to SSC or not to SSC...

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by fjs1962, Feb 27, 2006.

1. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

I want to buy another Suhr Classic. I found one at a dealer that is just what I'm looking for except it has the Silent Single Coil electronics. Now I know the SSC is very cool, but to be honest I've been playing single coil guitars all my life and can count on my fingers the number of gigs I've played where the hum was so bad it got in the way. It's adding right at $500 to what I'll have to pay for this guitar compared to what it would cost without the system. I could probably thin out a few pedals I don't use all the time and scrape the extra cash together, but should I? Or should I keep looking until another one comes along without the SSC?

2. Ritualee

Ritualee Supporting Member

The SSC is great. Once you have it you'll be shocked you went so long without it. Good stuff.

3. shoe

shoe Member

I can't imagine any reason why you wouldn't want it......its THAT GOOD.

4. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

Play a guitar with it, if you still don't think it's worth it, don't get it. Just don't ever make the mistake of moving to 806 10th Avenue in San Mateo CA, where the hum is as loud as the note. I never had a problem with Strat hum, couldn't understand what the fuss was about, that is until I moved here.

5. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

Well I went ahead and ordered the guitar. I guess I'll know if it was worth the extra $ in a couple of days! :D

6. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

You could have purchased the shielding kit from Stew Mac, but you'd need to be able to solder. I've learned to live with the tone from Dimarzio VV2.0's. Sound pretty good with a 300K pot, at least that's what I use. Can't beat the V60's though. Sounds like a great investment.

7. JDouglee

JDouglee Member

Congrats! I take my SCC Classic to every gig these days. It's great to not
    have to worry about noise anymore. I can now just concentrate on playing.

8. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

Unfortunately shielding doesn't do a thing for 60 cycle hum, I've put a lot of effort into this kind of shielding and the results were negledgable.

9. EBGB

EBGB Member

I got the back plate system on my AV62RI today. Seems really clean and great so far. I tried it with the 59 Bassman at the shop, and my 65 Princeton Reverb. 80% less noise. Whatever is left reminds me I'm playing a strat, if I can even hear it.

10. Matt Gordon

Thats strange. It has worked for me using Fender pickups (American Standard Strat). Did you wrap the pickups with electricians tape and the copper foil, and splice the ground wires? This is different than John's stuff. Didn't Lonnie Totman have a hand in this SSC development? I remember Lonnie talking about it, saying the solution was an easy one. I can't remember. But the Stew Mac kit worked for me. Maybe I was lucky.

11. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

I did'nt use the Stew Mac kit, there wasn't one 20 years ago when I tried it. I just got copper foil and covered everything including the pickups, control cavity and pickguard, then single pointed a connection for the pickup foil to the volume pot ground, my star ground center, the cavity copper was grounded to the pickguard by contact. It helped some with the high end hiss but did nothing for the louder 60 cycle humm, some of the high end that I wanted for tone unfortunately was lost as well so I took off all that stuff and learned to live with the humm, that is until recently when I moved into a house where the humm was unbearable.

BTW, I've tried other solutions since moving into this electricaly noisy house. Thinking it was noisy electricity from the AC outlet I bought an expensive Furman AR-15 unit to clean it up, it didn't help at all. I guess this kind of humm is induced somehow from something localy, maybe a power transformer in the neighborhood. It's been a real nightmare, but I'm moving to Hollywood this week, hopefully I land in a house without so much electrical noise.

12. Matt Gordon

John, I did notice a loss of the higher freqs now that you mention it. I thought maybe Lonnie had something close in mind, but I don't recall him ever really giving the specifics. I always figured we ran upon the natural limitations of two-conductor wire without some kind of dummy coil installed in the cavity. Guess I get a pretty pure sine at my hooch because my little experiment worked pretty well. For some reason those Fender pu's are very noisy, very dirty. Stand corrected about Lonnie tho.

13. JDouglee

JDouglee Member

:p:p :p :p :p :p

14. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

are the non ssc pickups going to be a lot more noisy than my fender laces?

15. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

John,
    the laces were all right, but not quite what I was looking for in a pickup.... noise wise they were pretty quiet though.... I'm just wondering if the VL60's without SSC are going to be a lot more noisey than the laces.... hopefully my Suhr should be arriving in the next couple weeks and I'll find out for myself....just wondering though.............FYI- I sold my Fender guitar w/laces to fund the Suhr.... no more laces here.....