• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

To Wrap or Not to Wrap Strings

doesitmatter

I tried it four years ago and never went back. Easier to play, less chance of breakage and better sustain with the tailpiece screwed down. No reason not to.

JohnSykes

Hint! The Les Paul was designed from the get go with the strings top wound. Best of everything right there. Yes I know it's just another opinion.
Rob
Really? I think i read that somewhere but didnt know it was actually true.

bossaddict

Silver Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
I have a Les Paul Custom with fretless wonder frets and I topwrap that one just to make it ever so slightly easier on bends, but I string all my other TOM Les Pauls the normal way.

TheClev

As seen on TV
I top wrap my Les Paul every time, but I'd never top wrap my Flying V. Not sure why. Something about the LP demands to be slinkier, and something about the Flying V demands to be tighter.

Digitalman

Totally depends on the neck angle and bridge height for every guitar. My LP likes top wrapping, my 335 does not.

tdarian

Platinum Supporting Member
I have one of my two top wrapped, better geometry doing it on that guitar. The bridge sits a little lower on the other one and straight through is perfect.

JosephZdyrski

I personally have never had the desire to make a LP guitar feel slinkier so I don’t wrap. Seems like it could lead to some string breaking too. And since my strings never break... why mess with a good thing?

Laurence

Silver Supporting Member
One standard wraped and one straight through. Each guitar is a bit different.

SFW

If I’m playing 10s in standard tuning, I run them straight through. If I’m in E flat with 11s, I will top wrap to make it a bit easier to play.

agiehler

No wrapping for me. Tried it and didn't like the tone or the feel, so never bothered to try again.

Trending Topics