of the Blues Cube or the Tone Masters. I even see the Nextone in a similar vein as well.

How "transparent" are the Blues Cube and the Tone Masters? Meaning, if I stick a MIAB in front, will it sound like a MIAB, or a MIAB, Fender-style?

9. Ramboorider

Ramboorider Supporting Member

Not sure what an MIAB is, but I get the gist of the question. They each have their own sound. The Tonemasters are emulating, obviously the Twin and the Deluxe reverbs. Most of the Blues Cubes pretty much emulate the Fender Bassman, but the Artist and Stage versions can take Roland's "tone capsules" which is basically a iittle plug in piece of hardware (made to resemble a vacuum tube) with different models available that way, one at a time, if you even want to do that. The Blues Cube Hot is available in three versions - the original Fender Bassman version, a Vox EL84 version (mostly only sold in the UK, but a few have found their way to the states), and a Marshall voiced option that was/is only sold new through Guitar Center / Musician's Friend and that line of associated retailers. I've played both the Bassman and Marshall versions and they're pretty different sounding amps. In a basic low volume clean setting the differences aren't that great, but as you add boost and turn it up, they're notably different.

So, using effects in front of the amp on a clean setting at low volume, the differences are not all that big, but they're there. The Bassman version had that kind of looser sounding low end, the Marshall version is tighter and bit growlier, for lack of a better way to describe it. So, no more transparent than any two different amps. I've never played one of the Tonemasters, but I'm sure they're similar in this regard.

-Ray

10. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

Great insights! Thanks

soulman969 likes this.
  11. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

MIAB stands for "Marshall In A Box": Essentially, a pedal designed to produce the tone of a cranked Marshall.

Ramboorider likes this.
  12. Darkness

Darkness Member

It is a lot of amp, but the tube driven output driver takes solid state pedals a step above purely SS power amps.

13. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

Wildcard: Marshall Origin.

14. soulman969

soulman969 Member

:beer Anytime. Just sharing some knowledge and personal experience. Those amps have so much versatility and I only scratched the surface. There was always a huge thread here supported by those who dug much deeper into them than I ever did. I like to play too much to explore all of what one can do.

15. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

Exactly why I'm exploring swapping to something with less tweakability.

soulman969 likes this.
  16. soulman969

soulman969 Member

I hear ya brother, I hear ya. :D

You might explore an Egnater Tweaker for a tube amp. I have the 15w head but it also comes in a 15w 1x12 combo version. The tweakability is all analog and far more straightforward. I'll let you read up on one yourself if they interest you but I do love mine. Had it for about 5 years now.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/egnater-tweaker-15-w-tube-guitar-amp-head?

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/amp...d-and-tweaker-1x12-half-stack/424080000000000

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/amp...=egnater tube combo guitar amplifiers&index=3

17. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

Cheers, dude.

soulman969 likes this.
  18. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    Well Katana never was the best home practice option imo.
    Even in the SS range there's several better - Roland Blues Artist and Stage for starters.

In the tube amp range there's many low watt amps that sound much better than any SS amp at bedroom volumes.
    Orange don't make any - Mesa Boogie, Egnater and others do

19. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

Interesting view.

Which tube amps would you be referring to? Which other SS amps would you suggest, other than the ones you've mentioned?

20. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    Better SS amps imo - new Fender Deluxe Reverb TM purely as a clean pedal platform.
    Roland Blues Artist, Stage are better sounding and the old Roland Cube 60, Cube 80, JC-120, JC-40 are just as good imo and lot's cheaper.

In tube amp range there's many amps x10 better sounding and some more versatile - for starters check out.

Mesa Boogie - all of Mark V 25, Mark V 35, Express 5:25, Mini Rectifier, TA-15, Lonestar Special, Fillmore 25, F-30.
    Vox - Night Train, AC10, AC15, MV50 AC.
    Egnater - Tweaker, Rebel 20, Rebel 30.
    Marshall - DSL5, DSL20, Studio Classic,
    Fender - Princeton, BassBreaker 15, BassBreaker 007.
    Morgan AC20.

Plus there's many other boutique tube amp makes around with many great low watt options.
    I've listed just a few of the major brands.
    There's another thread running now on lunch box sized tube amps - much bigger list there.

Anything with tubes sounds much better than a Katana imo.
    And there's no criticism of Katana in that comment - it's a very good SS amp imo :)

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    Doomrider78 likes this.