To those of you who love the Emi Tonker...

KBN

Please help me out here. What kind of music are you playing and what kind of cab do you have them in? Also what amp and pedals are you using?

The reason I ask is that I just put two used Tonkers in a Mojo oversized marshall style 2x12 and I am running a Reeves Custom 50 into it. I am using a Reezafratzitz and a modified SD-1 for overdrive and I find the speakers nothing like the description on the Eminence website. They are described as fat and warm with moderate highs, but they are the most strident speaker I have ever played. I ran 50 Hz through the cab all day today and it didn't seem to help (I don't know how many hours are on them). I had a pair of Carvin British Series 12s in the cab before this. I think they are much more up my alley. Am I missing something here? Is there a dramatic break in period for these? The Tonkers do sound good for cleans though.

hasserl

I have one in an open back single 12 combo and one in a closed back oversized single 12 bass reflex cabinet. I play mostly classic rock and blues/blues rock, using vintage style edge of breakup tones to I suppose mildly overdriven tones. I've heard from others that play heavy overdrive that these speakers are fizzy, though that hasn't been my experience.

Here's an example of the open back combo: http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6219627

Here's one from the closed back cab: http://soundclick.com/share?songid=2868025

And here's another of the open back combo: http://soundclick.com/share?songid=5525345

KBN

I have one in an open back single 12 combo and one in a closed back oversized single 12 bass reflex cabinet. I play mostly classic rock and blues/blues rock, using vintage style edge of breakup tones to I suppose mildly overdriven tones. I've heard from others that play heavy overdrive that these speakers are fizzy, though that hasn't been my experience.

Here's an example of the open back combo: http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6219627

Here's one from the closed back cab: http://soundclick.com/share?songid=2868025

And here's another of the open back combo: http://soundclick.com/share?songid=5525345
Clips sound good. Thanks for the reply. I will give them a little more time, but I think the Tonkers days are numbered.

Mark dB

My Tonker in an open back combo took a couple of weeks, playing an hour per day, to break in. The highs smoothed out significantly. I play Country rock & blues.

Before you replace them, just for kicks, swap the speaker polarity and try them that way. It may be what you are looking for.

KBN

My Tonker in an open back combo took a couple of weeks, playing an hour per day, to break in. The highs smoothed out significantly. I play Country rock & blues.

Before you replace them, just for kicks, swap the speaker polarity and try them that way. It may be what you are looking for.
I didn't know that would make a difference. Tell me more.

picnic

I have a Tonker in a Fargen Blackbird 40. Love it! Lots of clean loud. For dirt I use a Red Snapper. Guitars are Anderson Strat and Tele. Lots of Fendery goodness. Mostly play clean tones.

The Tonkerlite in my 68 SFDR is also the best I have heard in it. Weber Cali, Texas Heat, RWB all did not sound as good as the T-Lite.

rockon1

Platinum Supporting Member
I've heard from others that play heavy overdrive that these speakers are fizzy, though that hasn't been my experience.
That was my experience with the Tonker and high gain. A lot of sizzle on top until you pushed the speaker and at that point it was loud! Maybe I got a dud. Donno. Bob

Mark dB

I just put two used Tonkers in a Mojo oversized marshall style 2x12
I'm assuming that your cabinet has a closed back. It's difficult to tell with a closed back cab if your speakers are firing forward or backward on initial guitar string attack. It really makes a big sonic difference. I find that you lose significant bass and midrange detail with speakers that are wired 'backward firing'. You can have this problem even if you've wired the red wire to + on the speaker, and black to - terminal, especially when mixing different manufacturer's heads and cabs. It all depends on how things are wired upstream.. i.e. your guitar, effects, amp, etc.) I always put a speaker polarity switch on my cabinets so that I can easily see which way sounds best with whatever head I'm using.

KBN

I'm assuming that your cabinet has a closed back. It's difficult to tell with a closed back cab if your speakers are firing forward or backward on initial guitar string attack. It really makes a big sonic difference. I find that you lose significant bass and midrange detail with speakers that are wired 'backward firing'. You can have this problem even if you've wired the red wire to + on the speaker, and black to - terminal, especially when mixing different manufacturer's heads and cabs. It all depends on how things are wired upstream.. i.e. your guitar, effects, amp, etc.) I always put a speaker polarity switch on my cabinets so that I can easily see which way sounds best with whatever head I'm using.
I am going to wire up a reverse polarity speaker cable and see what happens. I will report back later.

KBN

I reversed the polarity of the signal and I didn't notice an appreciable difference. Looks like I will end up throwing something else back in that cab.

pdouds

i really like the cleans, but with overdrive it sounds weird, imo. i have a pair of rheinhardt 1265's that i like way better. maybe the speaker isn't broken in enough yet.

gtrnstuff

I never bonded with the Tonker. More fizz than hi-mids, so not a lot of cutting through the mix, clean or distorted. I do like the tone of the Wizard and Governor, but individually both of mine had significant cone cry at moderate volume. OK in a 2-12 where they could share the load.

Iversen

I liked my Tonker from the day I mounted it in a Fender Princeton Reverb II. In fact I was amazed at how warm the highs felt from the first note. I think I've had it for 2 or 3 years by now and I've yet to think I should try something else. I've a similar amp with the Emi Red Fang, the two together sound just sweet for what I do.

I mostly play it clean since all I play is soul, so it's only for the occasional solo I turn on the drive. For that I either use a Fulltone OCD or the EMMA Reeza and the Tonker sounds as good driven as it does clean.

FWIW, I get lots of props for my tone, even from non-players.

Trending Topics