Today I tried 2 boutique pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bopplayer, Dec 18, 2009.

1. bopplayer

bopplayer Member

Tried two pedals i've been wanting to check out for a while through a Cornford Roadhouse and Suhr classic. Not impressed! they were the Klon Centaur (all silver) and the BSM-HS I just thought they are both pretty generic germanium? over drives. No better than an OCD.

2. jtw

jtw Member

ok? Klon isn't germanium-based though.

3. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Silver Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure you have to be playing pretty loud for the Centaur to sound its best.

4. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Member

Sure, but at loud volumes things can change up on you.

5. Mesanixta

Mesanixta Member

Since I started purchasing Boutique I have learnt a few things.

Just because people rave about pedal X doesn't mean it is any good, for you. Alot of the hype is through rose colored glasses. Second what you heard yesterday isn 't going to be what you are going to hear today. Thirdly, some pedals like the Klon and BSM stuff need to be used in a professional manner. It really isnt a plug and play toy. But when you find its "setup" nothing beats it - this especially true for the BSM. These pedals are only going to work towards a certain sound with certain gear. This is usually retrospective sounds. It is all subjective to the point some pedal builders will say something like " there is no such thing as bad effects only bad use of effects" which is only a half truth at best

have fun!! :stir

6. sutherland

sutherland Supporting Member

Boutique has little to nothing to do with quality. I think having a mind-set of quality is unfair to boutique builders and mass-producers alike. If it doesn't sound good to you, it doesn't....boutique has nothing to do with it.

7. bopplayer

bopplayer Member

Ok take the word boutique out. True I wasn't playing live, but the Klon I thought was nothing special, and the BSM certainly had some vintage vibe going like Ritchie Blackmore. The Klon I just wasn't impressed.

8. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Wow...You mean if I turn my Marshall or Fender up really loud it sounds good? ;)

9. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Silver Supporting Member

Haha, you know what I mean. The Klon sounds best when an amp is breaking up a bit. I wouldn't use it at bedroom volumes with a clean amp.:facepalm

10. JeffOlson

JeffOlson Member

My problem is EVERYTHING sounds better loud, but I can't play loud enough most of thectime. If I could, I would not need much in the way of dirt pedals.

11. FXMonkey

FXMonkey Member

I haven't had the chance to try the Klon out yet, but I guess it would be tough for it to live up to all the hype.

12. vintage66

vintage66 Member

True. I played through a 10 watt Goodsell and I'm pretty sure I'd never need a dirt pedal with that thing-sounds so nice by itself. Problem is, even with it cranked, I could talk over it. My 50 watt Marshall makes my ears hurt to get a good cranked sound out of it so I almost always have to use a pedal.

13. vintage66

vintage66 Member

I don't think not sounding better than an Ocd is really that bad a thing-most people consider that pretty boutique, it's just not uber-expensive or hard to find, and it is one of those pedals that sounds good at lower volumes. I've never tried the other two mentioned, but I've heard that about the Klon that it needs volume. The FDII is somewhat like that-it's not even on my board right now but when I'm playing with a band, it seems to be the one that gets used the most.

14. slacker

slacker Senior Member

This is a classic scenario. People read the hype surrounding the Klon and then go and try one usually at low volume without a band. IMHO the Klon is useless in this setting and it wasnt designed for it anyway. The usual conclusion is that it's ok as a boost but the overdrive is horrible, boxy etc.

The Klon is deserving of all the hype if it is used with an amp on the edge of breakup in a band or recording situation. It sits in a mix unlike anything else I have (KOT FD2 Blackstone Fuzz Factory).

My one size fits all pedal is the King Of Tone, it works with all of my other gear in any application it is the IMHO best sound od for Rickenbackers which I am currently into. However when I am playing in a crowded band (2 guitars drums bass keys sax percussion loads of backing singers) and need overdriven sounds,
    My LP Klon and Cornell combo give me the exact sound I want without domiating the mix or disappearing.

Apologies for the long post...

15. Mesanixta

Mesanixta Member

Buy a single ended tube amp - 5 to 10 watts. Problem solved. I bought a cornford Harlquin and its so goooooood.