Toasted a 6v6 in my 6g3 Brownface Deluxe clone - suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Mattbedrock, May 23, 2015.

1. Mattbedrock

Mattbedrock Silver Supporting Member

My 6g3 Brownface Deluxe clone sees a lot of gigging time and one of my NOS Sylvania 6v6's gave up in spectacular fashion. Awful noise and some smoke. Dramatic!

[​IMG]

Turns out the smoke came from the 470 ohm resistor on the tube socket, so probably it developed an internal short. It gave me several years of hard use, so no complaints. I put a spare pair of black RCAs in it for now, but I don't like them as well as the Syls. But checking online, a nos matched pair is around $100. Anyone have a recommendation of something a little more affordable for this circuit, or should I just bite the bullet and get another set of Sylvanias?

Thanks!

2. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

I like the JJ 6V6 but some don't like them because they say they don't sound like a 6V6. They are a stronger 6V6 and can be run a little hotter. I like their sound.

3. Steppin' Wolfe

Steppin' Wolfe Member

mY two cents??? I would not run any new set of tubes in that amp without first ascertaining exactly how the amp is functioning. Yes, that resistor may have failed all on its own...or the tube may have failed and taken the fuse with it. OR....something more serious may be going on.
    That is not the original screen grid resistor, so I assume that the amp has received proper service....fresh electrolytics...at some time, right? IF not, then ime and imho that needs to be looked at. I start there...then voltages are of importance. Biasing...that amp doesn't have an adjustment pot, but that doesn't mean that biasing doesn't take place when you replace power tubes. One could have two sets of the finest NOS RCA's that operate very differently in that circuit...and yield two very different sonics. I like to know what the plate dissipation is with different tubes in a circuit...this gives me a basis for comparison. I can't really fairly compare the sonics of tubes that are dissipating only 38% of max plate dissipation against a pair that is dissipating 60% of mpd. A simple trim pot in series with the bais resistor in that map would allow a person to tailor the biasing to any set of tubes....keeping in mind that the bias vary trem is dependent on the power tubes' function....and at some point one can bias the trem right out of the picture and into a non-functioning status.

4. Tone Meister

Tone Meister Member

5. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

It's a clone..................................

6. Mattbedrock

And I built it myself. It has adjustable bias and yes, I know how to. I know the circuit well and checked it out to make sure it was operating normally. I bias to 60-70%.

So, back to my original question...

7. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Sure you could get more affordable current production, but you'll probably be burning through them every couple years.

Saw these other day, says their coming from a case of 100 and he has a maxi matcher.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=301637574773

If you like Sylvania you'll probably like The CBS clear glass too.

8. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

If you like the Sylvania's, then go for another set. The set lasted you several years, so I'm sure they are well worth it if you dig the tone. Keep an eye open for Sylvania 7408's. It's just an industrial number for a 6V6GTA and once in a while you see them for a very reasonable price.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  9. bandmaster

bandmaster Member

I would go for NOS Sylvanias, I have an original 1963 Brown Deluxe and I also favor the Sylvanias. If you go for new tubes, I would try the TAD 6V6's.

10. Che_Guitarra

Che_Guitarra Member

Wake up the old girl with some JJ 6V6s mate.

11. ballynally

ballynally Member

12. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    After having been through this exercise ("what sounds like my XYZ tubes which I LOVE, but is cheaper?") many times, I'd say get what you already know that you love. More often than not people end up spending MORE money chasing lower cost, in the long run.

Also note that NOS tubes generally last 5 times as long as modern tubes.

Just sayin'.

13. bgood

bgood Member

I'm running the Tung Sol 6v6 in my Hot Fudge w nuts and I'm not wild about them. I've been meaning to get something else.

14. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

What is your plate voltage?

15. Mattbedrock

Mike, you're dead on as always. I bought the Sylvanias from you on your recommendation and I loved them. I guess I just love shopping around for new stuff. Like those GE's you have on your website. Hah!

Swivel - the amp runs around 396 on the plates.

I played the amp for a while last night with the Raytheons in it and it sounded pretty darn good.