Toadworks Barracuda Flanger

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by LL1, Oct 6, 2008.

1. LL1

LL1 Supporting Member

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this pedal.
    http://www.toadworksusa.com/BC.html
    if so how did it compare to other flangers?
    what did you like or dislike about it?
    thanks

2. Big Boss Man

Big Boss Man Member

Is it even out yet? I have yet to see it listed with online retailers.

3. LL1

LL1 Supporting Member

hmmm, not sure, I was searching analog flangers and came across it. I hadnt yet looked for one to buy...

4. AshyLarry

AshyLarry Member

Its still not out as far as I know, I've been watching it for a while. Hopefully it comes out soon...

5. JakeELee

JakeELee Member

Old thread, but just noted on the site that these are now expected to be release spring of 2009.

6. jimmycupo

jimmycupo Member

7. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Site notes they worked w/ Howard Leese on the pedal.
    Roger Fisher was the main cat in early Heart.

8. virtualtoad

virtualtoad Member

Howard played the opening riff on the recording. I think that's enough to make our association with him, and his with this pedal credible, to say the least. (In a cool coincidence, the Tele Howard used on Barracuda is the same guitar that was used to record Born To Be Wild.)

In any event, Howard was originally asked to join Heart to play keys (he played the solo on Magic Man - I think that's pretty early), but ended up playing ALOT of the guitar parts (he also played the opening solo on Magic Man - in fact he played guitar on nearly every hit they had). Nothing against Roger, but there's a reason Howard was with Heart for over 20 years.

Regarding the flanger, it's kind of a long story, but it's our #1 priority right now (we were working on it all day today). It's just that it has to be right, and that's taken some time. We had a working prototype at NAMM in January, but we felt it could be better... we're almost there, hoping to have it wrapped up in the next month, so we can ship in Spring.

9. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Ryan,

Thanks for chiming in on this...since you are in fact working with Howard on this do you know for sure what was used on the original recording of Barracuda, was it a box/pedal or old fasion tape flanging or what??

Thanks
    CF

10. virtualtoad

virtualtoad Member

Yeah, we're working directly with Howard. He demoed the first prototype for us at NAMM in January, he'll be back at our booth again this coming January.

It was electronic. The original unit was made by Heart's amp tech. It was based on a design Roger Fisher found in a magazine (Popular Science, I think). The original isn't an exact copy of that circuit, he made some interesting modifications.

4 units were made - One each for Roger, Howard, and Nancy, and then the tech kept one for himself.

11. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Very cool! Thanks! I always wondered about that tone...

12. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

No disrespect intended to Leese - still a working pro (w/ Paul Rodgers, no less) and a fine player.
    But, I certainly dig Fisher's early playing and feel bad that he is largely over-looked. Seems Leese sometimes gets credit for Fisher's work (not his fault).
    Big style difference between 'em (for example, Magic Man: Leese played the short/cleanish guitar solo sections and the keys solo, while Fisher played the main/rockier solo sections).
    Best of luck w/ the pedal - looks interesting...

13. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

YES.......

Roger Fisher was THE MAN back then -- and still is now. Roger Fisher is responsible for a LARGE part of the 70s Heart guitar sounds.

And that's no disrespect to Howard Leese at all.....but Howard was originally a hired gun in the studio, while Roger helped start the band, and was truly the innovator when it came to guitar sounds.

I keep in touch with Roger sort of regularly. he was one of my biggest influences in the 70s, and he is a really awesome guy.

I certainly would NOT make a "barracuda" named flanger without his input. It would be like making the EVH 5150 amp without talking to Eddie.

geez, I hope the thing sounds good -- I have never found a flanger that would get THAT sound.....

14. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

the reasons why Roger was not in the band for 20 years had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO with his guitar playing, Howard is a FINE player, no doubt.

But if you think they kept Howard because he was "better" than Roger, you are VERY off-base.......

you need to ask ANN WILSON.....not Howard.

15. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

Your analogy isn't quite so good. You're saying that you wouldn't make a Sammy Hagar voice pedal without getting David Lee Roth's input?

16. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

by the way -- let's take a look at the 12/79 issue of Guitar Player

Nancy on cover OF COURSE -- she's HOT and BLONDE and FEMALE.

And Roger Fisher -- OF HEART.

Howard Leese is listed a little further down......not mentioned as "from Heart"

so...who was Hearts guitar player again?:):):):):)

that's right......ROGER FISHER......

[​IMG]

17. virtualtoad

virtualtoad Member

That's not what I meant at all - Roger rocked, of course. I just meant that Howie also rocked - still does - and deserves a little more credit for his contributions than some people give him credit for. Trust me - every time someone starts a thread asking about the Barracuda flanger, inevitably someone says "no way, it was all Roger" (or something to that effect), and that's simply not accurate.

18. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

Yeah, I bet you get that a lot. And I am totally one of those guys. What can I say? I saw Roger live when I was 12 years old, and never forgot how awesome he was live.

Howard is an AWESOME player, and I have shared a few beers with him before and discussed the Heart stuff. Yes, he was one of Heart's guitar players. Yes, he took up the slack when all hell broke loose relationship-wise with Ann and Roger and Nancy and everyone else. From what I have heard, it puts the Fleetwood Mac "Rumours" era stuff to shame, which is sad.

But let's be honest here -- Roger was absolutely one fo the most creative, inventive, texturally unique guitarists of the ENTIRE 70s, not just the best guitarist in Heart.

And hey -- I applaud you for trying to get THAT SOUND into a pedal, and if you do, I would certainly love to try one.....

Have you asked for Roger's input?

19. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

and if there weren't so much pain, hurt, burnt bridges, and bad feelings.......can you EVEN IMAGINE a summer tour of the REAL 70s HEART?

i would GLADLY pay my $125 a seat for my "golden circle" tickets for THAT, rather than go see the Eagles :YinYang

20. virtualtoad

virtualtoad Member

No, we haven't - I don't really see the need. I have Howard's original unit. Replicating it is simply an (not so simple) engineering problem. The only real issue is that a few of the components are utterly obsolete, but we've identified substitutes, and we're working on making it perfect.