Today was a "good tone" day - Komet + Scumback content...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Chrissy, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

You know… one of those days when you just love your tone and are glad you have the rig you do and you actually didn’t think “now if only I had <insert piece of gear on your GAS list here> then everything in the world would be better!”.

[​IMG]

First off, I just popped in a set of used but test great Mullard XF2 (Valvo labelled) EL34 into the Komet 60. The preamp tubes were V1 Mullard, V2 RCA and V3 Brimar already. (On an aside, after trying Amperex, Valvo and RCA rectifiers I stock with the stock Sovtek…) Biased just under 30mA the K60 sounds killer. I had to have a pair of these after John “Stekks” brought a pair to a Tone Fest recently and they sounded so balanced across all the frequencies with a big chewy crunch to them.

The 2x12 Germino runs open back and has 2 Scumback (yes, that’s right… pre Southbay :) ) SA12H75HP in it. Great cab and great speakers!

The Lester is my R7 Murphy Goldtop with Holmes pickups, RS kit, lightweight Tone Pros tailpiece and AVRII. Sounds chunky, woody and thick through this amp/cab and rolled back cleans are sweet, sweet, sweet.

The strat is a 60s CS and has a Callaham trem and a set of Lollar Blondes with a blender pot wiring harness. Just got these pickups from a TOYZ/TGP friend (thanks Brian!) and they are beautiful. I previously had a Fralin VH set with baseplate and these are so much more my thing – beautiful clean and edge of break-up tones and even the in between positions (which up till now have not been my thing) grabbed my attention). Imagine the neck position with a touch of echo from my EchoCzar into the Komet on 01:30 and the tones were so pretty.

So there you go – maybe all this tone-seeking does finally pay off! Of course, I’m aware that tomorrow I’ll be longing for something else regardless but as Hannibal used to say: “I love it when a plan comes together!” :)

Chris

2. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Gotta love it when your gear is working for you!

3. illinimax

illinimax Gold Supporting Member

Nice gear! I sent you a pm on the Antiquities.

4. laurencer83

laurencer83 Member

hey, how do you like the holmes pups in your lp? i've been wanting to get a good pair of humbuckers for my 69 sg standard(non original pups). i know the holmes are more expensive but i don't mind spending more money if the product is good. did you try any other humbuckers before the holmes?

5. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Nice rig...I'll post a pic of mine later. :)

6. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

I like the Holmes a lot for their fatness and juiciness. My Les Paul is quite warm sounding acosutically so I had to adjust the neck pickup a while to get the clarity I wanted and still retain fullness, but I'm very happy. The Holmes have been in this guitar for a couple of years now. Bridge is nice and fat and sounds really nice and chunky when overdriven. I like to roll back my guitar volume for cleans (1000pF+150kohm mod on both vols) and that works out a real treat.

Other pickups that I've had in this guitar. The stock 57 classics were too harsh on the bridge for me. I tried Fralins which were overall a bit hotter and more modern sounding to my ear, but not what I wanted. The Antiquities are nice and airy and also warm, they were my second favourite, but the Holmes seemed to gel better with this guitar.

Chris

7. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I have one of those SA12H75HP's. I like it pretty well. I ordered another one with a small dustcap to compliment it.

8. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

Interesting! What tonal difference is to be expected from the small dust cap?

I have a set of SA12H-55 on the way to go in a 4x12 cab - can't wait to hear those too... Loved the clips of the 55 on the Southbay site and now I wann hear them in my rig.

Chris

9. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Pre Southbay Scumbacks, of course. :)

[​IMG]

10. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

:eek: :eek: :eek:

That looks... kinda familiar! Nice rig gkelm! Tell me about the Paul please.

Chris

11. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

I have to admit, there is usually a JMP 50 stuck in between. :) I have yet to experint to eny extent with tubes in the Komet, I'm sure thre are other worlds to expore with that.

The LP is a humble Edwards Jimmy Page relic model.

Greg

12. SReynolds

SReynolds Supporting Member

2 nice looking rigs!!