1. During the first week of August 2020, we'll be upgrading the software TGP runs on to the currently available up-to-date version. The software version is a significant upgrade, so there will be some downtime as we do the work under the hood. We've got a team of professionals, including the software development company assisting the process. We've conducted substantial tests using backups of the current forum to ensure a smooth and successful upgrade. We've gone to great lengths on the design of the theme (aka 'skin' or look and feel) of the forum to offer a better user experience for members and visitors. The default theme will be new, yet clearly influenced by the classic TGP look. We will have a dark version of that also easily selectable. Also available will be a "Classic TGP" theme that closely matches the current theme you are accustomed to using with the current software. There is also an easy width adjustment to make it set width or expand to your window width for each theme. As we get closer, I'll update everyone so hopefully, no one will be caught by surprise.
    Dismiss Notice

To those who hate relic'ed guitars...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by blandified, May 26, 2020.

1. blandified

blandified Supporting Member

BIG DRAMA SHOW LET'S GO

You go to a guitar store, play a guitar, fall in love with it, plays nice, sounds nice, looks nice, but WAIT...... it's relic'ed.

Do you:
    a.) Research all previous owners to determine if its roadworn-look has been genuinely aged. If so, you still like the guitar. IF you find out that 3 owners ago it was manually relic'ed it, throw this filthy piece of poser trash away.
    b.) Ignorance is bliss. Being able to say "I bought it like that" is better than saying "I relic'ed it myself" or "I know it was manually relic'ed". Don't ask don't tell.
    c.) Buy it and enjoy it.

fishleehooker likes this.
  2. TL;DR

TL;DR Member

I mean relic’ing is goofy, but not any sort of deal breaker, if the price was right and the guitar was good

Boomdoggy, Mr.db, timallums and 11 others like this.
  3. Christopher Winkels

Christopher Winkels Member

I likely wouldn't pick up a moderately to heavily reliced piece to begin with. A ding in the headstock, a belt buckle gouge on the back, or an inconsequential chip in the paint is one thing, but rusting hardware is a dealbreaker for me before I even touch it.

Eireguitar, matt3310, 2pods and 29 others like this.
  4. bossaddict

bossaddict Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

5. JWhite

JWhite Member

I wouldn’t have picked it up in the first place!

Eireguitar, spiral, drunk and 28 others like this.
  6. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

If someone truly hates relics, it's hard to imagine them buying one. Or even trying one--and that might be for some out of a subconscious fear that they'd like it!

I'm lukewarm about relics, been in the situation described, and have bought them on occasion.

7. cap10kirk

cap10kirk Member

A guitar has to appeal to me aesthetically for me to want to pick it up and try it in the first place. So since I don't like the way relics look, I simply don't try them out.

8. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

25 years ago at a guitar show, I picked up this early 80s Ibanez roadstar guitar, it was beat to sh*t and the neck just was so worn in, it was just amazing to play... I wish I would have bought that guitar!!!
    About 8 years ago at GC i saw a fender that looked beat to H*LL, I picked it up to play, it felt like a brand new guitar, i didn’t like how it felt at all.... I’m not sure if I’ve ever understood relics, but I’m probably not their target audience!!!!

farkas and voodoosound like this.
  9. Multi Angle Vise

Multi Angle Vise Member

10. ubernerd

ubernerd Member

d) none of the above. I wouldn't have picked it up to begin with.

11. Raymond Lin

Raymond Lin Member

10 years ago I hated it, found the idea absurd, the idea that a beat up product cost more than a brand new one.

10 years later I have a relic guitar in the mail to me and I am quite looking forward to it. My previous guitar was also a relic too....I guess I have done a 180, eating my words by spending my own money.

I see both sides of the coin, the biggest plus is that I leave my relic guitars out but my "new" guitars in cases.

12. Steadfastly

Steadfastly Member

I don't "HATE" reliced guitars but I don't like them. They are frankly, a lie. There is no way I would have one. I don't even like real worn guitars. Sanding and refinishing is an easy job and I can't understand why someone wouldn't take the time to make their gear look as nice as possible.

As per your question about really liking one I found in the store, I would look for the same model that was not half trashed and if I couldn't find one, I would by the reliced one and take it home and refinish it.

GusFowler likes this.
  13. donnievaz

donnievaz Member

It would have to play and sound GLORIOUS for me to get past it...

Datsyuk and Magnets And Melodies like this.
  14. Teal_66

Teal_66 Member

Top 3 toxic TGP thread subjects: (1) Relic'd guitars (2) tattoos (3) Joe Bonamassa

ckyrost, uab9253, Mr.db and 2 others like this.
  15. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

I’ve seen some very attractive relic’d guitars in pics, so I get why some folks like them. I don’t know if I’d pick one up to try out. But I likely wouldn’t pick up a totally beat up guitar some dude played a bunch either. Don’t want his gunk on my hands, and it’s not likely I play the same way he does, so places like the the neck might feel strange to me all worn in someone else’s favorite positions.

16. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

Gotta add Klon, Dumble, Mayer, JB or JM playing through/selling a Dumble.

zeppfan1 and D K Souther like this.
  17. BrokenRomeo

BrokenRomeo Member

I've never purchased a relic'ed guitar, but I have had some techs in the past do some relicing while getting a setup!!

18. TDJMB

TDJMB Gold Supporting Member

I don't like relic'd but I'll keep my Whitfill because it sounds & plays great and is lightweight.

19. Eveningtheme

Eveningtheme Member

My face when I play a disgusting mojoless relic
    [​IMG]

My face when I'm doing my own relicing at the bi-monthly blues jam with boys
    [​IMG]

20. GibSG

GibSG Member

POOR DRAMA SHOW LET'S GO

You go to a guitar store, play a guitar, fall in love with it, plays nice, sounds nice, looks nice, but WAIT...... it's mint condition......

:D