To the frequent giggers

tj1004

Silver Supporting Member
For guys that play out a lot or rehearse a lot, do you use a certain gear bag for accessories (cords, spare tubes, spare strings, extra these and those)? I just use a backpack but nothing stays organized and it just seems to me like there would be something better for these type items. Thanks

Enjoyer

NOSTALGIA WARNING:

I WAS a frequent gigger. 76 - 86. In those days, the guys I played with tried to out do each other with the best tweed-style suitcases one could find at the local thrift stores. Ahhhhhhh, the memories.

blood5150

i have a pedal board with all of my pedals, etc.. on it...

but I do bring a backpack to gigs with extra cables, batteries, extension cords, etc... in case I need them

Spudman

Thrift store suitcases for sure.
They are almost bombproof and you can make dividers for them if you have to. I got one big enough for my pedalboard and cables coiled on top and a few other items in tough plastic boxes. Everything rides securely and if you leave stickers and stuff off of it it just looks like some dumb ass suitcase instead of a box worth $1500. Get what I'm sayin?

dave s

I have something similar to this:

It's big enough to fit guitar stands, amp mic stand, a bunch of guitar/mic cables, etc. in the large compartment. Smaller compartments are used for tools, string sets, spare tubes, tuner, batteries ... pretty much all the other 'just-in-case' items you have to bring to gigs.

dave

shredtrash

Gold Supporting Member
I use a duffel bag like the one above. The pockets are helpful for organization. I used a backpack for years but it seemed like whenever I needed something fast, it was at the bottom.

JDandCoke

just a sports style bag for me.

fits guitar stands and cables, mics, strings, tools.
also i put my wah and volume pedal in there (dont go on the pedalboard)

i usually make sure this is somewhere onstage when im playing in case i need to grab a spare cable or some gaffa tape fast. also means i can leave my phone and wallet in there.

DerekEstrada

I used a bowling ball bag for quite a while, but it felt like a purse when walking through the club...then I got a blue one instead of a pink one, and now it's more like a man-bag! Seriously...the bowling ball bag works great. Who's gonna steal your bowling ball outta yer car outside the club?

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
+1 on the bowling bag for cables. the rigid bottom panel keeps stuff safer. it rides inside a big rubbermaid bin with my other guitar stuff. (stands, etc.)

radcliff

I put the extras like tools and strings in the guitar case, and the cables and surge protectors in the pedalboard case.

I always feel very pressed for time when setting up, so it's nice to have everything in the same big box case. Stuff that doesnt really get used very often can stay in a guitar case.

I would love to someday get one of those neat little suitcases though.

aidan7737

It's bowling-bag esque for me too. Carry bag with one opening and rigid flat bottom. No wondering which pocket my capo (or slide, or screwdriver, or...) is in.

DerekEstrada

It's bowling-bag esque for me too. Carry bag with one opening and rigid flat bottom. No wondering which pocket my capo (or slide, or screwdriver, or...) is in.
That's right! Just stick your hand all the way to the bottom and rub it around till ya feel the right tool. That didn't come out right....:eek::jo:crazy:messedup

iaresee

Silver Supporting Member
When I'm playing I keep my wallet, keys and phone in there.
There was a Geddy Lee interview I read in my youth that has always stuck with me. I'm paraphrasing a huge amount here but he was giving advice for gigging and he said: always keep your wallet with you on stage. It's one of those immutable rules I've lived by. The wallet stays in the back pocket.

For all other accessories I have an extra large case for my pedal board that not only eats the stuff, but keeps it organized as well. If I'm going board-free I can get the essentials into my guitar case(s).

Lucidology

Silver Supporting Member
I use a 61 key soft keyboard bag with all kinds of pockets for chords & such...
Plus it has a shoulder strap which allows me to carry my amp with my arms
guitar in gigbag on shoulder coupled with effects/accessories
& necessary backup essentials all in with just one load from the van ....

jb70

Silver Supporting Member
small stuff (capo, strings, tools, string winder, batteries, etc...) are all in my guitar gigbag. power strip, extension cord, cables all go in the pocket of my pedaltrain soft case.

Trending Topics