Toadworks

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Aj_rocker, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Aj_rocker

Aj_rocker Member

hey
    I keep hearing loads about them and though it would be kool if any TGP
    have you used them?

Aj

(p.s Im looking at buying the death rattle)

2. KRosser

KRosser Member

The Death Rattle looks like it could potentially be fun and somewhat useful for me. I just ordered a Redux and I'm going to use it on a few gigs this weekend (unless I really hate it immediately...), so we'll see...my first time trying one of their products

3. TieDyedDevil

TieDyedDevil Member

I'm a huge fan of the Redux, but there are lot of opinions at the opposite end of the spectrum. It's not your typical delay pedal.

4. KRosser

KRosser Member

I'm encouraged by both observations ;)

And, I'm glad to hear you like yours! Mine should be here Thursday...

5. longgonedaddy

longgonedaddy Supporting Member

I've had the Death Rattle, John Bull and the Lil Leo. Still have the Leo and don't plan on getting rid of it. Teh only reason I got rid of the other two is that I've finally convinced myself that I don't like Marshall tones. They get great tones, but ones I don't like.

The Fender side of the DR and the Leo are both fantastic. The boost on the DR is great, I guess it's about the same as the Meat boost.

I would like it if they put out a pedal that was the DR without the Marshall side.

Yes, i like Toadworks products. I wouldn't hesitate to try any of their boxes.

6. Aj_rocker

Aj_rocker Member

Thats good, but can i ask why, is it that its too compressed?

Can you explain the what you mean but opposite end of the spectrum? how about roll off, do repeats get darker as they go on.

7. brian marshall

brian marshall Member

I have a Mr.Ed. I love it. It is a one trick pony, but it does the trick very very well. It has a nice early Van Halen sound to it, although possibly less gain than some people might want. It's also relatively inexpensive, as most of the toadworks pedals. Ryan does top notch work as well.

8. theHoss

theHoss Member

The meat was a very versitile boost. You can blend a fat boost into a clean boost. I dial in my Strat and my LP no problem.

$.02

9. muddy

muddy Member

oddly enough, for all my compaining re the redux, i REALLY like the way it sounds, & it's still on my pedalboard. my one request would be to add a 2nd fswitch for turning the 2nd delay on/off, & mainly because i can really only use it with a clean, sparkly guitar sound (it's just too noisey for overdriven lead work, but GORGEOUS for clean sounds). for me, this improvement would be HUGE! i have been DYING to get one of those enveloopes to try out! it HAS to be one of the kooler ideas-in-a-ped i've seen come down the pike in a long time!

ml

10. middlepickup

middlepickup Member

I owned and quickly got rid of Mr. Squishy and Li'l Leo.
    Did not live up to hype. Noisy. Not a big fan of this manufacturer.

11. TieDyedDevil

TieDyedDevil Member

Do a search here and on other places that have gear reviews. You'll find complaints about noise, about having to run it from a wall-wart, about the sound and about the way the controls behave.

It's not a hi-fi pedal, and that's what I like most about it. The echoes are subtle and murky. The repeats don't just get darker, they get ... the best way I can describe it to say that they get "blurry".

And the second delay is a stroke of genius. It's not just a two-tap delay. The second tap feeds back out-of-phase so you can get these odd irregular echo repeats or subtle phasing effects, depending upon how you set the delays relative to each other.

Most echo pedals are dead simple: controls for delay time, feedback, level and (sometimes) a filter on the feedback. Every control does exactly what you think it should do and nothing else. The Redux controls, on the other hand, are highly interactive and slightly non-intuitive. Depending upon your point of view, you could either say that their behavior is "deep" or "broken".

12. The Eristic

The Eristic Member

I own one of the very first Death Rattles, am trying to acquire a Redux, and am eagerly awaiting the Phantasm.

13. Aj_rocker

Aj_rocker Member

What the the death rattle like, like other have you found that its noisy? are the two channels very different from each other, and are the useable

thanks for letting me ask dumb questions

thanks

Aj

14. The Eristic

The Eristic Member

I haven't found it to be noisy at all.

The two channels sound great and are quite distinct, both in terms of gain on tap and voicing, and are certainly useful if you need one-stop access to the sounds they're shooting for. They get pretty darn close. The boost is fabulous, too, whether used alone, to fatten up the Tweed channel, or to send the Plexi side way over the edge.

I have individual pedals that do "better" sounds (they're also more expensive), but I don't have anything that affords the flexibility of the DR, and the newer versions are even more flexible and supposedly sonically superior.

15. longgonedaddy

longgonedaddy Supporting Member

I just don't like Marshall sounds. It sounds great, but not for me.

I would rather if they dropped in a Mesa or Vox channel in there.

16. brian marshall

brian marshall Member

The squishy (i believe) is a derivative of the orange squeezer. Its one of those "classic circuits" that some people like and some dont.

17. Aj_rocker

Aj_rocker Member

any more love for toadworks??

AJ

18. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

I have the original Death Rattle, and I think that the marshall side is quite good. The tweed side shines of course, and then the boost is great unto itself. However, what's amazing is how well this pedal stacks. By using a clean amp with a cooking poweramp, you can use the death rattle to get your crunch channel and your lead sound. OR.. use it like i do, and use it stacked with another pedal for lead and sometimes even rhythm.

19. fugot

fugot Member

i have a phantasm phaser, that sounds as good as my shannon phaser , which is my gold standard of phasers. The phantasm does things I don't even know about...which is cool,.... i just think it sounds amazingly rich and just right swirly. it isn't small....and someday i will actually figure out what it really can do... am I helping??