Today's concensious on the most realistic spring reverb pedal of 2020

tjmicsak

So I'm looking for the most realistic spring tank reverb in a pedal- with real splash, boing, and all.
The goal is to comp the guitar part of Dave Dudley's Six Days On The Road. The part I can do, the effect is what I need.
Some say compression before or after the reverb is also part, but I need THE pedal that will give me that reverb to start with.
Not looking to buy the actual tube outboard large unit- and there has to be some pedals that get close enough to those today that it might not even be needed....
Suggestions?

Danelectro Spring King. It has a spring in it. the pan isn't as long as a fender tank but it still does the reverb crash just like dick dale kicking a fender tank off a grange hall stage!

Bob T.

Anasounds Element if you want to mount the tank beneath your pedalboard.

Source Audio True Spring if you want a killer digital spring reverb with great tremolo available. I own the True Spring, and my search is done.

axdxm

Supporting Member
I'm going to say Source Audio True Spring. It drips, it sounds extremely close to the real deal. That said, the Flint doesn't do the extreme sounds but seems to sit in a mix easier.

Tung-Sol Tube

Source Audio Ventris and True Spring have some of the most realistic 6G15 outboard spring sounds.

On a budget, the EHX Oceans 11 has a great 6G15 emulation.

Riffa

Not the newest offering, but the Hardwire Supernatural has a great sounding spring 'verb IMO.

dhdfoster

Silver Supporting Member
SA True Spring does sound pretty great. I wish they would have opted to keep the dry signal analog, though. Yes, yes, I know, no one can probably hear the difference, but it bothers me. I assume it's this way to allow the trem as an added feature.

De Batz

I have a Strymon Flint that I thought sounded pretty good on the 60s spring reverb mode.

Then I bought an outboard tube spring reverb (A Valvetrain Spring Thing, for those who want to know).

Yikes.

It's not the sound of a space; it's an effect. But my, my, what an effect!

jamester

Silver Supporting Member
Generally I have never been impressed with digital spring reverb recreations, and that goes for my beloved Flint as well.

If I were looking today, it would be between the CBread Topanga and the SA True Spring.

oldpotion

Not exactly a pedal, but the real spring outboard units (e.g. surfy industries mini) are in a completely different league to the modelling pedals, in my opinion. If spring is really important to you, I would seriously look at those to save yourself some frustration in the long run. I'm just thinking of your search for "the most realistic" ...

Not to hate on the digital offerings -- I enjoyed a boss FRV for many years.

macrossgeorge

Silver Supporting Member
After going through several digital pedals I landed on a SurfyBear Metal. Best reverb ever IMO. This is a real, long pan, spring reverb unit. I did switch out the stock long decay pan with a medium decay pan ($30 easy replacement). Very expensive and quite large but it is one of the best purchases I ever made. I dont even put it on my pedalboard but just keep it next to my amp. Highly recommend the Surfybear.

I've tried only a couple that offered something like an outboard Fender reverb sound. Boss FRV-1 and EHX Oceans 11. EHX is way better, quite realistic drip. The Boss unit sounds like a parody in comparison.

Trending Topics