To Tonepros or not to Tonepros?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bartmcartman, Dec 18, 2009.

1. bartmcartman

bartmcartman Supporting Member

What changes in your tone or sustain did you guys who've swapped your old hardware for tonepros hardware notice if any? Thanks.

2. KazJY

KazJY Member

My SG just RINGS so much nicer now.

The effect was less on another SG that I had experimented with, but it was the single best upgrade I did, next to replacing the tuners, and pickups, and..... (you get the idea)

3. FourT6and2

FourT6and2 Member

There was no change in tone nor in sustain for me. But, I don't need to reset intonation or worry about the tailpiece falling off when I change strings, now.

4. Luke

Luke Senior Member

This

5. dju

dju Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FourT6and2 [​IMG]
    There was no change in tone nor in sustain for me. But, I don't need to reset intonation or worry about the tailpiece falling off when I change strings, now.

the same here

6. jonboy

jonboy Member

In most cases where I installed them, they have helped sustain greatly. Your mileage may vary, but I have personally had great experiences with them.

7. CS'56

CS'56 Member

Just my opinion but I wouldn't buy them again. For me they were a waste of $. No change in tone or sustain on the McCarty I had. When changing strings I just left one string on and the tail piece never fell off. You could also tape the studs on a prs to keep them from moving.

8. Phoebe

Phoebe Senior Member

IMO, their stuff seems reasonable on paper, but I've never noticed that much of a difference. The down-pressure that the strings put on the bridge is much more significant that "locking" the bridge on the posts.

9. dharmafool

dharmafool Member

A real upgrade would consist of stronger, higher-quality materials, machined from billet stock for closer tolerances, and lighter overall weight.

What is TonePros but a set-screw here and a clip there, added to the so-so quality bridge, tail, studs and bushings that come on most every TOM-type guitar on the market?

There are upgrades that far surpass TonePros, and they will cost more. Callaham, Faber, TiSonix and Pigtail (if it's still going) are all doing great things with TOM hardware. These companies recognize there has been a need for improvement well beyond TonePros.

10. oldgtarz

oldgtarz Member

My Ice tea CR8 came with a tonepros bridge (with wire) and it really sings.
    When I noticed ongoing rattling on my Cherry CR8, I ordered a new tonepros abr replacement (avr2, wireless) and it's made the guitar much better, no more rattling, more sustain and it has become even louder when played unplugged.
    So I'd say yes to Tonepros!

11. rrhea

rrhea Member

Seems like the Tonepros stuff is not much better metal than what comes on the stock Gibsons now.

I agree with the poster that much better upgrades can be had from guys like Callaham. The Callaham strat bridges I bought and installed are nothing short of amazing so I can only imagine the TOM stuff he makes is equally as impressive.

A real piece of perfectly machined metal is so unusual these days that when you actually hold one in your hands and use it (inserting and turning screws, etc) you can instantly feel and tactically appreciate what true quality and precision is as well as hearing the tonal difference it makes when playing your guitar.

To me these are the upgrades worth spending money on. What these boutique guys charge is more than fair for what you get. Put the $70+ you'd spend on a Tonepros toward a Callaham or other such product... it's totally worth it.

RR

12. khromo231

khromo231 Guest

I've found that (assuming you are replacing decent quality hardware with no defects) you should expect anywhere from no noticeable improvement to a subtle improvement when changing to TonePros TOM's, tailpieces, and/or studs. I have never heard the dramatic differences that some users report. I don't have Golden Ears.

It has been my experience that if you don't like a fixed bridge guitar or bass (assuming the hardware is not damaged, defective, or in any way hammered to begin with), changing the bridge hardware will not make enough of a difference to make it an instrument that you do like. This is not necessarilly the case with Strats or other instruments equipped with tremolo bridges.

If you have a keeper that you are trying to tweak a little, TonePro's products are worth trying. Just don't expect a big difference, unless there is something wrong with the hardware you are replacing.

13. MarkF786

MarkF786 Member

+1

TonePros hardware is good, but not much better than the stuff from Gotoh or similar brands (which costs much less). To get to the next level, you need to look at the hardware made by some of these smaller companies.

14. tnvol

tnvol Supporting Member

Same for me. I have a few guitars with them but I didn't put any of them on. They all came with them so I don't know what the difference is.

15. mcdonaldkd

mcdonaldkd Member

I think it depends on what you are swapping out. I changed the stock stuff on my Epi Dot for Tonepros, and it was night and day. I'm not sure I would have had the same result with my R8.

16. GtrDr

GtrDr Member

I noticed no change in tone on my R7. There's 2 grades of Tone Pro's/ The good stuff is made by Gotoh. I have seen the cheaper ones with no brand name on them.

17. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

Meh, kinda turned things "plinky" on my LP after I switched.

18. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

I would like to try the TonePros stuff but it's a bit confusing as I don't know what Bridge or Tail Piece to get and where to get it ?

I have a 08 Les Paul Standard if anyone wants to help.
    ( Made in January 08, Before they did the upgrades )