To trade my MIM Strat for a Epi Les Paul Studio? Opinions please.....

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by tele_jas, Feb 26, 2012.

1. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

I have a '99 Mexican Strat that I just had the pickups re-wound by a local guy to make them a little meatier sounding but I'm just not a Strat player.... I like Tele's and rarely play the Strat.

There's a local guy that has a Les Paul Studio that wants to trade me.... Any advice? I know I paid $600-ish from mine when I got it new and the LP Studio is $350-ish new. I see the MIM Strats go for $300 new and have seen used Studio LP's go for $200.

Would that be a dumb trade? I just need so reassurance one way or the other. Plus, I know NOTHING about Les Pauls (never even played one in my 23 years of playing guitar).

Thanks, Jason

2. SUBmariner

SUBmariner Member

Sure - don't do it.

There is a wide range of Epi "Les Pauls" from pretty darn nice guitars down to pretty cheap bolt-on guitars. Not sure where in the scale of things your potential trade falls, but if you know nothing of Les Pauls, I sure wouldn't trade for one until you at least have fiddled with one a bit and gotten GAS for a Les Paul.

3. budglo58

budglo58 Member

I wouldnt do it.Maybe if it were a more expensive LP . i would save your money and buy a used Epi LP for pretty cheap.

4. SG_Seth

SG_Seth Member

Yeah. No way would I make that trade. Hang onto the strat. I see ued epi lp standards and customs on craigslist for $300 all the time.

Epi studios are not worth much at all used.

5. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

Thanks guys..... I know that seemed like a trivial question, but I know NOTHING about Les Pauls and wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a "hidden treasure".

Thanks, Jason