To replace Katana or not?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Doomrider78, May 31, 2020.

1. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

I'd be interested in a TMDR, if they generally take pedals well. Perhaps I'll try one out next time I'm at the store.

I'm also wondering about the Blues Junior iv Tweed.

Thanks for the input. I think I'd need to try one out. The trouble is no one near me stocks them.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    stratzrus likes this.
  2. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

A Katana or other SS amp is totally fine for a practice amp or even a backup amp for gigging. I'm not crazy for its overdrive/distortion tones, but its still reasonable and gets the job done. As far as SS amps go, I personally prefer Quilter for both practicing and gigs as I find they have more dynamics and are louder.. but the Boss stuff is still good.

3. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

Yeah, I'm not knocking the Boss gear at all, just musing on simplifying things a wee bit: There's something appealing about a simple, good sounding clean amp with pedals out front. Of course, there's GAS at work as well :eek::D

4. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

Yeah, if you're after that, IMO Quilter is a top choice. His amps are basically designed to be that. Light, portable, simple and can sound great quiet or loud in a band:

5. Wolfgangsta

Wolfgangsta Supporting Member

I had a Katana 50 for a while and liked it just fine. After about 30 minutes tweaking the global eq on the computer, I really liked it. I used it mic'ed for my P&W gig. Took pedals well too. About a month ago, I got rid of it and got a Fender Super Champ X2. Same story as the Kat. Cool little amp, but great once I spent a little while with the software (which Fender no longer supports, but it still works). I think it sounds really good at bedroom volumes. Haven't used it at the P&W gig yet, but suspect it'll be just fine. I did play it at my classic rock band practice and at higher volumes it starts to sound small and boxy tho. YMMV and all IMHO.

Doomrider78 likes this.
  6. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

Tonight I decided to put my Katana to one side and started using my Marshall DSL40CR, at least for a while. Damn, it feels nice to play through a tube amp again, even at low [tv] volume (which the DSL is pretty good at). If jamming starts up again, perhaps I may have to get a baby DSL amp for home use :cool:

neilr11 likes this.
  7. Tonycaster

Tonycaster Member

another vote for the Origin, I bought one a few weeks ago to let my 2203 have a rest and with a good set of tubes and a nice speaker is a killer amp for the price. Lots of nice features with a kind of vintage vibe, power tubes are plug 'n' play and the price lice is a steal

8. Simon

Simon Supporting Member

I play in Key West at The Hogs Breath (During normal times).
    The house amp is a Katana.
    It works great as a pedal platform.
    So like others have said, just ignore that horrible dist and other options on the Katana that you don't need.

I'm a big fan of the Roland Blues Cube Hot British el84 vs, not to be confused with the normal 6v6 voiced version.

Jim234 likes this.